NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bird-Elicious - Origins Wild Diet

Charlies Dad

Have you guys seen this food for African Greys? Does anyone have experience with it? It seems like a great mix for them as it replicated what they would eat in the wild. It even has clay and bee pollen in it which I like. Plus it has all kind of organic herbs and even sprouted sunflower seeds which has to be less fatty then unsprouted. I am interested in it because I am working on Charlies diet but wanted to get everyones take on it. Plus the Harrisons transition is not going so well. Here is some info from there website.

Capture.png

free image hosting

12344.png

capture

The African Grey's dietary requirements hinge on that of a true herbivore. Their original indigenous region provides them with an abundance of berries, fruit, tender leaves, grasses and herbs. However they have been witnessed consuming mollusks in the marshlands of their indigenous regions on occasion.

The African Grey spends much of its time in the mid-canopy of the Forest but engages in regular ground-foraging. It is not uncommon to see them foraging along muddy river banks. The bulk of nutrition is derived from the berries, fruit, tree leaves and volatile oils from the tender young bark of the trees they socialize in. They will also consume the seed they find in the berries as well as the larvae in the berries and the nuts they pick and eat from the trees they play and rest in.

The coriander seed, which is used as a spices is indigenous to their region. Also the Palm Fruit and the Coconut Palm grow in their indigenous regions. Almonds are also plentiful in their regions! They derive volatile oils from the spices and herbs that keep them healthy by detoxing their internal system and supplying many anti-oxidants, polyphenols and many other complex substances in the way of micro-nutrients. In addition, the Palm Fruit they chew on to derive the fatty acids, as well as the Coconut, provide healthy fat in which to supply high energy requirements and to keep their skin, feathers, beak and talons in perfect condition.

One of the most common seeds found in Central Africa that African Greys love is millet.* And an indigenous legume is cowpeas or otherwise known as black-eyed peas. Berries, fruit, the seed within those foods, nuts and tender young leaves/grasses/herbs and the larvae burrowed within those items are also the mainstays of the wild African Greys.

BirD-elicious!™ Origins Wild Diet!™ species-specific bird foods has taken all of this into consideration in the formulation of our African Grey-specific diet! We have formulated a diet with the needs and requirements of the magnificent and stately African Grey in mind!

Our BirD-elicious!™ Origins Wild Diet!™ species-specific bird foods are fully endorsed and used by Jeannie Thomason, Doctor of Veterinary Naturopthy. Dr. Thomason is the Co-Founder of American Council of Animal Naturopathy and the Co-Producer of Animal Talk Naturally radio show. She is also an adjunct professor at Kingdom College of Natural Health.

We use absolutely NO GMO, no corn, no wheat, no rice, no soy, no gluten, no cheap fillers, no dyes or food colorings, no artificial preservatives, no synthetic vitamins, all ingredients are wholesome and pure.† Our foods are not extruded or placed under high pressure using heat rendering the digestive enzymes inactive and eliminating or reducing the bio-availability or efficacy of vitamins; instead our foods are gently dehydrated leaving all natural digestive enzymes intact and alive and all naturally-occurring vitamins as close to their natural state as possible for a minimally processed food product. We use stainless steel equipment ensuring our foods are not in constant contact with metallic ferrous iron.

Our formulation has been revised to reflect our most current research surrounding and regarding "feather desroyers" and their extreme sensitivity to naturally occurring "salicylates". Unfortunately we have found this is due to the overwhelming amount of exotic birds having bad gut flora because of 1) being hand-fed and raised as babies; 2) being fed a highly processed diet lacking live and active digestive enzymes for much of their lives; 3) being treated with antibiotics destroying what good gut flora they may have had left. All of these combined destroyed their good gut flora creating an acidic environment for which bad gut flora to take over creating auto-immune problems leading to food sensitivities, yeast infections, fatty liver, and much, much more. For this reason we have decided to formulate all of our foods to address food sensitivies in all companion exotic birds.

And here are the ingredients list, which look rather appealing to me as a Parront...

As stated on our package label:

Ingredients: All ingredients are human grade (except where indicated by ***) produced in a sustainable manner without the use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides and other harsh chemicals. ( *Indicates a conventionally grown ingredient; **Indicates ingredient that is "Wild-grown, Wild-harvested/derived from the earth or "Wild-crafted; ***FDA does not recognize ingredient as "human-grade") +All powders are ensured to be free of any and all preservatives. For a list of our reliable suppliers go here: Suppliers.

Organic Mango, **Papaya, Organic Banana, *Lemons, Organic Alfalfa Powder, Organic Flax Seed, Organic Almonds, Organic Hemp Seed, ***Meal Worms, Organic Black-Eyed Peas, Organic Sunflower Seed (sprouted), Organic Flax Seed Oil (cold pressed), Organic Red Clover Seed, Organic Red Bell Pepper, Organic Palm Fruit Oil (unrefined, cold pressed), Organic Blueberries, Organic Noni Powder, Organic Cilantro, Organic Barley Grass Powder, Organic Green Rooibos Tea, Organic Hemp Seed Oil (cold pressed), Organic Moringa Leaf Powder, Organic Parsley, ***Wax Worms, Organic Wheatgrass Powder, **CA-Montmorillonite Clay, Organic Hibiscus Flowers, Organic Rosemary Powder, Organic Anise Pods, Organic Baobab Powder, **Brazilian Coral Calcium, Organic Cinnamon (Ceylon), Organic Eucalyptus Leaf, Organic Mangosteen Powder, **Bee Pollen, Organic Calendula Flowers, Organic Chamomile Flowers, Organic Chrysanthemum Flowers, **Green-Lipped Mussel Powder, Organic Oregano, Organic Red Clover Blossoms, Organic Schisandra Berry Powder, Organic Vanilla Bean, Organic Basil, Organic Coconut Oil (pure virgin, unrefined), Organic Brown Mustard Seed, Organic Cloves, Organic Coriander Seed, Organic Crimini Mushrooms (dried), Organic Ghee, Organic Ginger Powder, **Antarctic Krill Oil, **Lungwort Lichen, **Magnesium Oxide, Organic Rose Hip Powder, Organic Sage, Organic Thyme, Organic Turmeric, **Usnea Lichen, Organic Yellow Mustard Powder.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude protein (min.) 12.88%, crude fat (min.) 12.71%, crude fiber (max.) 7.7%, moisture (max.) 13.0%, NFE 49.65%

It is on backorder but I am willing to wait and give it a try if it is a good diet to try. What are your opinions??

Thanks for your time!

Edited by Charlies Dad

I'm kind of excited to check this out. If only the website would cooperate, dang it. I don't know if it's my antivirus settings or what. But I can't hardly go anywhere on that site. I'll have to check it out on something else.

I think Harrisons has too much peanuts & corn & just things I wouldn't want to feed daily. So we use TOP Organics Pellets. But , it would be nice to have another alternative to. Even though they're only a supplement w/the mash, TOPS recipe still always seemed a little boring. BirdD-elicious looks a more complex & maybe yummier. How did you find out about it?

Actually it's not seriously broken. If you click on your selection in the dropdown box, it opens your link at the bottom of the same open page rather than clicks you through to a different page.

I just ordered some Grey and Eclectus food to try out. Thanks for the info to this website!

So based on your comment - I disabled the blocking of popups and turned off adblocker and some other stuff. On FF, absolutely nothing happens when I click on the drop-down item. I'm too lazy to throw it in debug right now. My IE is wide open for ads, popups and malicious whatever as I don't use it except for dev work and all I get is a blank page. An HTML document is returned but not rendering.

^ What browser are you using?

edit - so a quick debug on FF indicates a javascript error 'unexpected value parsing ViewBox attr'. IE is a lot more forgiving for crappy coding and it still won't render on my version.

I normally wouldn't give a rip but I'm on orders to get the birdies some good food and have been given license to spend with wild abandon. This stuff seems worth a try, if I could order it.

Edited by SterlingSL

All I can tell you is that I didn't think anything happened when I clicked on the drop down menu. Lo and behold, I stayed on the same page and scrolled down a bit to find that the clicked on info was there.

I think I have IE11

click shop>bird-elicious and then scroll down.

Very weird site, but the stuff does magically appear.

Also tried it with google chrome and firefox, and the links also work.

Edited by Greytness

Hi,

Yeah the website is kinda funky...But I have no issues with Chrome.

I ordered some but they are on serious backorder...like 4-6 weeks or so from what I can remember...

They have an autoship option so you don't run out of food but waiting so long to get the first batch just so Charlie can try it is kind of a pain...

As per the ingredients, it seems like an excellent mix to try and honestly I am surprised other grey owners have not tried this. I was hoping for some opinons from previous users.

I guess I will have to wait a couple of months till I can try/review...

In the meantime, I guess I'll go pick up all the Harrison bits that Charlie like to play football with.

• 2 weeks later...