NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New Cage

Q9550

I'll leave the whole roll of paper towels on a dowel in their cage occasionally. Lovely mess! But it's cheap & makes them happy. I also use the roll-off to clean up rather than waste it. btw, the industrial rolls last a wicked long time.

Hard to tell about the ladder from that angle. But inside the cage you might see if it works connecting side to side or top & side. Or zip tie it to a perch & linked to the bars somewhere. Zip tied between two perches? It looks like it might also work connected from the play top to the top of the cage...?

I think zip ties are great in cages. Very handy & sturdy but totally replaceable.

Very glad to hear about the grate. I've had 2 trash pickers get really sick. So, it's a thing w/me. IDK if you can get it stainless or aluminum for a reasonable cost. But then it would last "forever". Otherwise, no copper, brass or galvanized/zinc wire. Also needs to be painted w/a specifically bird-safe paint because normally, metal paint has lead & zinc & gives of VOCs sometimes for years.

Boy, after all this Nonsense is really going to be stylin' isn't she? ") She already looks pretty happy in the pics!

Edited by birdhouse

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. Still trying to source a few things. I can get the grate made up of S/S but its going to cost a lot more, so i'm going to save up for a bit and then get it done. Might be a stupid question but does the grate NEED to be painted if its S/S? The paint shops around here seem to be a bit clueless as to what "Bird Safe" paint means so i'm worried that one might say it is when it really isn't and then nonsense gets sick.

I wanted to put the ladder up on top as well so will give that a shot and see how she likes it.

@Greyness

Nonsense like to shred EVERYTHING. You must see her attack her foraging toys i make up for her, gone in a few seconds. Newspapers, toilet roll holders, those cup holders from McDonalds, boxes she goes crazy for them all. I will try to get a video but she is very camera shy.

@Timbersmom

Nonsense is strange because she doesn't like being on the highest perch she likes the middle one the best. She likes being on the floor when she is in destruction mode and i have never seen her on the highest perch as yet but she is making use of all her toys so i'm happy about that.

Have you guys seen how your greys sleep? I saw nonsense for the first time when she didn't want to get into her new cage and was perched on top of it. She turns her head around and places it on her back and pulls her wings closer to her face and then she falls asleep. Was quite fun seeing her do that.

This is exactly how she sleeps:

NotNonsense.jpg

(This is a pic from the interwebs)

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. Still trying to source a few things. I can get the grate made up of S/S but its going to cost a lot more, so i'm going to save up for a bit and then get it done. Might be a stupid question but does the grate NEED to be painted if its S/S? The paint shops around here seem to be a bit clueless as to what "Bird Safe" paint means so i'm worried that one might say it is when it really isn't and then nonsense gets sick.

The grate would stay bare metal if it was SS or aluminum.