NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Sandpaper to rough up wood?

Hi everyone,

I got the birds a Manzanita tree stand that isn't sandblasted and have always read and was told to use sandpaper to "rough" up the branches a bit to make them less slippery. The problem is, sandpaper smoothes. I sandpapered side-to-side and back-and-forth to see if that would make the branch rougher but it doesn't. Input? Advice?

Edited to add: I suppose it is a tad bit rougher after being sanded than with the natural red bark on

Edited by Giannine

Hi everyone,

I got the birds a Manzanita tree stand that isn't sandblasted and have always read and was told to use sandpaper to "rough" up the branches a bit to make them less slippery. The problem is, sandpaper smoothes. I sandpapered side-to-side and back-and-forth to see if that would make the branch rougher but it doesn't. Input? Advice?

Edited to add: I suppose it is a tad bit rougher after being sanded than with the natural red bark on

A method I've told many people to do is to use either a hand saw or a dremel tool and make slight zig zag cuts all over each branch in no particular order. It'll give supreme grip for claws. It will imitate gripping like an outdoor branch.

Whoever made the tree did score some of the branches with some diagonal lines, though not enough. I don't have any useful tools to rough up the wood myself so I may try using a knife to add more. I've read (on here I think) how vet wrap can leave a sticky residue after time which I don't want. I have almost bought some several times but then held back

Whoever made the tree did score some of the branches with some diagonal lines, though not enough. I don't have any useful tools to rough up the wood myself so I may try using a knife to add more. I've read (on here I think) how vet wrap can leave a sticky residue after time which I don't want. I have almost bought some several times but then held back

I use vet wrap all the time. It will leave a sticky residue, but it comes off VERY easily if/when you are done with the vet wrap and just want to go bare bones again. Otherwise I just re-vet wrap over the sticky. All their footsies ever touch is the new vet wrap.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to necro the thread, and quite late for a useful reply, but i have found using a wire brush wheels in a drill works wonders for both cleaning branches and scuffing them up nicely so its not 'smooth'. Can get them cheap at Harbor Freight, or at places like home depot or lowes. And of course similar places in other countries. Works best if you can hold down the drill in some way, so both hands are free to move the branches around. I generally use them on any dowel rods i get as well, after shaping with a good knife to make them a more uneven surface.