NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My birds ;

Ray P

Some of the most rewarding experience and joy that I`ve had in my life has been with my parrots.

My wife and I have had cocaktiels for 44 years and we love them so much. they are little parrots with a big attitude.

About 15 years ago along came Corky my CAG, and she took us to a new level of being outsmarted by a walnut size brain and another love affair.

With all that said and done we thought we saw and had it all. And than about 6 1/2 years ago along came Cricket a 12 year old BFA with attitude that needed a home.

The one thing I have always said is Cricket taught me more that I ever taught her. She was right up there with Corky my CAG when it come to taking over your life.

It`s said that Amazons are the most trainable of the parrots, but I think they are the most teachable, there is a difference.

I never used treats as a reword for being good. I would take the extra time to interact with them. I wanted the interaction to be the treat. OH they do get treats, but it`s not for doing something. They would get a treat just to get a treat. We could be just sitting and I am on the computer or watching TV and they are on my shoulder sharing our snacks with each other or getting their head scratches and hanging out. So much of our do nothing time was the best time of all and the most remembered of all. All you have to do is be there for them and enjoy your time with them and they will enjoy that time just as much as you.

I always feel bad whenever someone tells me they're afraid of birds (& there are a surprising number of people who are). They will never know what they're missing. Living for decades w/these little guys can be such a wild ride, at times. But mostly, it's a wonderful adventure.

Some of the most rewarding experience and joy that I`ve had in my life has been with my parrots.

My wife and I have had cocaktiels for 44 years and we love them so much. they are little parrots with a big attitude.

About 15 years ago along came Corky my CAG, and she took us to a new level of being outsmarted by a walnut size brain and another love affair.

With all that said and done we thought we saw and had it all. And than about 6 1/2 years ago along came Cricket a 12 year old BFA with attitude that needed a home.

The one thing I have always said is Cricket taught me more that I ever taught her. She was right up there with Corky my CAG when it come to taking over your life.

It`s said that Amazons are the most trainable of the parrots, but I think they are the most teachable, there is a difference.

I never used treats as a reword for being good. I would take the extra time to interact with them. I wanted the interaction to be the treat. OH they do get treats, but it`s not for doing something. They would get a treat just to get a treat. We could be just sitting and I am on the computer or watching TV and they are on my shoulder sharing our snacks with each other or getting their head scratches and hanging out. So much of our do nothing time was the best time of all and the most remembered of all. All you have to do is be there for them and enjoy your time with them and they will enjoy that time just as much as you.

I follow this style with Isaac too. He 'hangs out' and flies around at his own leisure. I am just there to save the stuff of mine I want to keep and to make sure he doesn't get hurt. My daughter and I were watching a movie last night and he was either hanging our on his perch beautifying himself or flying down for some scratches. And of course....playing with kitchen utensils. Full blown family member. I always try to make stuff for myself that he can eat too and he will kick back plate-side and have my meals with me. He's there on the shower curtain rod in the morning serenading me with his dictionary of sounds and words. I thought I loved parrots when I was looking for Isaac....HAhahhhahahhahha! Ohh my gosh...compared to now....I knew nothing. They are all great ambassadors for their species if you are a good listener. They can teach anyone with a heart so much respect for parrots and life in general. Something which I have always had but grew immensely greater when Isaac entered the picture. When I get a bigger place, I want to build him a larger aviary and get him some more friends! I don't even think I am willing to leave him for even a few days until I can be certain he will get the love and attention he needs. In return, I feel so appreciated by him. The way he mimics me, repeats things when I laugh at them in order to get me to laugh again. Flying down to my shoulder and rubbing his head backwards up the side of my face multiple times. It never ever gets old. Yeah...hanging around the house and doing nothing isn't really so bad. :)