NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

In the early planning stages :-)

Greytness

I am considering retailing the birdie bread that I regularly make for my fids. I've been searching high and low for food prep regulations pertaining to birds but without any luck. I can only find state regulations for dogs and cats.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks! :-)

I am considering retailing the birdie bread that I regularly make for my fids. I've been searching high and low for food prep regulations pertaining to birds but without any luck. I can only find state regulations for dogs and cats.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks! :-)

Well, first off, you're talking about a product that will be ingested. Second, you're referring to a product that's manufactured by loads of companies. Usuually those companies also make many other bird food products. Not to be insulting but no matter how good you think your product is, there's always another same type of product that's better and that has to do with advertising. Your product would need to go through numerous testing in order to guarantee that it's not harmful to birds and also other animals that may get a hold of it. A common example is woodpecker suet. Other animals, rodents for example must be able to eat that suet without being poisoned since it falls to the ground. Ingredients in your product need to be tested and put into food classifications. All of this takes a long time to accomplish. You would need to pay for all the testing. That testing is usually done by the USDA. They cover and test all different foods for all different animals. Another problem that you need to take care of is the fact that your food will be given to wild animals such as parrots. After that's done, you would need to obtain a license and a patent on your food so that no one will be able to copy the ingredients in your product. Birdie bread isn't a hard item to copy. Instructions all over the net giving instructions on how to make huge varieties of bread and it's not against the law. Just about anything can be copied from the net no matter what type of item it is. So I'm not gonna tell you how successful you'll be. I will tell you it's a very common type of bird food that can be gotten and made anywhere.

I can offer 2 choices

1-----There's a member here who only visits to advertise different bird toys she makes. The ad usually includes photos. Her name is carolz7( She's usually in the Toy Room )You may wanna PM her to get advice on how to deal with rules and regulations concerning sales of products. Just remember that she's not selling food.

2----You may wanna decide to travel around the country to all the bird shows and give out samples with the option to buy your product. It's costly but if you think that you have a ground breaking item that you made then giving out samples may be a good idea.

Edited by Dave007

Thanks Dave. As I mentioned, I'm in the early planning stages, trying to determine if this would even work or not. The product that I'd make isn't a product that many would create at home. But many would love to have it available as a healthy alternative for their fids. It would be a fresh refrigerated or fresh frozen item. Most bird breads are in a form that people must reconstitute. So many of the nutrients have already been leached out through processing.

I didn't find anything on the web specifically mentioning regulations pertaining to parrot food. Only dogs, cats and livestock.

I appreciate and definitely welcome your suggestions!

Can't I just buy from you Greytness and give it a try? I am REALLY into healthy lately. Weight watchers, down 25 pounds, another 25 to go! Sophie is a perfect weight, but she is excited with my healthy living. ( she is excited, because I am excited!) LOL She has always had a healthy diet ,but now it is even healthier! I let her know how much points on ww her peanuts cost her! She worries, around ten seconds, then consumes them! Nancy