NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How long do female greys produce eggs?

Kya

Just read the thread about the 20 year old Amazon laying the single egg, and this got me wondering at approximately what age do greys stop laying eggs? I guess I initially assumed 19 year old Gracie was probably past her egg laying days, but now that I think about it in terms of life span, I probably should stop assuming anything.

And, is being in close proximity to a male going to increase egg production?

(I bet Dave has the answer to my question posted somewhere, I just can't find it!)

Just read the thread about the 20 year old Amazon laying the single egg, and this got me wondering at approximately what age do greys stop laying eggs? I guess I initially assumed 19 year old Gracie was probably past her egg laying days, but now that I think about it in terms of life span, I probably should stop assuming anything.

And, is being in close proximity to a male going to increase egg production?

(I bet Dave has the answer to my question posted somewhere, I just can't find it!)

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?202933-About-Egg-Laying&highlight=Laying+eggs

Thank you, Talon. Interesting read, but I am more concerned with what age range they are most fertile. I have googled and googled and I found one vague article that hinted to reproduction into their 30s.

Since egg binding is always something we need to be on the lookout for, it was great to read the comment that Dave made about it being very rare in CAGs.

I certainly do not plan on babies, too many in rescues needing homes for that to even be a consideration, and Gracie and Kya are not bonded. Yet...But hormone season is upon us and it certainly has me thinking. In the big scheme of things, 19 isn't really that old for a CAG, so it's just something I thought I might need some answers for before a problem arises. I do know she has laid eggs in the past, I just don't know when or how often.

We have a almost 30 year old. Last egg was 2 years ago. However it has been about that long ago for my 15 year olds also. So i don't know if she is done or if they are just not in the mood anymore since daddy hasn't had as much time for long one on ones for the last 1.5 years. Lol

Kya's hormones seem to be in overdrive, we've had him for a little over a year and this is the first time I have seen him hormonal. Of course, we just added a pretty little girl to the mix 2 weeks ago. We don't want to breed - we are firmly into rescue and will not add to the problem, I just know that with 2 birds it can happen and wondered about her fertility with her being 19. It's easy enough to remove eggs, and from what I understand it is very rare for a grey to become egg bound, but I just kind of wanted to be prepared for what could happen. They are not bonded, yet. In fact, they could not care less about each other at this time. There is no aggression, they just ignore each other for the most part.

Kya has actually shown nesting behavior in the past couple of days, he's shredding newspaper like a wild man, and not that chicken scratch that they do - he is taking pieces of newspaper up to his favorite perch and shredding it from there. Bless his heart. He's optimistic, to say the least.

My husband got nipped yesterday by Kya for the first time, and he got in my hood on my hoodie and yanked my hair a few times. I think he saw potential nesting material.

Gracie is totally oblivious as to what is going on. Would the introduction of a female caused him to all of a sudden realize he is a male? I suppose so. Up until now, he thought he could mate with my husband!

It is like young human males they see a cute girl and have to show off. She should be fertile but their hormones respond to the seasonal daylight length and foods available and mood. Keep her calcium levels optimal too avoid egg binding a good healthy diet with fresh greens is always a good idea.

It's hard to say at what age greys stop or no longer have the ability to breed. I cannot find any scientific facts on the web concerning this. I do know the Breeder we got Dayo from had a pair of Greys in their 30's at the time. That was 9, almost 10 years ago now. They are still breeding that pair. Hope this helps.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2016/12/10/Worlds-oldest-breeding-albatross-Wisdom-lays-egg-at-age-66/2811481396222/

I saw this article which says this albatross laid a documented egg at 66 yo. Then I googled "albatross lifespan" & it returned 42 yrs. :confused::confused: So, as long as the bird is alive & then some...? lol

Just maybe it's actually better if this question doesn't get a clear answer to lull you into a false sense of complacency anyway. The problem is that we're still in the infancy of recorded bird keeping. We are only in the very, very earliest stages of it's Renaissance. Even if we did have an answer, it wouldn't necessarily apply going forward given today's advances.

Also, a change in lifestyle can trigger all kinds of changes in physiology either way. Logically, that means hormones which potentially means egg production. Even if a breed might not normally have a mating drive after a given age any given bird might surprise you, too.

I personally have reconciled w/the idea that I am no match for Mother Nature. A happy, healthy hen is apt to lay eggs. Really should be laying eggs if you think about it.

Give them all the sunlight, calcium, fresh food & exercise possible.

Pay special attention to any nesting type behaviors, items or areas.

Read everything you can in advance from reputable sources.

Make sure you have a vet who is readily available.

Don't obsess over it anymore than you would about living w/a flighted bird & you'll all probably live pretty happily ever after. jmho

Kya's hormones seem to be in overdrive, we've had him for a little over a year and this is the first time I have seen him hormonal. Of course, we just added ******* to the mix 2 weeks ago. ********they could not care less about each other at this time. There is no aggression, they just ignore each other for the most part.

Kya *******is taking pieces of newspaper up to his favorite perch and shredding it from there. **********

My husband got nipped yesterday by Kya for the first time, and he got in my hood on my hoodie and yanked my hair a few times. ************

Gracie is totally oblivious as to what is going on. Would the introduction of a female caused him to all of a sudden realize he is a male?

When I read what you wrote, this is what I saw. I'm wondering how much is about the new fid in Kya's territory. It coincidentally showed up during mating season when he could be expected to be running a little hotter. But does that automatically mean he's getting excitable about the new girl?

Remember, this is a breed who mates for life. So what are the odds that he hasn't done that somewhere before now? Idk the answer anymore than I expect you do. But what if he's just hormonal & aggressively territorial at this point? He might just be posturing in a manner that has nothing to do with anything except his displeasure at having his world invaded & the hormones might not actually have as much as you'd think to do w/it.

Not saying you're wrong at all. I just wanted to put that out there as another possible perspective about what might be going on here. If I've learned one thing in all these years, its that they're inscrutable sometimes. What was so obvious to me in the beginning may not be so much by the end. No one says it's only one thing at a time, either.

In this case, I'd be willing to bet a nickel that Kya's behavior is related at least in part by the new fid. But beyond that...

Edited by birdhouse

Excellent points, birdhouse. I guess Kya was so accepting of her from day one that I just didn't let my mind wander in that direction.

Coincidentally, (or maybe not) we have had an exceptionally warm winter, many days with the windows wide open, and we did gain a little over an hour of daylight the month of February, plus our daylight savings time hit last weekend, right about the time Kya started to act like a 16 year old boy in a room full of super models.

We have noticed he's even being a bit more aggressive towards my husband when changing out his bowls, but his aggression towards him is only while he is in his cage. He's acting totally normal when out of the cage. Gracie is not yet bold enough to join in the fun - Kya is a Velcro bird when out of cage, she prefers to play on her play stand or climb all over her cage. Kya tried flying over to hang out with her one night this week and it scared her into flight - the first time we have seen her fly. I really don't think he was any threat to her, she just wasn't ready for him to invade her space.

Both get calcium supplements daily, Kya was a plucker when we got him - he isn't anymore but he doesn't like enough fresh foods that are high in calcium to get what he needs so I help him out. Gracie is getting calcium supplements daily, as well, due to her semi naked state, and the fact that she is an older female, and I guess I will always worry about the egg thing. (That's what I do. I worry. Just ask my kids!)

Don't forget if Kya's getting good quality commercial pellets then he's supposed to be getting the recommended daily calcium w/all the rest of his vitamins, minerals, etc. Supposedly. Actually he's probably not, of course since every body is not the same & they don't make any distinctions between male/female, old/young, breed, quality of life,etc. But he'd be getting a bunch.

Point being it's a good idea to be cautious of supplements which can be tricky. Too much can be as bad too little sometimes. Generally not the worst idea to run it by the vet before adding supplements to most fid's diets. With the main goal always being toward fresh feeding.

Don't give up on Kya no matter how long he takes to come around. Phenix took years & wasted more food than I ever want to actually contemplate. Now he's the best eater around.

Maybe if you're very lucky, the new girl will be a good eater & help Kya come around.

Edited by birdhouse

Don't forget if Kya's getting good quality commercial pellets then he's supposed to be getting the recommended daily calcium w/all the rest of his vitamins, minerals, etc. Supposedly. Actually he's probably not, of course since every body is not the same & they don't make any distinctions between male/female, old/young, breed, quality of life,etc. But he'd be getting a bunch.

Point being it's a good idea to be cautious of supplements which can be tricky. Too much can be as bad too little sometimes. Generally not the worst idea to run it by the vet before adding supplements to most fid's diets. With the main goal always being toward fresh feeding.

Don't give up on Kya no matter how long he takes to come around. Phenix took years & wasted more food than I ever want to actually contemplate. Now he's the best eater around.

Maybe if you're very lucky, the new girl will be a good eater & help Kya come around.

You are 100% correct, but Kya came to us over a year ago with a horrible diet. The first morning we had him, he demanded a pop tart for breakfast, and had pretty much lived on peanuts and sunflower seeds. He was a mess, and has come a long way. He will eat the fruity Zupreem pellets, but that is the ONLY actual pellet he will touch. I actually buy a really good formula of Vitakraft that has no sunflower seeds and mix it half and half with Roudybush Crumbles. The crumbles are so tiny that they are disguised in with what he believes to be seed, so he gets that. Gracie is actually a very good eater, and has helped quite a bit on the fresh foods, as I have their cages side by side and food bowls facing each other, so they stare at each other and eat.

I did actually consult with the vet on the calcium, Kya gets minimal amount, Gracie is getting more until she's fully feathered again, if she is fully feathered again. At the rate her feathers are growing back, I have no doubt she will be. Because she is a female, I will probably continue her calcium supplements at the minimal amount that Kya gets now.

I never give up. We've had Kya for over a year, and I continue to offer him new things, especially since little Gracie likes everything. He isn't too fond of anything green, and is terrified of strawberries, but has now started to eat a bit of egg, and will eat some whole grain pastas and loves corn. He wouldn't touch any of this when we got him. But he certainly has made progress!

I would love to have them both on a better pellet diet, I don't care much for the Zupreem fruit, but am comfortable with the Roudybush crumbles. Just wish I didn't have to disguise them!