NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pumpkin Eating Contest!

birdhouse

:cool:ctober - time to let the fids enjoy a pumpkin or two. For any of the newbies who don't know, letting your new fid loose on a pumpkin is just so much fun that you won't even mind cleaning up the mess ...honest! You can make it a strictly fun thing. Or you can let them dive into the pile of pumpkin guts & pieces if you carve jack-o-lanterns. Or, you can gut the pumpkin, clean & bake or freeze the seeds & let them have at the rest. And/or you can wash & put up some pumpkin fruit (meat?) before, during or after. However you slice it, pumpkins are cool!!!

Anybody think maybe we should try to encourage the moderators to have a pumpkin eating photo contest...????

[[10-11-201]]

BIRDHOUSE: YES! Let's have a pumpkin contest! Please post photos under this thread which I am going to rename. I don't want to start a new thread as you guys have some great ideas for us newbies when it comes to pumpkins.

RULES: there are none, post away but please get your photos up before Thanksgiving:confused: here in the U.S. No limit to the number you can enter, but they must have a bird and pumpkin in the picture. We will (be) able (to) vote once all the pics are up!

The WINNER: will receive a higher rep power. And the title of Pumpkin Contest Winner 2015 under their name on all posts!

[[ :) Thursday, November 26, 2015 ]]

Edited by birdhouse
  • Haha 1

I'm afraid there's no interest here, and not for lack of trying. I bought one of those small baking pumpkins and drilled a hole in the stem and hung it in the aviary. Couldn't wait to see the destruction. Came home - nothing. Drilled a few pilot holes. Came home again - couple of nibbles. It finally started to turn bad and I had to toss it to the chickens. I bet if I hung a framed Mona Lisa in there they'd destroy that. Idiots...

^^^ Maybe they were just confused. Isn't everything supposed to be bigger in Texas? That is what the brochures say. :P

Some little orange ball in the middle of that awesome big ol' fantasy land they call their aviary probably didn't stand a chance. Next time(?) go big or maybe I guess you could actually go to pieces, too. But your fids live large! Which is why I'm kind of surprised you didn't have more fun w/this.

So what if they got a big & beauty rubbed w/RPO? And it visually stood out a little? Like if it was stuck w/straws & finger traps or something they already know is fun. Or if the holes were full of peanut butter & seeds &/or had bamboo skewers w/grapes or celery stalks w/leaves. Something visually yummy.

Maybe they really have got better things to do. Like I said before; they do live large. But it still might be worth another try.

SullysMom, the first time I always let the fid "help" me w/a jack-o-lantern. they mostly get all the seeds they can eat & free reign of the guts & pieces. Basically that plays into their natural curiosity & avoids TheNewThing meltdown. From then on, it's pretty much all good whatever way you want to present it.

BIRDHOUSE:

YES! Let's have a pumpkin contest! Please post photos under this thread which I am going to rename. I don't want to start a new thread as you guys have some great ideas for us newbies when it comes to pumpkins.

RULES: there are none, post away but please get your photos up before Thanksgiving here in the U.S. No limit to the number you can enter, but they must have a bird and pumpkin in the picture. We will ve able vote once all the pics are up!

The WINNER: will receive a higher rep power. And the title of Pumpkin Contest Winner 2015 under their name on all posts!

LOL Whoa now! Easy there big fella! It's okay! Those links can't hurt you. *They're* *not* *eligible*.

They're not mine. I only cut & pasted them off the web. The first one was just to get the party started. The second one is a blog post w/some potentially helpful ideas. Also, some nice pictures. I could not resist that pic w/the fid diving in all the way up to the tail hehe And those Camelot macaws ~love!

Truth be told, I'll be lucky to even get a horse in this race. For many, many years I used a grey owl as my avatar because my guys are all convinced that cameras are pure evil. Not going to stop me from trying, though. I still think this contest will be fun w/w/o my flock o paranoid problem children. :P

Edited by birdhouse

Well, we'll try again. I know one thing: if I take the pumpkin in their aviary and try to carve it myself and demand them to stay out of it, they'll be all over it like flies on you know what.

This is so true. If I buy it for him, doesn't want it. As soon as he can't have it, it's destroyed haha.

Edited by VFR_Mayday

• 5 weeks later...

thanksgiving2013-pumpkin1.jpg

Well, I missed the contest but here are some pumpkin pictures. These were taken in 2013, the last Thanksgiving I would share with my boy, Marden. He and Megan got a whole pumpkin on a large plate, in the playroom.

thanksgiving2013-pumpkin2.jpg

thanksgiving2013-pumpkin3.jpg

Here are some from last year (Thanksgiving 2014) of Rasa and Megan enjoying some pumpkin together.

IMG_20141115_154329.jpg

Rasa's just not sure about this.

IMG_20141115_154431.jpg

Megan is eager to show him how it's done.

Those are excellent pictures, Dee. Even a bit of nostalgia.

Thank you Penny & Dee! At least your guys looked like they enjoyed themselves.

Sorry & thanks to the rest of you who didn't get to have as much fun. This was apparently not one of my better ideas. :o But hey, I tried!

Those are excellent pictures, Dee. Even a bit of nostalgia.

Thank you Penny & Dee! At least your guys looked like they enjoyed themselves.

Sorry & thanks to the rest of you who didn't get to have as much fun. This was apparently not one of my better ideas. :o But hey, I tried!

I think this was an excellent idea. When introducing a Grey to a new food, if at first you don't succeed.... well, there's always next year!

True. But it does take the fun out of it sometimes, doesn't it?

Meanwhile, I thought I should pass these along. Maybe put some of the fun back & just to make sure everyone has something (else) to do w/any excess pumpkin they might have hanging around.

Microwave Chocolate Pumpkin Fudge. Yes, It Turns Out You Need This!

Tess Panzer

November 17, 2015

The holidays are all about sweet indulgences, and one of our favorites is fudge. We love, love, love a good, creamy, toothsome piece of fudge, and we’ve found a way to make it perfect for the holiday season — pumpkin!

Making fudge may seem a bit intimidating, but we assure you it’s really very simple. With no more than five ingredients and a microwave, you’ll be rollin’ in the sweet stuff in no time. Hurray!

Materials:

4 cups White Chocolate Chips

1/3 cup Creamy Peanut Butter

2/3 cup Pumpkin Purée, at room temperature

2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice

2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract

Tools:

9 x 9 in. Baking Dish

Aluminum Foil

Nonstick Cooking Spray

Related on Yahoo Makers: Pumpkin Cheesecake — No Baking Required

Instructions:

1. Line a 9 x 9 in. baking tin with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.

2. Combine white chocolate chips and peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at 50 percent power for 1 minute, then stir.

3. Continue to microwave in 30-second increments at 50 percent power until chocolate is completely melted and the peanut butter is completely incorporated.

4. Add the pumpkin, spice, and vanilla, and stir to completely combine.

5. Quickly pour the mixture into the lined baking dish and refrigerate overnight.

6. Slice the fudge with a sharp knife and enjoy.

https://www.yahoo.com/makers/microwave-chocolate-pumpkin-fudge-yes-it-turns-232228409.html?nf=1

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Pumpkin Cheesecake — No Baking Required!

Pop Sugar

November 2, 2015

It’s a little tricky to not get burnt out on all the pumpkin spice lattes, pies, and cookies; thankfully we have an easy, no-bake dessert that is a totally different take on our favorite fall flavor. Better yet, these are easy to prepare in advance, so it leaves more time to enjoy yourself at family gatherings or dinner parties.

Adapted from Kraft No-Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake

Ingredients:

For the crumble: 9-10 graham crackers 4 tablespoons butter, melted 2 tablespoons sugar 2 tablespoons brown sugar

For the filling: 8 ounces cream cheese, softened 1 can pumpkin ½ cup sugar 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice 1 teaspoon nutmeg 1 8-ounce tub cool whip whipped topping, thawed

For the garnish: 1 cup whipped topping Pinch nutmeg

Directions:

Place graham crackers in a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs. Add melted butter, sugar, and brown sugar, and continue pulsing until combined. Divide crumble evenly between 8 cups and set aside.

For the filling: In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to beat together cream cheese, pumpkin, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and nutmeg. Gently fold in 2 ½ cups of whipped topping and place mixture into a piping bag fitted with a star tip.

Pipe pumpkin mixture into the cups and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or until the mixture is firm. Garnish with remaining whipped topping and another sprinkle of nutmeg.

Yield 6 Servings; Cook Time 3 hours.

https://www.yahoo.com/makers/pumpkin-cheesecake-no-baking-required-1289554697928758.html

") or this could be assembled as a single pie.

Edited by birdhouse

• 10 months later...