NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Mardy Grey (lol)

iWrite4u

I acquired Congo last Thursday. He is a fostered bird, 'rescued' by a national charity. I was warned he is not too friendly, but being a previous Grey owner (lost my beloved Greys due to a divorce) I have infinite patience.

Day 1 - just settling in.

Day 2 - left cage door open all day (I work from home so am around all the time). He came out for two minutes, had a walk around his cage and went back in.

Day 3 - ditto Day 2, except around seven in the evening he came out his cage, and remained out. I'd been warned he does not step up, so getting him back in involved a blanket. Big mistake - he did not like that at all. He has been clipped so can't fly but managed to flop to the floor. He then had a walk around the room and climbed back aboard. I eventually wrapped my hand in a towel and politely insisted he return inside, which he did after a couple of squawks.

Day 4 - sulked all day. He has adopted a perch as far away as me as possible as his sulky perch.

Day 5 - I was out all day - left at half seven in the morning, back at half five. He was overjoyed to see me! What a breakthrough! He even bowed his head for a scratch when I approached. Of course this was a trick and he bit me. He was in a happy mood all night (although still won't come out), fluffed up, dancing, playing 'getcha' games. He even let me touch his feet through the bars. Awesome!!

Day 6 (today) - sulking all day.

ARGH!!

Edited by iWrite4u

Welcome to you and Congo (I read that as his name. Correct me if I'm wrong.) I'm glad you come prepared with patience because you're likely going to need an abundance of it. There's no telling how much baggage your new buddy has brought with him into your home. It's amazing he's allowing any physical contact, but then again, you're in what we call the honeymoon period of a re-home so don't be surprised if there is a little regression in his behaviour in a couple of weeks or so. You might want to start a thread in the Rescue Bird Haven room where you, and we here on the forum, can keep track of his progress as he settles into his new forever home. Thank you for taking in this bird needy of a fresh start. You can always come here for support and encouragement.

Hi and thanks for joining us. I am happy to read that you have previous experience with greys and even more happy to read that you have infinite patience. In the early days with Miss Gilbert, I had a lot of luck with establishing a night time routine. I would let her out of her cage when it was evening time, then turn off three lamps in the room in the same sequence, about fifteen minutes apart so she knew the ritual was getting ready for bedtime. As I turned off the second light, I would put an almond in her food dish after I showed it to her and said it's time to go night night (she already knew that phrase). Of course, she didn't want much to do with me in those early days and she was in a big hurry to return to the safety of her cage. The routine made a big difference to her though.

Thanks for the replies!

Congo decided to grace me with his presence at about one. I was out for a bit (2pm-4.30pm) but when I returned he was very "so what?", even though I came bearing grapes.

He had another sulk when I was on Skype talking to my mum and sister. He also refused to do his trick (if you offer him a treat and ask "do you want it?" he will nod - the more nods the more he wants the treat) while on camera.

We played a few "getcha" games, and he has let me stroke his beak a few times. I have had two nips today. I cover his cage for ten minutes if he bites - not completely, he appears on his bottom perch looking sullen. When I uncover him he always comes straight back to the perch closest to me.

Cage door has been open all day but he won't come out. I put grapes on his door but he just grabs them and takes them back in.

When we play "getcha" games he does fluff up but as yet I cannot tell whether this means "Hey! I'm having fun" or "When I do 'getcha' there's gonna be so much blood."

He is currently having some supper. I've told him eating late at night will make him fat, but he is not paying me any attention.

Oh I love the fart noise, they do seem to pick their favorites and most we would wish they hadn't.

You have only had this grey for a week so be prepared for this to be a long drawn out process to get him to come out willingly but it will happen when he is ready so let him make that decision on his own. He has to come to trust you and that has to be earned so be ready to be as patient with him as he needs, the best things cannot be rushed.

Thanks again for all the replies, lovely to hear from so many grey lovers.

Congo has been quite cheerful this morning. He had some rice with me for breakfast (yes, I eat rice for breakfast as I don't eat bread or cereal) and was very delicate in taking a grain from me on my fingers leaving me my fingers.

His door is open and he actually came out to climb the door but went straight back in again. He seems to prefer to sit in the far corner of his cage in the mornings, kipping. He is really fluffed up today though, so hopefully that is a sign he is feeling happier. He is currently preening.

I also kinda think he spoke. I was giving him a lot of talk time and asked if he was going to come out to play today. Wishful thinking, but I think I got a "yes". I won't hold him to it.

His cage needs a clean today so I don't know how he's going to react to that.

No farts yet.

Congo is doing very well. I'm risking life and limb (well, fingers) by offering him treats on my open palm. So far, Congo has had lots of treats, and I still have eight fingers.

He still won't come out, unless tempted. I sat by his door eating an apple and he came out to 'share' it with me, but won't stay out. Small steps.

He doesn't like being left alone in the dark. I've invested in a 15w bulb. I only watch TV late at night, and he's worked that out already. He gets panicky as soon as the TV goes on as he knows the rest of the room is about to become dark. He doesn't like me going to bed either.

He doesn't like being left alone in the dark. I've invested in a 15w bulb. I only watch TV late at night, and he's worked that out already. He gets panicky as soon as the TV goes on as he knows the rest of the room is about to become dark. He doesn't like me going to bed either.

That probably won't go away. We have a bedtime routine here: we walk inside the dark bird room, GreycieMae hangs off my back so I have to get against a wall to get her back where I can get her. She then flops forward and crawls into my shirt. After that it's the death clench followed by 2-3 minutes of sweet talking and reassuring and she'll finally release and let me gently place her on her sleep swing. They're silly.

That probably won't go away. We have a bedtime routine here: we walk inside the dark bird room, GreycieMae hangs off my back so I have to get against a wall to get her back where I can get her. She then flops forward and crawls into my shirt. After that it's the death clench followed by 2-3 minutes of sweet talking and reassuring and she'll finally release and let me gently place her on her sleep swing. They're silly.

He's driving me nuts ATM. He's obviously keen to explore but just cannot pluck up the courage to leave his cage. I get five minutes of him sticking his head out of the door, then he retires to his 'quiet corner' disappointed in himself.

Welcome! Is this the cage he lived in before coming to your Home? If so it is his safe place. A new home is a scary environment he has not yet mapped out to the nearest 1mm accuracy. You are doing a GreYt job of taking it slow and going with the flow by his lead. Your previous Grey experience is certainly guiding you. I am begging to think the fart sound is a natural response of complete disapproval and dislike of what's happening. I know Dayo has never heard that in our home. :P

Welcome! Is this the cage he lived in before coming to your Home? If so it is his safe place. A new home is a scary environment he has not yet mapped out to the nearest 1mm accuracy. You are doing a GreYt job of taking it slow and going with the flow by his lead. Your previous Grey experience is certainly guiding you. I am begging to think the fart sound is a natural response of complete disapproval and dislike of what's happening. I know Dayo has never heard that in our home. :P

LOL - thanks.

No, this is a new cage, but he seems to be a well travelled bird.

I'm now being really brave and offering him treats on the palm of my hand. He took the first four treats fine but decided on the fifth he'd prefer a chunk of my finger instead. I have lots of plasters.

We had a lovely session when for about five minutes he let me stroke his beak while calling him a big baby, which he likes. He edged away when I went too high and touched the side of his nose, but that's an improvement from the bites I've received previously. He is noisily eating his supper as I type this. Doesn't seem too stressed yet with the approach of bedtime.

You are doing GREAT! Being patient and encouraging to come out KUDOS! It takes a long time. Keep at it. Make it exciting and interesting just to get him on the door. Books, board games in front of cage with other friends while ignoring him....he has so much potential from what I've read. Welcome! Nancy and Sophie

He is being very noisy today. He usually doesn't 'wake up' until 2pm!