NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My Method

lisachristine

Is your bird scared of you or your hand? Bites your hand? Or just plain wont leave it's cage? Here's sweet Rosie's story and a method that seemed to work for us. First a little background:

When I first received Rosie, a two year old rescue grey with plucking issues, I had no clue what I was in for. I had other small parrots, but obviously not ANYTHING like a grey. I grew up around my Aunt's grey and knew how wonderful and majestic these creatures were and someday knew I would have one. When I bought my first home, I decided to take on a rescue bird of my own. There was a rescue grey in town and by word of mouth she pretty much landed in my lap over night. I was excited to finally have my own grey and companion just like my Aunt!! I have ALWAYS had a special connection with animals and thought for sure I would win Rosie's heart and we would live happily ever after. WRONG... My expectations were completely shattered the day Rosie entered my life. That day, I situated her big cage in an area that I thought was appropriate and next brought in her covered carrying cage with her in it. As I slowly uncovered her, she began SCREAMING and throwing her body against the cage bars over and over again. Her wild eyes zoomed in on me and blood from broken feathers splattered across the wall behind her like a horror movie. I have never felt so many emotions in my life! Fear, sympathy, panic, regret all at the same time. I knew that I had to stop the bleeding. I had been told before that birds could bleed out pretty quickly if action was not taken so I ran to get the styptic powder and a towel. I had never handled a bird like this before and was scared to death. I dove in, covered her with a towel (she was laying on her back still screaming). With wings batting, blood slinging, feet grabbing, and both of us crying I FINALLY was able to swaddle her and stop the bleeding. We sat on the floor, both out of breath, my hands bleeding from bites and her gasping for air from a gaping beak. When I felt her body relax a little, I slowly stood up and put her in the big cage. She once again screamed and jumped to the bottom of her cage. This was the routine for almost TWO YEARS......Anytime anyone would walk by her cage, she would scream and jump, sometimes breaking blood feathers on the way down. I found out later that her previous owner used to hit her cage with his cane to "shut her up". God only knows what else poor Rosie had to endure. Over a four year period, I finally habituated her to having my hands in her cage, feeding her by hand, and an occasional quick head scratch (she was a fear biter) She stopped jumping after two years but continued to scream if I mopped or swept near her. Now seven years later she no longer jumps or screams. The issue now days is actually getting her to step up onto my wrist and out of the cage. She's too fearful and will not leave her cage. Here's our progress:

Last year I decided to start training Rosie to step-up, however I noticed that every time I said "step-up" she would start quivering with fear. I though about this for quite awhile and come to the conclusion that maybe perhaps she had a strong association with "step-up" and her previous abusive owner. These birds are so smart! I even contemplated changing her name because she would quiver at the sound of her own name, but decided against it. I decided to reword "step-up", a demanding command, to "Come out?" which she is more relaxed with. I also noticed that when I tucked her in for the night, she was more relaxed and would let me give head scratches without biting. "Maybe I should try to handle her at night right before bed instead of during the day" I thought. "Maybe there are too many distractions with daylight that scare her". When it was time to interact with Rosie, I made sure all the overhead lights were off and a small night light was on. The week prior, I had ran a rope perch across the front of the door on her cage, that way I wasn't "reaching in" to get her. It allowed her to leave her favorite perch and go to the rope perch which keyed me in that she was willing to be social or come out vs. being forced to come out. The first couple of nights she would come down to the rope perch, I would give her treats, but if I offered my wrist she would quickly return to her favorite perch. Sure enough after about two months of offering my wrist to "come out?" she finally reached out to me with one foot! She held my wrist for about 30 seconds and then released. This went on for about a week then she finally made the decision to "come out" with both feet! I didn't move a muscle, my wrist was completely different than a 2 inch hard perch and I could tell the texture, temp, and girth of my wrist was awkward for her. I allowed her to step back on to the rope perch at any point instead of holding her hostage on my wrist by walking away from the cage. She needed my trust before going the next step. After two weeks of two feet on my wrists and LOTS of cuddling, I slowly began moving away from the cage. First night, one slow step away, pause and then step back and offered the rope perch, giving HER the choice to go back if it was to overwhelming for her. Second night, two slow steps away, pause and two steps back to the rope perch. This went on for months, but we are now able to walk around the house in DIM lighting. We stop in the kitchen for cheerio snacks and fresh water. Last night I decided that it was time to bump it up a notch. As we walked through the kitchen, I told Rosie that I was going to turn on the light. I reached over and flipped the overhead light on. She wasn't as anxious as I thought she would be, more curious than anything. In a couple of weeks, I going to try to habituate her to overhead lights while we walk around the house and the ultimate goal of "coming out" during the day. Hope this might help someone. Good luck and have patience!

Edited by lisachristine
grammar
  • Haha 1

Bless you for your patience with this scared little girl. Dorian wasn't Quite as bad as your Rosie, but he was totally cage bound and hand shy when I got him so I know a little bit of what you've been going through. He threw himself around a bit but never broke a blood feather. Your instincts have been bang on. I also had to change the phrase "step up" to "wanna come with mom?" because he had negative associations with the phrase. Isn't it so exciting the first time you leave the room the cage is in with your bird on your hand? Hope the transition to daytime wandering goes smoothly. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the encouraging words. I love her with all my heart, but I won't lie, some days I'll come home from work to a pile of feathers on the bottom of her cage (from plucking) and think maybe there's a better home for her out there. It makes me feel soooo inadequate as a grey owner. Some days I'll worry all day long "what can be the issue?", then I get on the forum and read all the stories about plucking and how not to take it personal if your grey plucks, if no medical issues are present of course. The forum has been a great support system for me! I just wish I could break the habit for her. It's so heartbreaking to watch and causes me so much anxiety.

Edited by lisachristine

Stay the course my friend, stay the course.

You will have some disappointments, and you will have days that make it all worth it.

I compare relationships with greys as I do with human beings.

Depending on your relationship, it can be a parent / child relationship, OR it can be a husband / wife relationship.

I heard one time, someone tell me bird people are strange people, just get a dog or a cat if your a normal person.

I think if you subscribe to that, you are a lazy person, not that dogs and cats are bad or having one puts you into a certain category. I had a Golden retriever for years till she died and it took me a long time to get over it.

Being a "Bird person" as they say, means you are a caring concerned human being, and you are willing to make he sacrifice to make a relationship work, same as a parent/child or husband/wife relationship. Working with these wonderful angels requires so much more of you as a person then a dog or a cat.

My brother is a Dog person 100% and every 10 or 11 years he has them cremated and put into a box and stacks them on his fireplace mantle. Please dont misunderstand me, I think that is a beautiful memorial, but after I lost lacy, I wanted to have someone to outlive me.

So, I rescued a grey, same as you did. Our Journey was long and will continue.

Just remember, life with a grey is forever, as far as your lifespan goes, so make it a good one, and you are off to a great start.

Thank you for rescuing one, instead of going to the pet shop. As the years go by, you both will comfort each other, probably do the equivalent of cry with each other, and in the end, who knows what will happen, Sukei surprises me everyday.

Good luck and thank you again.

Wow, what a great story! I'm so glad you had the patience to hang in there. I struggled a bit with Timber when I rehomed him, but nothing like what you and Rosie have faced. I have to use "wanna go" instead of step up. I'm very thankful that Timber was more neglected than abused, so his transition with me was 3-4 months, not years. I think Rosie is just where she needs to be. Kudos.

What a valiant effort you have put in to Rosie! My take on this as others have said is that she has done better with you than past homes and plucking is something MANY owners deal with. With that said, an abused Grey or any other bird may never recover and become trusting. However, they do become used to the environment they are now in. They know how the new owners act, their surroundings and most importantly have received no abuse other than having to be toweled which is a "Must Do" in some situations.

Thinking someone else may do better with her than you is not true. In my opinion it would reset her to to the state you found her in many years ago in a new place, new owner and scared to death. The main thing to remember is why you took her in. She was abused, needed help and a home that would do their best to make her feel at home, in a stable environment and safe.

Just know that you have made a big difference in a Greys life that had been a living hell. Remember, we are responsible for life for what we have tamed.

Hang in there, we are all always here anytime you want some support. :)

• Haha 1

You are so right about the relationship category Kevin D! Our relationship is definitely a mother/child relationship. In the morning before I head out to work, she yells out "Moms gotta go!" over and over with the sound of my purse zipping up. Every morning, as I reach for the front door, she frantically runs up and down on the front bars making horrendous noise which I'm assuming is a temper tantrum because she wants me to stay. So EVERY morning, running late and all, I turn around, walk to her cage, say give me a kiss (which she does), and I tell her softy "Don't cry, I'll be back. I love you". The best part of my day is coming home to her. Before I have a chance to dig my keys out to unlock the front door, I can already hear her making the sound of my car locking along with all the other crazy sounds a typical grey makes. Thanks everyone for your post!

Edited by lisachristine

My own experience with abused wild caught birds is too long a story to go into here (some is in my introduction post) and this post is about you and your Rosie. There is a special place in my heart for humans whose hearts are big enough to share love with these wonderful companions no matter where they come from, or what state they are in when they land in our nests. I don't have to know you to know that your heart is huge, your loyalty is unquestionable, and that *you* have also landed in the right place with the right feathered girl! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for loving her. She *will* continue to respond over time more and more and more. When all we ask of them is that they be nothing more than what they are, birds, and love them unconditionally in a relaxed way, they respond in their own ways and in their own time. Some nearly immediately, others over years.

HRH Inara also ramps up when I am going out the door. She used to make a huge racket and it is natural, when you think of it. It's not a tantrum, it's just a "HEY!!! We're flock buddies, and you're taking off without me, and I want to get past these bars and come with you. There could be danger out there with you by yourself." With Inara, I began giving her a cracked walnut in the shell right before I head out the door, and like you I tell her the same words each time -- in my case, "I am going bye-bye to work, and I will be back. I love you!" Now, when I pick up the keys, drop off her walnut, she says, "OK go bye-bye to work!"

How wonderful that Miss Rosie makes your car sounds and apparently is looking forward to you coming in the door. You have won her heart fair and square!

Is she actually plucking, or is she just periodically molting and so is leaving small piles of "snowflakes" (down) on the bottom of her cage with the occasional flight, and or tail feathers mixed in? You likely know the difference, but you'd be surprised at how many people do not and think this is plucking. If she is plucking, she may surprise you and eventually cease. Your attitude is wonderful, and the two of you sound as if you are truly meant for one another.

Cheering you on, and giving you both a warm welcome!!

Thank you Inara, for your kind words. I often times read these replies and am overcome with gratitude. Although I'd like to take all the credit, Rosie is the one that has done all the hard work. She is so brave to trust again. Although it's been a long journey I can honestly say that I enjoy every ounce of her, from the seed messes to the long night cuddles.

As far as the feathers, yes she is plucking. I believe this is do to conflicting emotions on her part. I can tell she so badly wants to come out of her cage, but because of her issues can not bring herself to adventure outside. She will toy with the idea of coming out (I have a perch on the outside of her cage), but at the last minute will go to the back of her cage and pull hard at a feather. The majority of the plucking however, will occur while I'm at work. Perhaps boredom or separation anxiety.

rosie 2.jpg

The longer it takes to rehab a rescue, the more time you have to second guess your ability. Of course there's someone out there who'd be better at reclaiming them. There's always someone better at every single thing we do. And that thought isn't such a bad thing in this case because there's no place for egos in dealing w/abused critters.

But the progress that Rosie has made to date is testament to the job you're doing. The odds that Rosie would have found someone to bring her this far back are like a zillion to one. The odds that she'll actually find someone to do the job better are like a zillion times that.

So until or unless that other person walks in the front door & Rosie jumps into their arms, believe in yourself enough to continue to muddle through. Actually invest in the realization that Rosie's daily interaction w/you is your reward for all that long, hard labor of selfless love.

I say this because I do get it. Yours & Rosie's echo's so many things about Phenix & my journey. A lot of what you've done. Soo many of the emotions. The staggering realization of what it actually means to trust at all, let alone again.

I can't even begin to imagine being that brave. I often wonder how many of us could. But there she is, slowly finding her way back into the world in spite of everything. You've given her enough reason to think it just might be worth giving the whole miserable lot of us another chance.

Shouldn't that alone be enough for you to realized what an incredible thing you've accomplished?

Edited by birdhouse

The longer it takes to rehab a rescue, the more time you have to second guess your ability. Of course there's someone out there who'd be better at reclaiming them. There's always someone better at every single thing we do. And that thought isn't such a bad thing in this case because there's no place for egos in dealing w/abused critters.

But the progress that Rosie has made to date is testament to the job you're doing. The odds that Rosie would have found someone to bring her this far back are like a zillion to one. The odds that she'll actually find someone to do the job better are like a zillion times that.

So until or unless that other person walks in the front door & Rosie jumps into their arms, believe in yourself enough to continue to muddle through. Actually invest in the realization that Rosie's daily interaction w/you is your reward for all that long, hard labor of selfless love.

I say this because I do get it. Yours & Rosie's echo's so many things about Phenix & my journey. A lot of what you've done. Soo many of the emotions. The staggering realization of what it actually means to trust at all, let alone again.

I can't even begin to imagine being that brave. I often wonder how many of us could. But there she is, slowly finding her way back into the world in spite of everything. You've given her enough reason to think it just might be worth giving the whole miserable lot of us another chance.

Shouldn't that alone be enough for you to realized what an incredible thing you've accomplished?

Birdhouse, this response just choked me up. So well said!!! '

And agree, LisaChristine, that your Rosie is one adorable and beautiful girl! I love love the expression on her little face in your profile pic.