NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Indoor aviary colors

alex2014

Has anyone made and indoor aviary? I plan to moved my exercise equipment to the basement and make an indoor aviary. I was thinking about what color to paint the room and didn't know if greys have a preference. I know, might sound weird but there is a lot of information on the web about what colors attract outdoor birds but I have not found anything about aviary colors. I plan to hang perches and swings and lots of things for them to interact with. I can't wait to get started so they can have the freedom of a room instead of waiting for me to get home to let them out. I will move their cages into the room to give them a familiar place to sleep and eat.

And just a little more info. I plan to take up the carpet and put down a one piece linoleum, something easy to clean. Also i will add a wooden screen door and keep the existing door so i can close it at bedtime to give them some quiet and dark to sleep. I think i will put bars that i can swing open to open/close the windows on nice days and keep them from possibly tearing the window screens and escaping.

I'm ready for suggestions.

Edited by alex2014

How about a mural of sky, trees, jungle, etc? Or if you're not feeling that artistic, perhaps starting up towards the ceiling with some sky color and then blending it down into a blurred "horizon" of hills in earth tones? Or looking online for pre-done wall size murals, however, during out of cage time if someone decides to chew and/or peel then toxicity could be an issue not to mention the general destructo factor. Just some thoughts :)

I did read that the best paint to us is an eco-friendly "low voc " paint, which dry quickly and produce little to no smell at all. I'm not very artistic but might try the sky colors on the ceiling, great idea. I'm worried about them destroying murals and how safe they are. Might be time to find an artistic friend to paint the walls.

All great ideas, keep them coming.

I'll be sure to take some before and after pictures as this project gets started.

Oooh I'll watch this thread with interest! I'm thinking of doing similar if I end up living alone in the future (I currently have a housemate in the spare room). I was actually half planning this in my head the other day- what flooring to use (easy to clean, can be swept and scrubbed etc) and how to decorate the room (in terms of walls and toys). I was thinking of getting one of those parrot cargo nets and hanging that between a wall/ceiling, maybe having a large java tree in the middle- a playstand. I have a hanging basket wall mount in my living room at the moment which I hang an orbit toy from (Alfie loves swinging about on it) so I'd probably use some of those (and wrap the tops in vet wrap so they can double up as perches too). My poor housemate- I don't actually want to get rid of him as I like having him around... if he knew I was thinking about this he'd probably be most upset! haha!

What an awesome project! Yes please to lots of photos please!! :D

Do you follow Felix the Grey on Facebook? In the background of his pictures you can see her walls are painted with murals. Giant palm leaves and flowers, on a light green background. Maybe you could scroll through her pictures, or maybe she'd even send you pictures if you msg'd her and told her what you're trying to do.

Acappella, you are correct. The humans workout room is moving to the basement, lol

The aviary will be a 11 x 12 room on the first floor, 2 windows and plenty of sunshine.

do you have the facebook url? for felix the grey? having a hard time finding it on facebook

do you have the facebook url? for felix the grey? having a hard time finding it on facebook

If you just type in Felix in the search box then you should be able to scroll down your results until you find one that has an African Grey as its avatar. Also, I miss typed, it is just Felix, not Felix the Grey, so that should help.

https://www.facebook.com/FelixLaFollett/?ref=ts&fref=ts

I can get a video of GreycieMae's bird room which was converted from an office/bed room if you like. We removed all the furniture, ripped out the carpet, painted the floor with speckled garage floor paint, painted the walls in neutral color stripes. I mounted raw fir/pine boards on the roof to hang boings, ropes, perches, chains, swings from. I have an HD camera to spy on them. I also put fir boards along the entrance and closet doors trim as GreycieMae likes to do her own carpentry work occasionally.

I guess you could call her bird room and 'indoor aviary'.

I love your videos too Sterling. Your voices remind me a little of Dr. Doolittle meets Ernest P Whorl. Gracie Mae has the best daddy ever.

Alex, thank you for starting this thread. It's a great idea and gives us a fresh look at how we can make life more interesting for our companions.

Went to the paint store today and got some color charts, my artist will be coming over the week of the 9th to look over what i want to do and give me some ideas and what colors to buy. I have already decided to paint the ceiling a light blue and have her paint some clouds. I also picked out some one piece vinyl flooring to put down once i remove the carpet, i have hardwood floor under the carpet but think the one piece vinyl will be easier to clean and the new vinyl does not need to be glued so the hardwood will not be ruined.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I'll start to post pictures once the project gets started.