NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Relentless attempt to climb up my arms.

FrankP

Hello everyone! I have a CAG that's about 15 yrs old. He's a great bird that belongs to my sister but has bonded with me. I have recently been spending a lot of time holding him and keeping him out of his cage. He continues to make kissing sounds while regurgitating his food. while doing this he is trying to "step up" by reaching out with his foot. If I don't move him from one hand to the other he proceeds to climb up my arm towards my face. I feel he wants to be as close to my chest or face as possible. I'm afraid because he has broke the skin when he doesn't get his way and I'm not ready to have my face chomped on. Do I just need to trust him and see what he's trying to do or continue to to reinforce the standard behavior. I feel like the bird wants to snuggle and I'm just afraid. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated!! Thanks much and I'll try to post some videos of the original opera "Smokey" displays. He doesn't just mimic what he hears. He creates his own versions and songs that can go on for minutes at a time. Thanks again everyone!

There are some who advocate never letting a bird on your shoulder due to the hazard they pose with their built in can-opener. I however play in traffic racing and training on bicycles, ride a motorcycle daily and crawl onto the back of a 3/4 ton animal and expect it will do what I tell it without falter (wife's horse yes) yet I've been thrown more times than I want to count. A shoulder bird is the least of my concerns and I let them all sit on my shoulder. I've been nailed on the lip twice by my Jardines. Hurts but not enough to make me quit. That was when he was young though and we were both getting to know each other, his rules being laid out plain and clear.

I know once you've let them sit on your shoulder, it's going to be a long haul to tell them they can't anymore. And I can't wait for those Smokey opera videos!!!

Hi Frank. I'll start by quoting our own beloved Dave007 who says sticking you face next to a fid is like sticking your face next to a can opener. So, that's up to you. But if there's bloodshed, it's on you. In more ways than one. lol

If you're one of the saner types (I've heard there are some out there) then you can try to get him to learn to cuddle in the crook of your arm, against your body. But it's going to take some effort on your part. Greys are very stubborn. Also, birds pretty much always seek the highest available perch. And it sounds like this guy either likes you, or enjoys the heck out of tormenting you. So good luck w/that!! Look forward to hearing all about it & maybe some more good stuff. Welcome to GF.

Edited by birdhouse

Thanks! I've tried holding my hand higher then my arm but he just walks down it towards my face. I'm going to try and get him to snuggle up against my chest first. He is ridiculously smart and we catch him tormenting everything in the house and then laughing about it afterwards... Calling cats and dogs close to the cage so he can nip at them then laughing when they fall for it. Sometime I wonder am I training him or is he training me...

For sure it's the second one!! My fids all have had all the dogs trained in no time. They're called over & some how know to sit by the corner of the cage. Once they've settled, the fid rewards them w/a treat. It's very sweet actually.

And if you're going to try to get Smokey to learn not to be a shoulder bird, try holding him on your wrist, more down towards your waist. Don't let him past your elbow. Fair warning; you can do this like a million times in each session. Did I mention that Greys are very stubborn? lol You could also try putting him on your knee or on a stand near you.

Edited by birdhouse

Alfie is a definite no shoulder bird. I've tried it with him several times but after a while he just seeks out my ears to chew on (lucky for me I have thick hair so he normally gets removed before he finds them!). With this in mind, I'm VERY conscious that my eyes are not too far away- and I only have one good eye. (I can see out of the other one but its a lazy eye so it doesn't get much use and I struggle to focus with it).

Therefore, Alfie is allowed on my hand and on my forearm, but no higher than the elbow. If he starts making his way up there, I redirect him by putting my other arm in the way. Doesn't stop him from trying- but if he persists, then I move him to the back of my chair, my leg if I'm sitting down or his play stand. I continue to talk to him and interact with him so it's not interpreted as a punishment... and he always get a 'good boy' for moving to the new location.

If there is any doubt or any amount of fear about him being on your shoulder/close to your face- then it's not worth the risk. Redirect him to an alternate location or find something else more interesting (like a toy) to take his mind off it if you can.

Dorian was determined to get onto my shoulder when he first began to perch on my hand. It took redirecting him many many times, but now he's content on my wrist. He's too easily startled for me to trust him on my shoulder where I can't see him to read his body language.

A grey, always earns shoulder perch! Months and months of training. Always start on the wrist, shew them down. I cant tell you how many months of vacumning I did with Sophie on my wrist, how many times I was on the computer and shewed her down. How many bites I got...how many earring she stole from my ears!

After six months, she started biting the air, telling herself, " NO BITE!" I knew she finally understood and did a happy dance! ( kids thought I was crazy, but I knew this was a turning point, and I was right.) Sophie has NEVER bitten any of us again 15 years later.Patience, routine will pay off, Just be committed Nancy