NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Does Alex beak look ok?

samansad

Mine all have monster beaks so to me it looks fine. Nothing some wood and chewing couldn't handle. :-)

Haha, after I submitted that post, I saw Bongo in the side picture, see now, that is a monster beak. (he had a liver condition when he was a baby which caused his beak to grow out funny. It grows away from his face instead of downward like most birds and is really thick.)

Edited by murfchck

Mine all have monster beaks so to me it looks fine. Nothing some wood and chewing couldn't handle. :-)

Haha, after I submitted that post, I saw Bongo in the side picture, see now, that is a monster beak. (he had a liver condition when he was a baby which caused his beak to grow out funny. It grows away from his face instead of downward like most birds and is really thick.)

haha you are right, that is a monster beak. But very cute!

It may be a teeny bit long, but I wouldn't worry about it right now. Get him a pumice perch that he might be able to use to grind it down a bit, give him lots of stuff to chew, and don't worry about it. I wouldn't want to interfere with your bonding and trust building right now, and it's not long enough to interfere with his eating or climbing.

Our parrots enjoy an almond in the shell. We give them one every night just before bedtime and it seems to help keep the tip of the beak blunt. They also have pumice perches and while I see them wiping their beak, I don't see them biting on it much. When the time comes for Alex to see his vet, ask about the beak but it doesn't seem to interfere with his eating.

It does look a little long- but it looks like it is being worn down to me. I wouldn't worry too much so long as Alex has no problems eating, drinking or getting around. With the pumice style perches and lots of things to chew he should be able to look after it himself for the most part. Just keep and eye on it and see how it goes. If he ever looks like he's struggling to eat, drink or get around, then you'll need to take him to the vet.