NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Harrison's Bird Bread

marions91

My vet recommended that I change Pia from a seed diet to Harrison's bird food.

She started Pia on bird bread to get her used to the taste. I followed the instructions on the bag

to a T, but after baking it, the texture was not like bread at all. It was all crumblie.

I don't know what went wrong...... Does anybody know if it's alright to add water to the mixture ?

My vet recommended that I change Pia from a seed diet to Harrison's bird food.

She started Pia on bird bread to get her used to the taste. I followed the instructions on the bag

to a T, but after baking it, the texture was not like bread at all. It was all crumblie.

I don't know what went wrong...... Does anybody know if it's alright to add water to the mixture ?

Don't have a bag in front of me but I've always added water as directed on the bag. If memory serves it was 1 cup of water and you would also sunshine factor or coconut oil as well.

My Grey used to tear it up but not so much anymore but my Caique LOVES it...

BTW, ALL vets will say "get them off the seeds asap" but if your smart with their diet and give an abundance of fruits and veggies as well as the bird bread etc I wouldn't sweat the guilt of feeding them seed to much. The bird bread has a ratio as well from Harrisons as to how much bread should be given in relation to your birds overall daily diet.

Good Luck.

Edited by tankaray

Just think of the Harrison's as the flour to make the bread. Grind it finely in a food processor and use it as the base. Then add whatever you'd like into that base. The sky is the limit. If it's crumbly, then add water until it holds together, or any other liquid for that matter. Be creative! I've used green naked juice blends as the liquid in lieu of the water.

I dump all kinds of things into my bread: unsweetened coconut flakes, almond meal, flax meal, red palm oil, chia seeds, hemp seeds, broccoli, sweet potato, carrots, bell peppers, banana, zucchini...whatever you'd like to disguise and get into your birdie's bellies.

• Haha 1