NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Tweet Chirp Cheep Tweet!

I hope that translates into "Hello, I'm new here!" :P

(also, fair warning, try as I might to keep things short, I am a talker!)

I'll give a bit of background for my introduction to the forum here. I lurked for a while before I made an account, and thanks to Talon's help can finally post my hello! This seems like a wonderful community to be apart of.

I'm an artist at heart, exploring my creative side through pretty much whatever I can get my hands on! My primary medium is pencil and inks, I love my Copic markers. I also do a fair bit of three dimensional work, usually in Sculpey clay and Model Magic as they're more convenient to use on and off. I've done some work with wood and metal. If you ever get the chance to use a plasma cutter, take it! :cool:

I'm a fond lover of horses, and have a good deal of casual experience with them in the pasture and in riding(I say casual, meaning nothing within the realm of formal competition).

As for critters in my immediate life, I'm owned by a small menagerie consisting of a 75 gallon tropical freshwater aquarium, my little dragoness Leopard Gecko Bingo, and an adopted hamster aptly named: Dig.

My father has two rescue Miniature Schnauzers, for those who are familiar with the breed. An absolute joy, Coach and Sampson. I am in the process of moving up to his property and into my own one-room house!

I have little long-term hands-on experience with birds, and I hope to change that around! I became interested in keeping a parrot as a companion as I started looking into types of critters are big on interaction, attention, and personality. I did a bit of research into different species, originally forgoing the African Grey due to being scared off of the slew of behavioral problems I had read about, and that they are not a recommended beginner's bird.

Originally intending to go for a Cockatiel, I somehow found myself into reading more on African Greys, and the more I learn, the more I am taken by this spectacular avian! I am very interested in the relationship possibilities and their individual personalities, intelligence, and cleverness. That said, I am still doing my research. I've read through most all the stickies on this forum and plan on picking up some of the recommended reading listed in one of them.

In the meantime, I am blessed to have the opportunity to set up my living quarters with the possibility of a future parrot in mind. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I think I finally got it through to my dad that any furniture he is particularly attached to needs to not be put in there; I showed him pictures of what a beak can do to wood!

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! So far I've yet to be scared off or second guessing the messes and household damage these feathered critters can do. I am wary about how much damage their sharp beaks can cause, any thoughts on getting over that apprehension? I'm used to getting scratched up or bumped about due to my active nature, but a parrot's beak is so much more daunting.

I feel silly asking, but is it very common to get serious injuries requiring prompt medical attention from a bird that has been well socialized, handled, taught, and generally well-rounded in their education? I know to expect getting bitten, whether by accident or on purpose as a warning especially during hormonal periods.

If you take the time to form a good relationship, build a strong bond and to socialized your feathered companion the chance is slim.

Also take time to learn and read their body language as this will tell you their moods. They are experts on reading your body language.

There is always a chance that from time to time you will get a nip or two, but remember their beak is like a hand and they use it to climb and get around.

Just because they grab your finger or hand with their beak dose not mean they mean to bite, they may need to balance them self and the use your finger or hand to hold on to.

Your answer helps to settle my nerves on that matter, thank you, Ray! :'3 Though I have not had the opportunity to do so often, I have felt how they use their beaks for moving about. It's such a strange feeling when they grab a finger to balance themselves to step up!

I am hoping I can visit at a parrot sanctuary about an hour's drive from my house. Unfortunately once I move that'll make it a four hour round trip, but totally worth it if I can get some hands-one experience and some practice reading body language. I've read Dave's wonderful summary of common body language and a few other sources, but I know 'book knowledge' is a world apart from the real deal.

They offer a basic care class. Does this sound like a good idea to you?

For those interested, here's a small article on the sanctuary in question; it's how I found out about it.

I hope that translates into "Hello, I'm new here!" :P

(also, fair warning, try as I might to keep things short, I am a talker!)

I'll give a bit of background for my introduction to the forum here. I lurked for a while before I made an account, and thanks to Talon's help can finally post my hello! This seems like a wonderful community to be apart of.

I'm an artist at heart, exploring my creative side through pretty much whatever I can get my hands on! My primary medium is pencil and inks, I love my Copic markers. I also do a fair bit of three dimensional work, usually in Sculpey clay and Model Magic as they're more convenient to use on and off. I've done some work with wood and metal. If you ever get the chance to use a plasma cutter, take it! :cool:

I'm a fond lover of horses, and have a good deal of casual experience with them in the pasture and in riding(I say casual, meaning nothing within the realm of formal competition).

As for critters in my immediate life, I'm owned by a small menagerie consisting of a 75 gallon tropical freshwater aquarium, my little dragoness Leopard Gecko Bingo, and an adopted hamster aptly named: Dig.

My father has two rescue Miniature Schnauzers, for those who are familiar with the breed. An absolute joy, Coach and Sampson. I am in the process of moving up to his property and into my own one-room house!

I have little long-term hands-on experience with birds, and I hope to change that around! I became interested in keeping a parrot as a companion as I started looking into types of critters are big on interaction, attention, and personality. I did a bit of research into different species, originally forgoing the African Grey due to being scared off of the slew of behavioral problems I had read about, and that they are not a recommended beginner's bird.

Originally intending to go for a Cockatiel, I somehow found myself into reading more on African Greys, and the more I learn, the more I am taken by this spectacular avian! I am very interested in the relationship possibilities and their individual personalities, intelligence, and cleverness. That said, I am still doing my research. I've read through most all the stickies on this forum and plan on picking up some of the recommended reading listed in one of them.

In the meantime, I am blessed to have the opportunity to set up my living quarters with the possibility of a future parrot in mind. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I think I finally got it through to my dad that any furniture he is particularly attached to needs to not be put in there; I showed him pictures of what a beak can do to wood!

Are you ready to own a grey? It’s an important question that should not be taken lightly.

The most important considerations are how much time you have for your grey, how much patience you have to train an incredibly bright and pretty much wild, creature, and what tolerance do you have for noise and mess. For some, noise means one thing and for some others it means something different

Parrots Need Attention------Lots of Attention

Parrots are extremely intelligent creatures. They need regular stimulation. Some species are prone to self-mutilation if they get bored, such as African greys and cockatoos and although these 2 parrots are totally different species, they have many, many things in common. They need plenty of toys to destroy – and those can get expensive. They need play time outside their cage. A bored bird can be more than depressed, they can make your life miserable with screaming.

Parrots Are Flock Creatures

That means they want to be with their flock. I remember someone once inquired about lovebirds and wanted to know if they would be happy in the garage – he was worried about the noise and mess. No. They will not be happy in the garage. Don’t get a bird if you want to relegate them to a lonely spot by themselves.

Parrots Can Be Noisy

Luckily, greys aren't

You probably won't get a noisy bird get a noisy parrot, but chances are at some point each day they can raise a ruckus.This is instinct. They are calling the flock.

Parrots Can Be Destructive

Got a favorite wooden chair? Have jewelry you wear which may get chewed on? Make sure the grey doesn’t get onto it – it might be missing an arm an hour later if you do. I remember when a friend bought a new (expensive) treadmill, and his grey managed to jump from her play tower to the arm rails without him noticing for 5 minutes. In that time she had a delicious time destroying the foam covering.

Parrots need constant supervision when outside their cage, and the alternative is NOT keep them in their cage all the time. That's a terrible thing to do and will cause a bird to have an attitude and create boredom.

Parrots Are Messy

No matter how big a seed or other food catcher you get, there will be seed on the floor.

And they poop. A lot. You will be cleaning up poops all the time.

Parrots Are Amazing

If you have the right mindset and environment for a parrot, they can be the most amazing pets. They will make you laugh and surprise you over and over with their uncanny intelligence.

The truth is, a parrot is a much larger commitment than a more domesticated animal like a cat or dog. They can’t wander around on their own so they require your time to get the attention and exercise they need. There is nothing sadder than a parrot relegated permanently to a cage to just sit glumly waiting for their life to be over. If that’s what you think could happen, don’t do it. Also know that other animals need to be watched when they're around parrots. Anyone who says that it's perfectly alright is a very

Probably, the worst potential owner is one that intends to go to college, be away for long periods of time, thinks that owning a grey is a novality, hasn't made any effort to get the whole family involved with the keeping of the bird. A one person bonded bird isn't fun if others around it can't handle the bird. Realization soon sets in.

A person needs to know that a grey or other parrot is a wild animal and will remain that way no matter how long a person owns it. There's a 98% chance that any grey who escapes from the house into the outdoors won't be found no matter what device is used on them.

A baby grey is totally different than an adolescent/ adult grey. The change in personality becomes obvious.

Clipping a grey's wings to cause a bird not to fly around can be compared to trying to deal with a symptom rather than the cause.

There's wonderful reasons to get a grey but try to absorb the downside. See if it applies to you.

You wanted some info about owning a grey? Sit down and read it.

Wonderful words of wisdom Dave, and it's easy to see that you have the parrots' best interests at heart. I don't plan on taking home a grey anytime soon, until I know for certain it's the right choice. I've only been researching and reading up on they and other parrots for about two months now. I am aware it is a big commitment, and any mistakes or second-guessing would be at the parrot's expense.

This is why I am going to get involved with the parrot sanctuary before making a final decision; I can try to imagine the level of work and commitment it takes from reading stories and seeing pictures all I like, but nothing beats hands-on experience.

You wanted some info about owning a grey? Sit down and read it.

Which is exactly what I have been doing, short of owing and reading the parrot books yet. I am making a list of which to acquire, many of which I have learned about from this wonderful forum.

Having an animal like a parrot is a life and life style changing experience. What I mean by that is that they need as much (supervised) out of cage time as possible every day. If you're a person who works and likes to go out after work with friends, getting home late most nights, then a parrot isn't for you. Not to say you can't do it once in a while. An occasional disruption in routine is ok, maybe even good, for your bird, but for the most part they thrive on a routine. They're happiest and healthiest when they're with their flock. They require a lot of time and attention, but they also give you a lot back. Just in sheer entertainment value alone. There's not a day when Dorian doesn't make me laugh, even when he's also driving me to the funny farm. Are you planning on getting a baby or an adult? The challenges are different with a so called second hand bird, but the experience can be very rewarding. Each bird is an individual with its own personality and likes and dislikes, which you should have a good sense of if you'be been reading around our forum rooms. Keep doing your research and you should make a great parront!

I have not decided between rehoming an adult parrot or if raising one from baby staged after being weaned would be better fit. I've read some articles commenting on frequent reports of CAGs being cuddly and friendly with the person who raises them, then later changing their bond to another member in the family. On the flip side, TAGs were said in the article not to, or very rarely, change their affections as such(I don't remember the article name off the top of my head, I'd have to hunt it down again). So, that is a concern I would have, raising a CAG from a young age. I am more drawn to rehoming an adult parrot in needing of a loving forever home, but it would depend on the individual bird.

I don't do much travel, though I do on occasion go to historical reenactments, basically a camping trip with history, that I attend for 2-3 days, and I have been looking into options for traveling with the bird. I think it could be a great socialization event, but on the flip side could just end up being incredibly stressful and never be fun for the parrot, plus being a hassle for travel planning.

Ironically, one of the first parrots I ever met was at one such event several years ago, the man had been working with them for years.

Beyond those occasional trips, I spend a lot of time at home. My job leaves my mornings and early afternoons completely open, though on days I work I would be getting home later, around 8-10 depending on the day.

While having Sophie, my grey since two, an Amazon from birth, a conure rescue, I never feared Sophie;s bite! Greys can clamp down... but a Sunconure can " tear"... I'll take Sophie clamping down a little harder, doing no damage, telling her " that kinda hurt!" She would feel bad in a heartbeat! That was when she was two! Fifteen now. No bites and is my best friend. Nancy

I have sent out some emails asking about getting involved at the MAARS parrot rescue/sanctuary. :cool:

Should I update this post with my ventures there once they begin, or should I make it its own journal-type thread?

Edited by Asharion
Spotted a grammatical typo, and just had to fix it.

I have sent out some emails asking about getting involved at the MAARS parrot rescue/sanctuary. :cool:

Should I update this post with my ventures there once they begin, or should I make it its own journal-type thread?

It's time for you should start using the various rooms here. This room is strictly for welcomes/intros. You've already discussed different subjects in this room which should have been moved to other rooms.

Post all of your ventures in the Grey Forum room.

Having had three birds of different species, sunconure, Amazon and grey, that all lived in harmony together, I can say the Grey was my favorite. Sophie my grey, would FREAK out over the most silliest things! We all just had to think like her and would know what is upsetting her! While most greys pick one owner, we never encouraged that, so she loves all of us.

Sean home from college, and Sophie wants to be with him all the time.He DOES spend a ton of time with her, but closes his door at bedtime. Sophie has chosen to sleep on the tub( next to his room) recently. Bathroom is child proofed, so once she figures out his room is not going to open, she puts herself back to bed. Open cage concept is alot of work! ( doesn't mean she can fly everywhere and anywhere! ) Nancy