NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Novalee

Speedygo

Got a question regarding Novalee she let's me pet her in her cage,but when she out of cage no petting she bites. Any suggestions as to what I can do. When she in her cage she comes to me to be petted thanks for any advice

Oops put it in wrong section

Edited by Speedygo

Miss Gilbert is fearful. She let me pet her only inside her cage with bars between us for what seems like forever. We recently got her a new cage that has a small door up high across from her food doors. I put a perch there and she started letting me open the door and she puts just her head out. Novalee may need more time to feel safe with you. The good side though is that many greys are territorial about their cage. She lets you in and solicits your scratches, so that's really good.

I rehomed Timber. For the first couple of months, scratches through the cage bars were all he was interested in, and that usually at bed time. As time passed and he started trusting me, we progressed to scratches outside the cage and later to cuddle sessions with him on my arm with his beak down again my stomach giving me access to his head and neck. It takes time, sometimes a lot of time (as in Miss Gilbert's case) but it is usually a matter of time and trust building. I might add though that all grey's are very individual. Some really enjoy scritches, others not so much.

My TAG Phenix never has allowed anyone to scritch him, for the most part. Once in a great, great while, I get to rub the sheaths off his new feathers. But I will tell you it's only for a few minutes at a time & it's still pretty risky! lol

He has trust issues & I have to respect that he just does not like that type of contact. Never has. Never will. It's okay to rub his beak & feet (unless I've recently cut his nails!). But that's it. So don't be disappointed if that doesn't turn out to be Novalee's thing, either.