NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Sophie is now interested in hanging pendant light

kins2321@yahoo.com

While everyone knows, Sophie flies out the moment I am home, now she is fascinated with hanging " chandalier". Electrical wires, my worse nightmare! I remove her, with urgency in my voice, so she stepsdown quickly! Within five minutes, she is back on the chandalier.Its limiting her " out of cage time!" I just need her to go four more weeks until I have a fantastic work schedule! I have already considered a towel on the light fixture... it didn't work. Any ideas? Nancy

Well the chandalier is not a fan, so has no blades. Just a chain, with electrical wires inside the chain. So on Saturday, I spent the entire day with her. I resorted back to what I use to do with her when she did something that was not allowed .Everytime she was on it, I put her back in her room after a firm " NO!". Ten minutes later, took her out again. We did this over and over. On Sunday, down to only two times on it. Again, I was consistent, said a firm NO... back to bird room, closed it for ten minutes and went and got her again. Sunday was much better. I can put plugs in electrical outlets, and can always anticipate her safety needs. I always dreaded her taking an interest in the light fixture, over the kitchen table!

I thought long and hard today, about putting something in front of the light fixture to scare her as others suggested. The problem is... Sophie is not afraid of anything! ( except a shower.) BUT... she isn't afraid of a shower, just hates it and does it because she knows she has to do it. Nancy

Nancy,

There's got to be SOMETHING she doesn't like!

For Echo - she doesn't like cat flirt poles, so I leave one draped across my computer monitor (I have a touch screen LOL)

Tinsel, a boa, a big stuffed snake, something has to work! LOL ... And when you find it, let us know!!!!

I've got nothing! We made a point thru all the time we have had Sophie, to introduce our entire house. Our goal was always to make her comfortable, whenever she was afraid, we worked together, to make her comfortable! We would meet once a week to discuss her fears when she was younger, and make a plan for the next week to work together, and help her with any fears she had! Discuss her progress the next week we met as a family. ( she sounds like a science project!) I guess we did a good job...I am proud that we helped Sophie to be a very confident bird, but now it is biting us all in the butt!

She thinks the world revolves around her, and doesn't understand, there are things in this world, that can hurt you! She has so many positive traits. Be strong, confident and be a leader that you were meant to be! I have always said this to her, and I believe she understood as she got older. She has been the flock leader of dogs, different birds of different origins. The most empathetic bird, you could ever meet. Now... her safety is threatened, and I am not sure what to do. I am thinking of duct taping the electrical wire.I am also considering have my handyman, remove the light fixture.Its not worth her safety. Nancy

We removed our chandelier in favor of a solid light fixture. GreycieMae thought it was way too much fun and refused to stay off of it. I had to build a cardboard 'teepee' around the thing so she couldn't get a spot to land. Wife got tired of explaining why we had a teepee around our chandelier and made me change it out.

That's what we did. Replaced the chandelier with a flush mount light. Their "playroom" was the former owner's formal dining room and had a very nice chandelier in it. But the first thing the birds did was perch on it. So down it came, that night, and up went the flush mount. Because it's their playroom where they are often unsupervised, it has to be safe. Amazing how these little creatures can change our lives and even our decor!

I LOVED this chandalier! Sigh! Just one more thing that I have to get rid of. I am noticing a pattern of give and take, that I just give! I am gonna talk to my handyman, see if he has any other ideas. I would rather disconnect from the power source and just continue to teach her " MINE, not yours!" She usually does respect me, when we have a disagreement about ownership. If I disconnect the power, and we develop an agreement, that the chandalier is mine... she will back off.Of course she will test me, but if the power is off, her tests won't threaten her safety. A battle of the wills. Nancy

Unless it's a breaker switch that you can turn back on, I wouldn't be jacking with the learning how to reconnect that chandelier if you have to have a handydude undo it in the first place.

Funny story time:

My wife had a 'handyman' redo the lighting in her bathroom as she put in a chandelier (who has a chandelier in the shitter - my wife that's who) and some track lighting above her new counter tops. I told her, no one flips the damn switch until I'm there to observe. I flipped the switch and the chandelier came on, the new bathroom vent came on as well as the light that goes with the vent which is supposed to be a separate line. He TOTALLY screwed it up and I was horrified when I crawled into the roof and saw the mess he made trying to figure out how to wire the whole thing - no understanding of line and load he just tried matching wire colors. I spent a whole weekend completely pissed drawing up the wiring schematics and then redoing the wiring myself so I could be assured my house wouldnt' burn down at the hands of some idiot handyman.

He also ended up flooding a spare bathroom when he ran a nail through a copper pipe in our laundry area. Chalk up another weekend to re-soldering pipe because I damn sure wasn't going to turn him loose with a torch to try and learn how to do it himself at the risk of burning the place down.

Edited by SterlingSL

DANG Sterling... you scared me! I'll make sure its just a matter of the circuit breaker. I am NOT losing this battle! I don't usually sweat about the " small stuff", and Sophie KNOWS this! ( so do my kids!). BUT, if it is important to me, to battle it out, kids are voting " Rom will win." Why yes she will! ( of course, Sophie's safety is first.) Soooo... where do you live Sterling SL? I am a GREAT birdsitter! Hint hint! LOL Nancy

LOL Sterling, my dad's favorite saying... "if you want something done right do it yourself." Sounds like you are like-minded!

I've learned many times over - nobody gives a damn about my stuff more than I do. There is one exception though in some cases: family. I would always work on my Grandma and Grandad's stuff with more attention to detail than I would my own.

I didn't disconnect the power. Sophie is doing well with training. ( she learns quickly!). Just off to vacation next week, have someone coming in to care for her. I just don't want to worry about the chandelier. She will be " closed" to the kitchen, so shouldn't be an issue. BUT... I just worry if caregiver screws up. I don't think she will... I am always worried, if I am not there Nancy