NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey Bird ~ Update~

Peachaburra

Hello everybody! I posted here back in March about taking in a Grey who I thought was going to be aggressive. Some people encouraged me, and some thought that I would not be able to handle him, because I had never owned a Grey before. While checking my computer bookmarks today, I came across this forum again, so decided I would post again and give you all an update on my Grey Bird.

It has been almost 7 months since GB came to live with me. When he got here in March, he had not been out of his cage or handled in five or more years. He was unsure, but very sweet. He was not aggressive AT ALL, and asked me to scratch his head the first night he was here. The first week he was here, I opened up his cage door, and he came out of his cage and sat on top. Which I thought was amazing for a bird who had sat in his cage for years. Throughout the past months, I have been working with him. He started coming out of his cage regularly, and asked me to scratch him all the time. I have been working on him with his stepping up for awhile. In July he stepped up for the first time, but only stayed on my arm for a few seconds. He didn't really do it again after that. That is, until two or three weeks ago, when he stepped up and let me hold him for the first time. After that one time, he continued to step up. I was so thrilled, after I worked with him for so long. Now he stepping out of his cage for me so nicely. We are still working on the step downs though.

Grey Bird and I get along really well. We both love each other! :o

I'll post some updated pictures later!

Welcome to you and GB! It is helpful to learn about a Grey if you have the time, but sometimes many of us just wing it, as it is a quick decision to get a grey. Mine was a quick decision, as the opportunity came up to get a two year old. More than 14 years ago! She came from a fantastic home, but her owner was a race car driver, that recognized, he wasn't home enough. ( needless to say, Sophie STILL loves to go for drives in the car. The faster the better!)

Continue to practice step up, step down, and always provide a reward, after step down. I always practiced away from the cage... cage possessiveness is too distractful.I think you made the right decision to invite this bird into your life. You sound like a great parent, that is committed. We are here for you. There are so many stages of development that a Grey goes thru ( Us too!) We are all here on this site to guide each other. Nancy

Glad to hear that you and GB are getting along so well. I remember clearly the thrill when enough trust has been established to get that precious step-up. Like Nancy said, just really reward both the step-up and step-down. It doesn't have to be with food all the time. Sometime just an excited voice and lots of praise works as a reward.

It's GreYt to hear you and GB have hit it off and are enjoying time together. After being caged for 5 years it is very impressive on his part to be so bold so fast. As those onion layers slowly peel back you will be both surprised and amazed at what GB do and say I suspect. :)

It is wonderful to read about Grey Bird and his new beginnings with you in your home. Seven months in grey time is a blink of an eye. He really is doing amazingly well with you. You now can count yourself having grey experience! How would you get it if you didn't take that chance and bring him into your flock? I love how you two are becoming close friends.