NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A remedy for bleeding pins and other cuts?

Mistyparrot

I'd never heard of that before. But now that I've checked it out it looks like it could have some real potential. If I read right, it's some type of sugar (polysaccharides) basically. It looked like it might be marketed in the US for humans relatively soon, too. I'm going to do some more research. But you may just have found a good addition to the medicine chest there!

But even though something I read said it was good on moderate to severe bleeding, I'd wonder about broken feathers since they're actually an open vein. Still, if it can't actually stop the bleeding, maybe it can slow it enough to be a stop gap to buy time to get help. I'd be interested to hear what the vet's generally & avian vets in particular had to say.

How did you find this?

Edited by birdhouse

This is interesting. I just read the information as did Birdhouse and it does look promising. In regards using on a blood feather that has broken,I would recommend pulling it immediately to stop the bleeding. However, for those that may be overwhelmed with a 911 situation such as this with a bird that will be fairly upset with being toweled, biting etc. The new Vitegel might be a life saver if applied quickly. The problem will still be holding the bird to apply it. My thoughts are I would just pull the feather if I had the bird toweled for expediency. Vitegel may well be a good product where there is an open wound on their body you can easily get to with less fuss than a blood feather. Styptic Powder works well too and all bird owners should have some on hand at all times.

Thanks for sharing this.

Edited by danmcq

That's cuz you're an old pro. ") I think you may be overestimating how many people can actually pull a slippery, bleeding quill & w/o doing any wing or other damage though.

The first time I met Phenix he broke not 1 but 3 blood feathers trying to jump back onto his stand. He was too far away & hit the edge on the way to the floor. Blood everywhere. Thank goodness his caretaker was there to save the day. Calm as if he was plucking a Christmas goose. Whereas I was completely freaked! It was an excellent lesson, though. Every parront really should get someone to show them how it's done.

To this day, I don't honestly know how I'd do, if my feet were to the fire. Don't actually want to find out, either.

That's cuz you're an old pro. ") I think you may be overestimating how many people can actually pull a slippery, bleeding quill & w/o doing any wing or other damage though.

The first time I met Phenix he broke not 1 but 3 blood feathers trying to jump back onto his stand. He was too far away & hit the edge on the way to the floor. Blood everywhere. Thank goodness his caretaker was there to save the day. Calm as if he was plucking a Christmas goose. Whereas I was completely freaked! It was an excellent lesson, though. Every parront really should get someone to show them how it's done.

To this day, I don't honestly know how I'd do, if my feet were to the fire. Don't actually want to find out, either.

Good point and well taken. For someone not very experienced pulling a blood feather, the best thing to do is get their bird to an avian vet asap! :)