NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Removing ID ring

neoow

Hello all,

Alfie is going to the bet on Monday to have his beak looked at and also to be microchipped.

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the ring round his leg (it's a closed ring- no gap) and if so, is this something a vet is going to be able to do?

The ID number on it has mostly worn off so it's redundant... especially as he'll be 'chipped. I also feel that it may be rubbing on his leg and starting to irritate him as he keeps poking at it. I'd rather have it taken off to avoid any possible problems.

I am an advocator of microchipping our parrots. Both of my greys of chipped and it gives me oodles of peace of mind. It does not bother them in any way and they have been chipped since their first vet visits when I adopted each of them. Ana Grey is 7 and Sterling Gris 4.

Edited by luvparrots

I honestly had never heard of microchipping parrots until I read about it on these forums and started asking questions about it. I just didn't realise it was possible! Both cats are microchipped in case they get out- so as soon as I found out I knew I wanted to get Alfie sorted too. I keep reading numerous stories at the moment about parrots escaping from their homes and it does worry me. I'm super careful whenever Alfie is out but it just takes one little mistake and one fleeting moment for it to happen. At least if he's chipped I would have a bit more chance of him being identified and returned to me.

I had all my 3 removed . It was a simple clip and the vet gave it to me for safe keeping. They are dangerous, many a bird has chewed their foot off after them getting caught in a toy while their parront was away .

To add my .02....

Peck had his band removed but WAS NOT micro-chipped (back then I am not even sure they microchipped birds). Thus there was no 'paper trail' to prove his legal importation, and thus when his family decided to move out of the country, he could not go with them. Make sure if you are getting a band cut off, you have the bird chipped while at the same vet so records exist to prove that your bird is who you say they are (i.e. - captive bred, or legally imported pre-ban).

On the subject of entrapment - I had always been told a well-fitting band isn't much of a risk but TWICE Alex managed to hang his on a grapevine wreath in the aviary. The second time, after freeing him, I went right in the house and made an appointment for the next day to have the band cut off. He was microchipped at the same time. He was close banded by a breeder (likely a mill-type as he came from a Petsmart). Even his "well-fitting" band was able to get caught up. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of bands. Just make sure if you have bands removed, you keep good records.

My avian vet advised getting Brutus' leg band removed and I did. I am very glad. My vet sees many injuries because of leg bands. Might as well minimize injury possibilities if I can. Brutus is also microchipped. I am not sure about the long term health effects, or if there are any, but it gives me peace of mind to know that WHEN he gets out again he can be traced. My parrots are all flighted and I wouldn't have it any other way, even with the risk of losing them. At least having a microchip helps if he were to get out.