NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Transporting Greys?

Angelwings

At Christmas we are going away for two weeks to visit my parents who are out of town. Naturally we don't want to leave our girl behind so she'll be coming with us. We've looked into travelling on trains and they do allow birds to travel on long haul journeys. I'm guessing that it would be wise to cover her so she doesn't become too nervous? Also to anyone who has travelled with Greys before do you have any advice?

Do you know what they're like with noise level because this is one of the criteria National Rail has for allowing animals on the train. Is there aything I can do that will dissued her from making a noise (such as the cover idea or putting toys in the cage etc)?

W/a little forethought & planning this should be relatively easy, once your fid is comfortable in a carrier. As always it just depends on the players. But if your bird is relatively easy going, if you're relatively intuitive & don't push too hard too fast, it should work out fine.

One thing I would advise very strongly is that you never let strangers w/in arm's reach of the carrier under any circumstances. People can do surprisingly stupid things sometimes. If & only if they appear to be the right sort, they might however be allowed to worship from afar as long as your fid approves. This will help feed that insatiable ego & also help w/socialization.

I don't trust collapsible travel cages for "tough" duty. I've had issues w/them maintaining their integrity & my grey in particular picks them apart. Very bad! But especially when we're out in the wide world.

I have awesome King's cages, but because (for me anyway) they're awkward & a bit heavy I'd use my cat carriers for this type of trip & set the other carriers up when I got where I was going.

Since birds are insecure flat footed, I put cross rope perches in their the travel cages. After some experimenting I've settled for the type that use wingnuts & washers because they work awesome in both the wire & plastic carriers. I eventually put 4 small holes in the sides of the plastic carriers which makes it super easy to switch between any of the cages now. They give the fids lots of very secure perching w/o dictating which direction they must face for the entire trip as that can also become an issue.

Having water available at all times is very important especially because they're apt to be at least a little over stimulated under the circumstances. I've had good luck w/the hamster type water bottles. The fids do need to be taught to drink from one in advance though.

In fact, better to do everything in an incremental build up beforehand. The more practice going just outside, then maybe to the park for a bit, etc, the better. If you can get a short train trip or two in, even better still.

Greys aren't usually good about new anything let alone situations w/sensory overload. And you do **not** want a meltdown here, at all. The relatively easy solution is to limit your fid's field of vision by covering the carrier. A heavy cover is also some protection from cooler temps &/or drafts. Light covers can help protect from sun & overheating. And a couple of bungee cords would be useful to help secure your quilt/towel/sheet while you're on the move btw.

As to the noise question; I would be more concerned that the environment be too noisy for your Grey. Not so much that your Grey would be too noisy for the environment.

Unlike some other parrot breeds, Greys aren't often known to put on a show for strangers. Any scared or even uncomfortable Grey will usually do everything possible to be still & silent enough to become invisible to possible predators in whatever they see as hostile situations. There's always the exception to the rule, but it would be a rare grey indeed who would go out of their way to call attention to themselves under those circumstances.

Great job Val (Birdhouse), we are on yet another 1,000 mile jaunt with two parrots and you have more ideas than I can come up with while even in the middle of my month long journey. The suggestion of the perch that crosses is priceless. Moving vehicles and the direction the carrier fits in the seat is different for every vehicle and every parrot. My thoughts are to the accommodations at your parents. When we visit my sister she is very much a collaborator. We will have six dogs in the house, so the parrots need to be protected with dog gates to keep a degree of separation while still being in the same area to view family members and be a part of the celebrations. Luckily she has space for me to leave two large cages and then travel in small ones. My daughters have cats. They are each in their new homes and this is our first visit. The parrots are managing in small cages and even prefer them, but being secluded, behind closed doors and a close call with a cat that hid behind a dresser in my room on the first night has been harrowing. For you, this is a first visit where you will be on commercial transport so having a high table to place a smaller travel cage upon or to prearrange shipping for a larger cage depends on how often you will be returning. Our parrots are great travelers, Miss Gilbert has logged about 20,000 miles in the 4 1/2 years with us. Good luck and safe travels, its worth it.

birdhouse: Thank you so much for your informative reply. I've saved this reply into a word document so we can go over it when the time comes.

The water advice is great advice and as to food what should we do in regards to food? Just treats or proper food? As we'll be travelling for 4 hrs-which is a long time!

Is it worthwhile to put her in the carry case over night a few times after she's had a week or to to settle in (with the perch in there so she can sleep on it) so she gets used to it before the journey and won't make too much of a fuss on the day?

When my guys are out on shorter trips, they tend not to eat much. But I'd certainly have munchies for a 4 hr train ride. You wouldn't want to be empty handed if something unforeseen happened & it took who knew how long, either.

I would bring nuts & raisins for my guys. They especially love nuts w/no shells. They transport real easily, they're easily fed & are high energy food.

If you find a little something you can attach to the side of the carrier go for it. Just make sure it wont be swinging & smacking the fid around while you're in motion. But if not, I think watching the world go by & interacting w/you thru the bars will be mixed w/napping & that will be just find too.

I didn't realize the back story whenever I answered you originally. Now that I've read all your posts, uhhmm...

As written, think you're getting a baby end of Nov, beginning of Dec. Is that right? That would mean you don't really have m/t a couple of weeks for everything from settling the fid in to getting them ready to travel. And that's assuming (s)he's ready on time, which doesn't always happen. That's a kind of big ask. Members have tried adopting during the holidays & incorporating baby into their travel plans. Depending on the fid's basic personality it can be too much.

Prop A - (if the breeder's willing) wait to bring your fid home until after the holidays. From what I've read, the longer a baby is w/it's original flock, the more grounded & secure they often tend to be. Starting life in the fast lane just may not be in your Grey's wheelhouse. And they wouldn't certainly be in the minority. I don't know the real numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was even 50% might have some real problems.

Prop B - from the first, baby spends nights in a sleep cage, ie the travel carrier. Many fids have sleep cages because it's just better in their particular circumstances for various reasons. Once the dust settles, you can decide whether to make that permanent. Meanwhile, baby has a little hidey-hole to call their very own & it may actually be a good, mentally stabilizing kind of arrangement.

In a perfect world, baby gets breakfast in bed on the day. No rushing & fussing to get them up & stuffed into their box & it's one less hurdle getting out the door.

**Or** your fid loathes absolutely everything about this plan pretty much from the get go. In which case you'd need to respect their feelings & change tactics immediately. It could also backfire horribly when the consequence is that your baby wants absolutely no part of their intended travel cage.

Prop C - you either find a sitter or find a boarder who you will trust w/your new baby's life. Hopefully your fid will be safe & happy at home even though you're a nervous wreck the whole time at your parents'. You of course don't get to show the new fid off, either & that's gonna sting. But, really, that's not even a warm up. Wait til you see how much torture you're in for in the coming decades ***and*** you're still going to love that little pile of grey feathers beyond belief.

Prop D - Call Mom & Dad to wish them a "Very Merry", no - wait you'd say "Happy..." then sit around stringing popcorn & cranberries & tearing paper lace snowflakes. Whatever else, there is no question that roughly 98% of all fids would adapt pretty easily to this one.

;)"Welcome to parronthood!"

When my guys are out on shorter trips, they tend not to eat much. But I'd certainly have munchies for a 4 hr train ride. You wouldn't want to be empty handed if something unforeseen happened & it took who knew how long, either.

I would bring nuts & raisins for my guys. They especially love nuts w/no shells. They transport real easily, they're easily fed & are high energy food.

If you find a little something you can attach to the side of the carrier go for it. Just make sure it wont be swinging & smacking the fid around while you're in motion. But if not, I think watching the world go by & interacting w/you thru the bars will be mixed w/napping & that will be just find too.

I didn't realize the back story whenever I answered you originally. Now that I've read all your posts, uhhmm...

As written, think you're getting a baby end of Nov, beginning of Dec. Is that right? That would mean you don't really have m/t a couple of weeks for everything from settling the fid in to getting them ready to travel. And that's assuming (s)he's ready on time, which doesn't always happen. That's a kind of big ask. Members have tried adopting during the holidays & incorporating baby into their travel plans. Depending on the fid's basic personality it can be too much.

Prop A - (if the breeder's willing) wait to bring your fid home until after the holidays. From what I've read, the longer a baby is w/it's original flock, the more grounded & secure they often tend to be. Starting life in the fast lane just may not be in your Grey's wheelhouse. And they wouldn't certainly be in the minority. I don't know the real numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was even 50% might have some real problems.

Prop B - from the first, baby spends nights in a sleep cage, ie the travel carrier. Many fids have sleep cages because it's just better in their particular circumstances for various reasons. Once the dust settles, you can decide whether to make that permanent. Meanwhile, baby has a little hidey-hole to call their very own & it may actually be a good, mentally stabilizing kind of arrangement.

In a perfect world, baby gets breakfast in bed on the day. No rushing & fussing to get them up & stuffed into their box & it's one less hurdle getting out the door.

**Or** your fid loathes absolutely everything about this plan pretty much from the get go. In which case you'd need to respect their feelings & change tactics immediately. It could also backfire horribly when the consequence is that your baby wants absolutely no part of their intended travel cage.

Prop C - you either find a sitter or find a boarder who you will trust w/your new baby's life. Hopefully your fid will be safe & happy at home even though you're a nervous wreck the whole time at your parents'. You of course don't get to show the new fid off, either & that's gonna sting. But, really, that's not even a warm up. Wait til you see how much torture you're in for in the coming decades ***and*** you're still going to love that little pile of grey feathers beyond belief.

Prop D - Call Mom & Dad to wish them a "Very Merry", no - wait you'd say "Happy..." then sit around stringing popcorn & cranberries & tearing paper lace snowflakes. Whatever else, there is no question that roughly 98% of all fids would adapt pretty easily to this one.

;)"Welcome to parronthood!"

Thank you for your advice!

To clarrify things: I'll probably be getting her within the next 1 - 2 weeks. Which would mean I have around 6 weeks before the train trip.

Thus far I'm inclined towards Prop B, or a modified version thereof. What if I let her settle into her cage for a week or so and then start introducing her to the carrier over time? Seeing if she'll walk in of her own accord when she's on the living room floor? Perhaps, after she's become aquianted with it, trying to carry her about in it for a while? Then maybe building up to an all-nighter?

I thought it was more likely to be at the end of November before we got her but it seems that it will be sooner than anticipated so more time to prepare.

Prob B it is! Get your baby home. Let baby settle and just get acquainted with cage, food and you! Thats all you can ask for! DON"T stress about the travel plan... baby will pickup on your stress level! Enjoy your baby.Don't work on travel cage. Your baby will have no clue what you are asking. They are like newborns and just work off of trusting you. See how your baby progresses. Nancy

No, I don't think so. Nothing is going to be familiar to the infant who's just had it's parental safety net & everything it's ever known stripped away. On Day 1 that travel cage is a natural safe haven in a big, scary new world. On any other day afterwards, it's another change & a new reason to be insecure at a time when it's so vital to establish familiarity, routine, security & trust in the new flock & environment.

By incorporating that cage into the daily (nightly) routine, it establishes a roost which is a vital component in any bird's well being. Since this particular roost is portable, that sense of security should in theory be able to travel, giving it a heck of an advantage under the circumstances.

Introducing the travel cage later also gives the fid a chance to reject it. What happens if you don't have the Grey Time to coax her around given your accelerated time table?

But rather than write another novella, I have come up w/Prop E. Suggest maybe you could PM JeffNOK. I think he & Gracie's experiences might have had some similarities & he might have some helpful & more specific insights.

I started transporting Gracie my CAG very early. I got her a week before Christmas 2011, and we did our first bit of travel Christmas Eve to my parents house. Now, my parents only live about 12 miles away, and I drove her there and back in my car. I had purchased a Pak-O-Bird (Backpack/carrier for parrots). Many people swear by them and find them ideal for transporting birds. Gracie wasn't fond of it. It is mostly enclosed in canvas and has a steel mesh "window" at the front where the bird can see out. Gracie did not like being placed inside the dark enclosure, and although we got to my parents house without too much trouble, she did NOT want to step up and go back in that carrier. I spent a frustrating hour trying to get her back in the Pak-O-Bird. Then I decided to transport her in a larger collapsible cage that I had originally purchased as a sleep cage when traveling. She did much better in it because it was more open and she could see what was going on as she entered and exited. I have used that ever since, and it has held up very very well in the four subsequent years. We go to my school, the vet's office, my parents' house, and the park quite frequently. It is fairly large-maybe 18 inches by 22 inches. We travel somewhere together at least once a week, and she has no problems. I definitely think introducing the travel cage right away was key to her being comfortable with it. Now, I have never taken Gracie on any form of public transport like a train. She has only ever traveled in my car. If you do travel by train, I agree that a nice heavy cover is a good idea. She will hear your voice and know you are near, but won't have sensory overload. Also, she will likely be quiet as a mouse. When I take Gracie to school or the park, or when she is around strangers, she utters not a peep. She is also instinctively quiet when her cage is covered. I am in Oklahoma USA, but I have traveled in the UK by train. As I recall, the space is somewhat limited, so you will have to keep that in mind as you decide on a carrier. I remember that some areas on the train had large tables between rows on which you might be able to place the carrier. How far will you be traveling? Is car hire an option? A private car would probably be less stressful. As suggested, if you are going by train, a few short practice trips would be helpful.

Edited by JeffNOK

Well, you all have been doing it wrong. I stuff GreycieMae into a canvas backpack with no windows or nothing. So the Pak-o-bird will be a vast improvement over that. I actually only do that for the short back-n-forth 15foot trip to the aviary. However, she's going to start going with me to Lowes/walmart/ and to other joints in her Pak-o-bird. I've found, if she doesn't like something, I'll do it even more until she doesn't care. Poor GreycieMae has a stubborn daddy.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the replies everyone!

I started transporting Gracie my CAG very early. I got her a week before Christmas 2011, and we did our first bit of travel Christmas Eve to my parents house. Now, my parents only live about 12 miles away, and I drove her there and back in my car. I had purchased a Pak-O-Bird (Backpack/carrier for parrots). Many people swear by them and find them ideal for transporting birds. Gracie wasn't fond of it. It is mostly enclosed in canvas and has a steel mesh "window" at the front where the bird can see out. Gracie did not like being placed inside the dark enclosure, and although we got to my parents house without too much trouble, she did NOT want to step up and go back in that carrier. I spent a frustrating hour trying to get her back in the Pak-O-Bird. Then I decided to transport her in a larger collapsible cage that I had originally purchased as a sleep cage when traveling. She did much better in it because it was more open and she could see what was going on as she entered and exited. I have used that ever since, and it has held up very very well in the four subsequent years. We go to my school, the vet's office, my parents' house, and the park quite frequently. It is fairly large-maybe 18 inches by 22 inches. We travel somewhere together at least once a week, and she has no problems. I definitely think introducing the travel cage right away was key to her being comfortable with it. Now, I have never taken Gracie on any form of public transport like a train. She has only ever traveled in my car. If you do travel by train, I agree that a nice heavy cover is a good idea. She will hear your voice and know you are near, but won't have sensory overload. Also, she will likely be quiet as a mouse. When I take Gracie to school or the park, or when she is around strangers, she utters not a peep. She is also instinctively quiet when her cage is covered. I am in Oklahoma USA, but I have traveled in the UK by train. As I recall, the space is somewhat limited, so you will have to keep that in mind as you decide on a carrier. I remember that some areas on the train had large tables between rows on which you might be able to place the carrier. How far will you be traveling? Is car hire an option? A private car would probably be less stressful. As suggested, if you are going by train, a few short practice trips would be helpful.

Well the trains are very cramped here. However, there are luggage racks outside of the seating area which don't usually get crammed (the one's inside the seating area are often packed). I managed to phone the train company to change my reserve seats so that they are near the exit of the train, only a few feet away from the external luggage racks (so I can see that no one decides to steal her or anything, though that's unlikely anyway). The travel cage won't fit either on our laps nor on the overhead shelf so I bought a big hold-all in which I was going to put her travel cage to keep her covered. I'll also be able to check on her regularly. The travel cage will have a perch, food bowl (attached so it doesn't fall) and I'll try and get her to know how to drink out of the hamster-style water bottles by then.

Plus, being outside of the seating area she shouldn't have to deal with any noises from passengers, except when people get on and off every 20-30 minutes.

I'll be getting her probably this weekened coming, next weekend at the latest. So I'll have 5-6 weeks to prepare her.

I'm thinking of leaving her travel cage inside her nomal cage on the floor from day one so that she'll be used to it. I'll try and coax her into it at night to sleep.

Does this plan seem ok?

Just bear in mind if you leave the travel cage in her cage you'll need to clean it often. Also, at least to begin with, you'll probably want to line the bottom of her cage with towels whilst she finds her feet around her new cage. Sometimes they can be a bit clumsy and fall. You'll probably want to keep the perches lower to begin with too- so I'm not sure how well the travel cage will fit in with that.

you could leave it outside her main cage- maybe next to it. Let her sit on it/in it when she's out of the main cage so she gets used to it that way.

Using it as a sleep cage might not be a bad idea either.