NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bitter Sweet

Q9550

Hi Guys/Girls/Birds,

I just wanted to share my experience here on the forum.

Although its been a short while since i have joined i cant express how much i love this forum and how friendly and helpful everyone is. No matter the issue or problem there has always been numerous replies to my threads and all helpful information. This forum has made me grow more confident that i am doing a good job with nonsense and also keeps me going on even when there seems to be a set back with her. I have learnt so much from all you experienced guys and im positive its just the beginning.

There's just ONE problem with this forum:

I get so jealous seeing and reading about all you guys and your birds and the relationship that you guys have with your pets. I'm envious when looking at pictures of birds stepping up and getting head scratches etc

I really hope one day i would have the same relationship with nonsense as many of you guys do with your birds.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum and makes it a special place for those of us who struggle a bit.

Keep up the amazing work!!!

Kind Regards

I know exactly what you mean about being jealous of other people's relationships. As I've said in other threads, Dorian was extremely slow to progress in his new home with me. It was months before he took a step outside his cage and years before he stepped up for me and let me take him into other rooms. I'd come on here and see people kissing their fids, walking around the house with their fids on their shoulders etc . . . and it would be hard to go back to a birdy that would barely let me touch him. But here we are years in, and Dorian goes wherever I go in the house with me and lets me touch him, and gives me kisses when I ask for them. So let he and I be an example for you that even though some birds move more slowly than others you can get there with patience, love, and the education and support of the people on this forum.

It is clear how much you love Nonsense and wish to become friends. I am also a member of the "envy camp" when I see touching, playing and delightful interactions. It is even harder because long ago, in the beginning my first baby grey Juno came home. He was cooperative, playful and loving. The memory of him chortling in the morning as he clamored with pink flushed face to get to me as soon as I walked into the room still makes my heart sing. The wonder and awe I felt the first time he flew from his cage on his own to land on my shoulder while I prepared his breakfast will always lift my spirits. I only knew six weeks of joy with him before he showed signs of illness and took him to the vet three times as they assured me he had a little throat infection. It was more serious than that and within a week he passed away at the vet as they took him from my arms. From knowing the pure joy of his love, affection and trust to reaching a decision to take in a "bird with issues" has been a walk of faith. I have faith that deep inside my tattered, scared, distrustful first meeting with Miss Gilbert that she has the capacity to love and be love. It has been five years of the wonderful people on this forum offering encouragement and suggestions that our village is creating something new and wonderful in the heart of a little parrot who deserves to thrive. For now, the one thing you offer to Nonsense is unconditional love and a commitment to stick with her no matter what. I have had to work a whole lot harder to win over Miss Gilbert than what just came naturally to Juno. The hard work makes me appreciate the smallest hard won gesture on her part to come closer to me. Every good encounter opens the path to more good things. You will win over Nonsense with slow, steady progress. She may never show the kind of affection that was easy for Juno, but she will win your heart and soul with acceptance of each concession she makes toward you. This is the meaning of grey time. It will come.

I can't really say I normally get envious of anything except the baby experience. I didn't expect to be anything more to Phenix than his caretaker because multiple vets diagnosed him as "terminally insane". That was a long time ago now. I doubt that's even in the vocabulary any more.

But after that, every little bit of progress was a humongous bonus & I'm just very grateful. First for him, that he's made such a better place in the world. Then for me because I got such a gift. Yep, I'm a big, sappy Grey-o-holic & I admit it.

Edited by birdhouse

Im never going to give up on nonsense if all i will ever be to her is the cleaning guy thats fine in my books as long as she is happy and having fun and leading a much better life then previously. Thats always been my number one priority with her, im not gona lie and say i dont want that close relationship with her but as iv learnt from you guys here grey time = slow time. We take everyday as it comes and the smallest of improvements as like mountains moving for us. Like the other day when she was out her cage sitting on top i was walking by with some stuff in my hand and i accidentally dropped a light bulb box and it landed near her cage i went into the room and when i got back she was on the floor and the box was destroyed lol Now to you guys it might not be much but to us it was amazing to see her on the floor she has never been on the floor before that and even leaving her favorite treat (peanuts) on the floor she would not go down. I feel like she is trusting us more and more as the days go by but we still not at the level of trust yet. Hopefully one day i will be able to post a picture of nonsense perched on my hand exchanging birdy kisses lol

I want to echo what others have said. Our relationships with our greys is lifelong and ever changing. Grey time is nothing like dog or cat time. You will be amazed at the evolution of your relationship with Nonsense when you look back six months, a year or even five years from now. That is the awesome, yet also sometimes frustrating, part of sharing life with a grey.