NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Under Wing Tear

chigz

Hi all,

Last year i posted about my CAG being a plucker and mutilator. We keep him in a collar to allow his feathers and skin to heal and then take it off and try and prevent him from doing it again.

However this time around his has managed to damage the under wing very badly and it just wont heal. It is constantly scabbing with dried blood. We have taken to our avian vet (C J Hall) who just advise us to keep him in the collar again to allow it to heal and gave us antibiotics and inflammatory.

I am very concerned as its a slow bleed that what heal. Every time he opens his wing the slightest it tears the wound open. Any advise would be much appreciated. Should I bandage the wing down to allow it to heal?

Thank you

Hi all,

Last year i posted about my CAG being a plucker and mutilator. We keep him in a collar to allow his feathers and skin to heal and then take it off and try and prevent him from doing it again.

However this time around his has managed to damage the under wing very badly and it just wont heal. It is constantly scabbing with dried blood. We have taken to our avian vet (C J Hall) who just advise us to keep him in the collar again to allow it to heal and gave us antibiotics and inflammatory.

I am very concerned as its a slow bleed that what heal. Every time he opens his wing the slightest it tears the wound open. Any advise would be much appreciated. Should I bandage the wing down to allow it to heal?

Thank you

I'm not a vet but the one thing that's wrong here is that collar. Your bird has an exterior problem. Antibiotics cant really help if there's no infection there.

One item you should get from a pharmacy is ALOE VERA GEL The gel should be put on the tear area heavily and allowed to linger. It's not toxic and will keep that area moist and pliable. The wing's stretching ability will improve. The scabbing area will lessen. This gel should be used often on that area. It relieves itch and periodic pain. The gel allows the bird to not pick at the scab. Think about a scab on yourself. It dries, gets itchy and the first thing you wanna do is scratch at it. You remove the scab and bare the area and bleeding starts all over again. You should use a heavy amount each time you use it. The scab eventually softens but the itch doesn't return. The ointment should be slightly rubbed in and left alone. Even after you think the area is now been healed, you should continue to use it to make sure.

The gel is called 100% Aloe Vera Gel. It's clear and people also use it for their skin. It costs about $6 a bottle. There's usually 8 oz in the bottle. Always have this ointment around the house. People also use this gel on wounds that a bird can get such as from being pecked at or bitten by other birds and also injuries that may occur. People use this ointment on birds that have over plucked certain areas on the body where wounds have developed. It's used for skin injuries that cause open sores.

I really don't agree with the collar and so far it's done nothing good for your bird. Your bird can lick the ointment and nothing will happen. There's no harm in trying this out.

In the past, I have taken in a few birds with a similar wound/problem. A temporary solution, (as long as the bird will tolerate it) is to take a new, unused white sock. Cut off the toe, and cut down the other end some. Pull it over the bird, wrapping him/her in a mummy-like cocoon, leaving enough room for the feet and head to not be impeded by the "sleeve". It will keep the wings from spreading. Many birds will fight this, as holding their wings down is very unnatural, and counters any flight response to danger/fear/etc. Use the Aloe with this. And, remember what you are taking away from the bird (flight), so it will need extra attention. Most birds will not allow this, but some do. It is also a "treatment" for pluckers. In that case, cut holes on the sides of the sock for their wings. As I've said, most don't go for this, but, some will allow it. It might be worth a try.

Of course, common sense would tell you to cut the sock and situate it to keep their vent clear to prevent soiling the sleeve.

Edited by BaileysPapa

Hi,

I dont like keeping him in a collar but I have to when he damages the area so badly that it bleeds. I used Aloe Vera in the past and will stay doing it again.

Is something like this ok? http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-aloe-vera-gel-60002672

All the gels I have seems to say 100% but have a few other ingredients.

Can I apply this even though it is constantly bleeding? How can I stop the bleed?

Thank you

Hi,

I dont like keeping him in a collar but I have to when he damages the area so badly that it bleeds. I used Aloe Vera in the past and will stay doing it again.

Is something like this ok? http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-aloe-vera-gel-60002672

All the gels I have seems to say 100% but have a few other ingredients.

Can I apply this even though it is constantly bleeding? How can I stop the bleed?

Thank you

This item isn't an extract from aloe. It's pure aloe with nothing else in it. You can get it at a pharmacy or have them order it for you. Some supermarkets with a drug department may also have it.

Yes, it can be put on bloody areas.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/DaveVP/DSCN0113-1.jpg

Aloe is a wonderful healing agent and is safe, if the bird keeps either picking at the wound or stretching that wing breaking the scab open then the sock restraint should prevent both . The Rescue remedy is another good tool that will assist the need to keep attention away from the wound. Definitely keep the bird occupied more to do and add some protein to the diet, cooked chicken, tuna, salmon or scrambled egg. Even chamomile tea in his water bowl may help calm the stress.