NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Congo thinks I'm Superman ...

iWrite4u

... but not in a good way.

I have poor vision and wear contact lenses and glasses, but not at the same time.

When I wear contact lenses Congo is happy and playful and sits on the perch closest to me.

When I wear glasses he is moody, sits in the corner of his cage and panics when I come close.

Does he think I am two different people? Even in mid-play if I slip my specs on he will stop playing.

I wear throwaways and they cost 60p a day, so I can't wear them day in, day out.

Anyone else had this experience?

I have heard of some parrots who don't like it when their owners change their appearance. Sometimes it's colour based, sometimes its hairstyle based and sometimes its because they're wearing an accessory such as glasses or hats.

Do you wear contacts more often than your glasses? It may be that Congo is afraid of the change to glasses because he's not used to you wearing them?

I have heard of some parrots who don't like it when their owners change their appearance. Sometimes it's colour based, sometimes its hairstyle based and sometimes its because they're wearing an accessory such as glasses or hats.

Do you wear contacts more often than your glasses? It may be that Congo is afraid of the change to glasses because he's not used to you wearing them?

I've only actually recently started wearing contacts again on a regular basis - he's much more used to me wearing glasses. He used to become unexpectedly playful on Wednesday evenings. It took me two months to work out this was because I put contacts in on Wednesday evenings to go and play badminton!

If I'm remembering correctly Congo is a re-home. It may be that he's had a bad experience in his past with someone who wore glasses. Unfortunately the only way through this is a slow steady slog. You have to build a relationship with him in your glasses wearing persona lol. Maybe only feed him treats when you're wearing your glasses, sit by the cage and read children's books to him, let Congo start to have positive interactions while you're wearing them. My Dorian hated the husband of his previous owner so much she told me I may never be able to date someone with white hair lol. The member here who got braces eventually got their bird to accept them but it took a long time. One piece of advice I got in the early days with Dorian was to approach his cage as if he was already the bird I wanted him to be. They are so adept at reading our body language the way we approach them really does matter a lot. Good luck, and remember this is just part of his baggage. You can always come on here to vent.

• 3 weeks later...

My grey gets super skinny when I have a hat on and he wants nothing to do with me. I think he thinks I am someone else completely unless I say something to him. Then he calms down a notch but still has his guard up.

Maybe let him play with one of the disposable ones to let him know its ok to be on your face, he probably just thinks it is something attacking your face and is getting scared/nervous for your safety....those stupid glasses.

Edited by luvparrots
removed unnecessary name

HRH Inara is pretty intrepid. I change up my hair color (had light teal and lavender streaks in it last year, this year violet and silver). I think she just wonders how I get my "feathers" to change colors. :D At times, she will look at me with curiosity, for example when I have a towel on my head over wet hair, etc. but I just give her "my" whistle and she completely relaxes. Joe's whistle is "If I Only Had a Brain" and my whistle is "Over the Rainbow," and Inara's whistle is one that she made up. I think this really helps, as she sends out the specific whistles for me and/or Joe and she will respond with hers. Sort of like a roll call flock call.

All that being said -- we know how these feathered guys and gals can turn on a dime, so tomorrow she may decide my new fingernail polish has turned me into an alien.....

Sophie HATES change! My sister came to visit for five days and Sophie was encouraging her to leave for those five days! Bit her toe and laughed her butt off! ( barely drew blood, but she got a firm no and returned to her room.)

I recognize how someone whom is afraid gets a bite as opposed to someone who has never met Sophie but isn't afraid, she will step up immediately (at your own risk). Majority visitors don't get a bite, but many of my friends have birds. It seems like attitude makes all the difference Nancy