NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Gracie & Kya - the road home

Kya

I know we always say they telegraph their bites, but this is extreme. I'd love to meet Kya someday. He's quite the character.

Oh, the more he talks about biting, the more we know someone is going to get bitten. We pretty much know who, it's just a matter of when. Sometimes he will spend an hour convincing himself that he's not going to bite, but I have learned he is not beyond telling a lie. It's as if he is trying to talk himself out of his urges, or lull us into a false sense of security. I am usually the recipient of said bite with Kya, my husband does NO wrong. He has never brought blood, though. It's just a reminder that although I am his slave, I am not his favorite person in the house.

We really got very lucky with Kya, and with Gracie, especially with Kya coming from a very loving (albeit misinformed) home. He just moved right in and took charge of the house. I love the contrast between him and Gracie. Not sure either of us could handle two Kya's at once! He is like living with a stand up comedian who is always on stage, unless he is sleeping. If he can't think of anything else to do, he mimics full phone conversations.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much new going on, but Gracie did make me cry before work one morning this past week, and it didn't involve a bite!

I was in the bathroom getting ready for work, and I heard her say (in my voice) "Good girl, Gracie. You are a good girl!" That's a far cry from "bad bird" and "nooooo" and "stop that", which were the only words she spoke when we got her. You would have thought my kid made the honor roll. I talked about it all day to anyone who would listen. Not sure they understood why I was so excited when they know they talk all the time, but I told them all, nonetheless!

Hormones are raging in this house, worse than I have ever seen them. Kya is a real handful, and even more stubborn than usual. Gracie doesn't seem to be affected, and of course, Kya wants to mate with my husband. It's like a zoo.

I was in the bathroom getting ready for work, and I heard her say (in my voice) "Good girl, Gracie. You are a good girl!" That's a far cry from "bad bird" and "nooooo" and "stop that", which were the only words she spoke when we got her. You would have thought my kid made the honor roll. I talked about it all day to anyone who would listen. Not sure they understood why I was so excited when they know they talk all the time, but I told them all, nonetheless!

Not to burst your well deserved euphoria bubble at all. It's always wonderful to hear happy chatter from a fid. But it might not be as bad as all that.

My guys do the "Bad bird. Nooo" monologue a bunch. I have not idea why it's so amusing. But apparently it is. Believe me when I say it has absolutely no reflection on anyone's real life. For starters, I always say, "Shame on you --name--!" lol

I've actually thought if anyone from the SPCA ever heard them, they'd be out of here so fast! And I have to wonder whether they'd believe what was coming out of a fid's own beck over all of my friends who would be tripping over themselves to tell anyone who'd listen how good these little beasties actually have it. But I know I don't ever want to find out!

I'll definitely take what I can get with this girl, birdhouse! It's fun to watch a 20 year old parrot learn to say new things, period. We only know about one of her previous owners, and he wasn't overly patient with her, she was surrendered because he "didn't have time".

This week, she came up with a new one, perfectly executed at just the right time, in my voice. (So close that my husband thought I said it!)

Everyone had just gone back into their cage for the evening and I'm refilling bowls for the night. Kya is always a jerk when I go to remove his bowl, not so much when I replace it. The bowl is attached to a door that swings out, and I know I am in for the battle of the day when I go to get his. He will grab it and pull back on it, spilling everything everywhere, or he will grab the door and slam it while I am trying to slip the bowl out of it's holder. It's become somewhat of a game for him between us, so I'm pretty tolerant. When he slams the door on me, he will laugh like a maniac. I don't think it's ever once occurred to him that he's getting fresh food.

We were going through our ritual one night this week and Kya was playing his part. He flipped the bowl out of my hand as soon as I got it free of the holder, and before I could say a word, Gracie Lou said "Kya, don't be such a dick!"

Since she got a laugh from both of us, she now sees it as high entertainment value, so every time he says or does anything, she repeats it.

So very different, those two...

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I have been MIA for a bit. I don't know where the time went. It may be the lure of sunshine and the pool and float that are accountable for my absence. I have no self control and tend to grab all of the hot Kentucky summer that I can.

Kya and Gracie are doing great.

Kya is a hot mess, as always. Yesterday I was cleaning his cage and as soon as he saw me headed his way with newspapers, he started yelling "OUCH" over and over. I was thankful he gave me a heads up and managed to get his cage done without a bite, but we talked about it a LOT.

One morning this week, we were leaving for work, and he will start in about 10 minutes before we leave with his ritualistic "Give me a kiss. I'll be back. I love you." We were running behind and my husband kissed him goodbye, but I was on my way out the door and he yelled "GIVE ME A KISS!!!" He comes to the top of his cage and sticks his beak out, and he cackled a bit when he saw me headed back towards him. I kissed him on his beak and he said "Whoa, boy, that was a good one!" (I made a smacking noise when I kissed him, he makes a huge exaggerated smacking noise for kisses, so I guess he was telling me I did a good job.)

We have had beautiful weather this week, so I have had the windows open. We came home from work one evening and the lady next door asked if we had monkeys in the house. It must have been a particularly vocal day, our houses aren't too close.

Gracie continues to progress, and I continue to accept that she and Kya may be the same species, but could not be any more different from each other if they were dog and cat. She loves us dearly, both of us, but she is so much more independent than Kya. We give her space, and she's happy. She accidentally learned she could fly last weekend, I think she had plucked so long that she had forgotten it was a possibility. She was on the back of the couch and for the first time, Kya flew over to where she was. (He's usually too busy loving on his daddy to even notice her.) It startled Gracie and she flew into the kitchen. She looked as shocked as I was. I am constantly amazed at how much she eats. She will eat anything offered to her, and if Kya isn't looking, she will eat his, too. He's twice her size, so I am not sure where she puts it all, but she's like a bottomless pit. Oh, and she is still telling Kya he is a dick on a regular basis. I tend to agree with her most of the time.

Haaa to the monkeys in the house! I don't know what my neighbors think, and they are pretty close. I did notice an odd look the other day. The neighbor was leaving as I was coming home. As soon as the car door opens I can hear Timber whistling and calling, so I respond of course. As I am emitting sharp, piercing whistles as I proceed up the walk, the neighbor is looking at me with a puzzled, yet slightly alarmed expression.