NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cage bar spacing

Greytness

One of our fellow forum participants is selling her macaw cage, which has 1 inch bar spacing. I've been thinking about upgrading Maalik's cage, but would like to know from everyone if you think the spacing could present a problem. Maalik does enjoy poking his beak through the bars of cage to receive beak kisses and scritches. Do you think he could potentially get his head stuck?

Do any of you have your CAGs in a cage with 1 inch bar spacing?

Thanks for your feedback!

I think it's also about how easily they can climb. Although harder to come by, I try to get cages w/all horizontal bars. The spacing is less of an issue because the fid just goes up & down it like a ladder. Claws wrapped around one bar, beak hung on another. Whenever the bars are vertical, the fid has to grab two bars at a time in their claws. Wider bars are more of a challenge.

Edited by birdhouse

Sorry... started my new job this week and have been going nuts trying to get launched! I took this job mostly, so I could have better hours to spend with Sophie. I'm loving it... but with anything knew, takes commitment, so I haven't had much free time. I'm going to measure for u tomorrow. I remember when Sophie was young, and Kiki, my Amazon was a baby. Lack of coordination. They would get " stuck", or " fall". I contacted my bird trimmer, talked to my vet, and had them agree on the perfect cage for me! I will measure for u this weekend Nancy

Greytness... also to let u know, I investigate everything to death, and count on my trimmer and vet to help me with decisions. One inch seems to be the decision. I purchased both suggestions! Not that I have a ton of money... but I started with three birds of different origins, open cage concept, and needed three cages. Those three cages, led down to two. Fancy cage was for sleeping, second cage was for hanging out and eating. All of my birds played and ate in one cage ( they had two jungle gyms as well). Sophie would sleep in fancy cage. Nancy