NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Poo stains on carpet

Angelwings

Ok so I'm not sure if this is the correct area for this to be in or not (moderators please feel free to move if it isn't :) ).

We live in private rented accomodation with a 6 month old grey. She comes out every day and she's out the majority of the time. Generally she is good with knowing that poos are only done in the cage or on the top of the cage where her play stand is (cage came with it) which she loves to be on. However there have been a few times where a few accidents have happened and there are stains on the carpet. We're due to move out into a bigger place in a few months and so I was wondering does anyone know how to get rid of them without using harsh chemicals? (Otherwise if the stains are left it could affect how much we get paid back from our deposit when leaving.) We have a carpet cleaner but am wary of using chemicals near her because we know that such things can be dangerous to her. If anyone knows of anything that could get rid of the stains that doesn't use harsh chemicals it would be great to hear from you. :)

Another thing-sometimes the place can smell (we do clean a lot too). When Babs is in her cage we keep the windows open. Obviously we know not to use candles, incense, essential oils etc. However just leaving the windows doesn't always work. Does anyone have any parrot safe alternatives to have a nice smelling home again?

Ok so I'm not sure if this is the correct area for this to be in or not (moderators please feel free to move if it isn't ).

We live in private rented accomodation with a 6 month old grey. She comes out every day and she's out the majority of the time. Generally she is good with knowing that poos are only done in the cage or on the top of the cage where her play stand is (cage came with it) which she loves to be on. However there have been a few times where a few accidents have happened and there are stains on the carpet. We're due to move out into a bigger place in a few months and so I was wondering does anyone know how to get rid of them without using harsh chemicals? (Otherwise if the stains are left it could affect how much we get paid back from our deposit when leaving.) We have a carpet cleaner but am wary of using chemicals near her because we know that such things can be dangerous to her. If anyone knows of anything that could get rid of the stains that doesn't use harsh chemicals it would be great to hear from you. :)

Another thing-sometimes the place can smell (we do clean a lot too). When Babs is in her cage we keep the windows open. Obviously we know not to use candles, incense, essential oils etc. However just leaving the windows doesn't always work. Does anyone have any parrot safe alternatives to have a nice smelling home again?

Not all *chemical products * are bad. In your case you should use FABRESE cleaner. It's a spot remover. The poo is allowed to dry and then picked up. Spray a little Fabrese on that spot, let it sit on the spot for about 5 min. and then use a paper towel and blot it up. Voila, the stain is gone. It doesn't change the color of the rug. People also use it when a dog or cat throws up. The Fabrese has a nice mild odor that disapeers within 3 min. It has no effect on the birds. Most of the time, it's better than using water because using water requires rubbing it in. When using Fabrese, a slight foam appears.

As far as your second part of your post, I have no idea what yor're referring to. Are the birds causing the odor? Is that area just naturally smelly? Sometimes constant cleaning especially with a vacuum can cause odors. That's why people are told to remove birds when a rug is getting steamed. It's only water but that process causes odor. Birds have to be kept away until the odor disapates.

Remember that Fabrese has a nice odor that goes away quickly. Hope this helps.

Thanks Dave007 for your informative reply. We do generally tend to avoid chemicals as a general rule of thumb as better to be safe than sorry!

The house can smell in general (we have a pet gerbil who sometimes can stink the place out) not from Babs-the place suffers from a lot of mould and damp and we figure that the smell is from that (it's one of the reasons why we're moving). We open windows as much as possible to try and get rid of it and have a dehumidifier to get rid of any condensation. I do find myself hoovering up as much as possible because she's throwing her food out onto the carpet and making a mess every time she's out (it's really too small in here to have the guards out around the cage to prevent this) and don't want the mess as with it being a very small place any mess can get overbearing very quickly. Anything that can get rid of the smell of damp would be good. Would reed diffusers/pot pourri be a safer alternative to air fresherners and candles?

Thanks Dave007 for your informative reply. We do generally tend to avoid chemicals as a general rule of thumb as better to be safe than sorry!

The house can smell in general (we have a pet gerbil who sometimes can stink the place out) not from Babs-the place suffers from a lot of mould and damp and we figure that the smell is from that (it's one of the reasons why we're moving). We open windows as much as possible to try and get rid of it and have a dehumidifier to get rid of any condensation. I do find myself hoovering up as much as possible because she's throwing her food out onto the carpet and making a mess every time she's out (it's really too small in here to have the guards out around the cage to prevent this) and don't want the mess as with it being a very small place any mess can get overbearing very quickly. Anything that can get rid of the smell of damp would be good. Would reed diffusers/pot pourri be a safer alternative to air fresherners and candles?

Yes, mice, gerbils, guinny pigs, hamsters can cause odor. You say that you're constantly vacuuming up seed and other foods that your bird throws out of the cage. Well, it might be worth your while to pick up one of those mini hand vacs. They're quick, strong, extremely light weight,pick up most of everything, has no odor. Almost all vacuum companies make their own version but usually most of them work the same way. As years have passed, they actually make them with a rechargeable battery pack just like other electric tools---drills, chain saws, garden trimmers etc. Usually, they're inexpensive. I have 2 of them. Both are very old models ( about 15 yrs old). One works and the other is now broken. Both were made by Hoover. My wife uses it in the bird room as well as a million other areas. Because of where I live, dust lingers around. They cost about $25 to $35 (American). Think about it. They're very popular and you'll find loads of areas where the item will help.

***Would reed diffusers/pot pourri ***

Sorry but I'm not familiar with those items. Maybe someone else can answer that.

Edited by Dave007

Birds may be messy, but they don't cause any smell. As Sophie has an occasional poop on rug, it is very easy to clean. Especially when dried.I also just hire a company to come in every three months to clean the rugs.I hire stanley carpet clean, they come often, and I don't worry about their fumes as I have done this for over a decade. Nancy

I would not use a diffuser but but you can steep either straight vinegar, lemons sliced into water or fresh mint crushed and added to water. Place any of these in a pot on the stove to simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes. Harmless odor but will freshen the house and the vinegar smell will dissipate leaving a clean scent if you choose that option, do keep you bird safe from the hot water either cover the pot with a screen or keep out of the kitchen.

Edited by Greywings

• 4 weeks later...

I have used a product called "Poop off" marketed specifically for bird droppings and it works great. Walmart carries a cleaning product called "Out" which works equally well and has a similar composition enzyme cleaner. "Out" originally had one formula for carpet/fabric/hard floors and have recently marketed separate formulas. The hard floor cleaner is not the one I would use because it now is just a surfactant and fragrance. The carpet cleaning formula has the formula that is familiar. I have seen it instantaneously dissolve green poo stains on white carpet. I use it for laundry stains as well. I use the more expensive "Poop Off" for stubborn stains on the bird cage or drop cloth where my parrots come into direct contact and it lasts what seems like forever. Then I use "Out" for bird and food stains on my clothes and everything else. It worked miracles recently concerning an un-neutered male cat's marking musk.

I got Poop Off spray & wipes w/one of Kura's used cages. I like it enough to buy a new bottle when that one ran out. So 2 bottles in like 6-7 years. I don't use it often. But it is handy sometimes & I like the smell.

I don't know if people actually realize that they can steam clean the carpet w/o any soap or chemicals. Steam is a disinfectant & the cleaner itself will suck out dirt & mold & other nasty stuff. The only reason for soap of any sort is to dislodge stubborn stains which can be done by pretreating like Dee said. I've used the Poop Off w/good effect. But I usually use OxiClean. Love that stuff. .

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Before I was using dawn dish soap with super hot water. But even then I would either need to sit around and wait for it to break the stain down or re-apply the spray. So I went and got me some poof-off after reading this thread and have to say I am quite pleased with the results. It smells good and breaks down hard stains fairly quickly. I would say the only downside is the price. I paid $29.99 plus tax at my local Petco for a 32 oz. bottle.

Maybe you could get a refund or price match. The Petco's around here know they can be pathetic & overpriced compared to the online competition. Most of them are very accommodating because they really want to keep what they can of their customer base. Unfortunately, their bird dept has gotten pretty sad in the past couple of years. You might want to check out the first two sites for more than just Poop Off.

http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/search.cgi?keywords=+POOP-OFF

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5939

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=%20POOP-OFF&index=blended&link_code=qs&sourceid=Mozilla-search&tag=mozilla-20

Edited by birdhouse

Maybe you could get a refund or price match. The Petco's around here know they can be pathetic & overpriced compared to the online competition. Most of them are very accommodating because they really want to keep what they can of their customer base. Unfortunately, their bird dept has gotten pretty sad in the past couple of years. You might want to check out the first two sites for more than just Poop Off.

http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/search.cgi?keywords=+POOP-OFF

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5939

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=%20POOP-OFF&index=blended&link_code=qs&sourceid=Mozilla-search&tag=mozilla-20

Thank you birdhouse!

Now I have another way to diminish Charlies...errr...my bank account!!

Edit: And I second the sad bird aisle at Petco...I have a Petsmart down the street from my house and that place is a joke when it comes to bird care...Petco was a 5 mile drive (not bad) but still not very impressed...they do have a better food and toy selection than Petsmarts though.

I am trying to get Charlie on Harrisons but the closest place that carries it is a vet office about 20 minutes away...I love all animals but i get a little annoyed when I see so much food/supplies/services available for dogs and cats and almost nothing is readily available for birds.

I usually look for good deals on ebay for bird stuff...but those sites you gave will come in handy for sure. Thanks again.

Edited by Charlies Dad

There was a bird fair up in Conroe, Texas last month, which is about 1 or so hours north of Houston...I couldn't make it because I had to go to an oil/gas expo for work. But a buddy of mine went there and told me he got a 5 foot java tree for $150. They had cockatiels for sale for $20 bucks a pop. Budgies for $5 a pop....He said a macaw cages were going for about $350ish....

So maybe I should go to next one...all I really want to do is stock up on some toys...Charlie is finally starting to play with some of his toys and want to get him some more variety. I wanted to find some foraging toys we can work on together...but they have to be durable...there is nothing like buying a toy for $30 and having it destroyed within 24 hours.

I was looking at Dr. Fosters & Smith website and I can already tell this is a dangerous website for me...I want everything they have!!!

^^^ Did you notice the activity books I posted on Charlie's thread? If you read them, they can save you a boat load of money. Making toys is also fun especially if you let Charlie help. That way, you also get to see what things he likes best.

I paid $12'ish & that's my review. I never run out of new ideas & Phenix never gets tired of it. The only thing I have ever been able to say that about & I think we've had it 2-3 yrs now.

http://www.amazon.com/Caitec-Foraging-Ball-Chain-Bell/dp/B00EOOQCH8/187-5246596-4833354?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01

These (& straws) are just the bomb & go nicely in that ball. I've paid $7'ish a gross

http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Finger-package-Assorted-Colors/dp/B005S4D0HI?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

STRAWS!! Dirt cheap & the possibilities are endless!!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=26618&stc=1

kuraStrawburst.jpg

Edited by birdhouse

Hi Birdhouse,

Yeah I saw it, but quite honestly (and embarrassingly) I don't think I'll have time or patience to make my own toys with work demands. I wanted to try to make some straw toys with some bells and other trinkets but I need to go to Hobby Lobby for that and that will need to wait for the weekend. I did see and read through the link you along with the other nice people here have given me...just need to study them a bit more.

Making toys is also fun especially if you let Charlie help. That way, you also get to see what things he likes best.

I've tried this method. It usually turns into "GreycieMae....give me that back *bleepty-bleep*...Greycie STOP...Greycie let go of the damn scissors...stop throwing on the floor...who's idea was this..."

Hi Birdhouse,

I wanted to try to make some straw toys with some bells and other trinkets but I need to go to Hobby Lobby for that and that will need to wait for the weekend.

Don't use bells that you can get at Hobby Lobby. I'm not in the States so I've never been in one, but I've been in plenty of craft stores and the types of bells sold there are dangerous to birds. Birds, being the little engineers they are, can be quite single minded about trying to get the clapper out of the bell, or they can get the whole bell stuck on their beak. You need to use bells only that are designed for greys and other big birds, otherwise it can end in a vet visit.

Sterling, ROTFLMAO!

I've tried this method. It usually turns into "GreycieMae....give me that back *bleepty-bleep*...Greycie STOP...Greycie let go of the damn scissors...stop throwing on the floor...who's idea was this..."

Just like I said, good times, right? :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Finally bought some Poop off from Amazon since i was already ordering some other stuff. I have tried a lot of other cleaners on my hardwood floors and must say this is the easiest and best product I have ever used on removing the poop on the floors.