NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Parrot talk progression

VFR_Mayday

Hi guys, I know that greys usually begin speaking anywhere from 8 months to 18 months. My question to the experts is how does this progression usually go? Mayday, my 11-13 month old grey came to us and didn't say anything besides what sounds like "up", which makes sense. He was able to pick up the water drop sound I was working on getting him to imitate and another one that sounds like woooooooaaahhhh. He also cat calls that I think he picked up from the previous owner. Anytime eye contact is made with him he does the water drop. So basically, once they start mimicking sounds are words soon to follow? Or can it be a big time difference between noises to actual speaking time. Just curious. Thanks guys - blair

I'm not really sure, as I got Sophie when she was two. She came from a good home, but was still doing alot of baby talk, but I only met her twice before adopting her. Her daddy did say she imitated lots of sounds farting, burping, coughing... he wasn't kidding! LOL! I discovered within a week, she enjoyed " contact calls", I'd say something, or a sound, or a whistle...she would repeat it! It became a game, and when she won... I would go get her and praise her. Its her favorite game even today. More than a decade later, Sophie chews my ear off, but if she doesn't have the words, she goes back into babble! ( she talks nonstop!) Nancy

There is no hard and fast rule for when greys begin to talk. Of course, some don't. Mayday hasn't been with you long so my advice would be just to talk to him a lot. Even read to him from children's books. Give him sounds to imitate. The fast that he's picking up sounds fast is a good sign, but it doesn't mean words are going to follow. Just spend a lot of time with him interacting, and establish good contact sounds like Nancy says.

Each bird is different when it come to sounds and words. I have two that repeat things they have heard even just once or twice. I have another that prefers sounds like Sparrow chirps, pop top cans being opened, the key fob sound unlocking the car and running water. Another that only talks human in a Darth Vader voice and only in the evenings. One that prefers whistles and barks like the dogs.

Like others said, I think every bird is different. For example, Alfie (my grey) much prefers whistles and noises to words. He's not a big talker compared to some. However, if you start whistling, it's a sure fire way to get him going. He'll try and join in and copy whatever you're whistling. Him and my housemate have regular whistle battles- sometimes I struggle to tell which whistle came from who!

They are always watching, listening and learning. Alfie is 12 years old and picks up new sounds and the odd word all the time. Sometimes he suddenly starts recalling sounds/words that he hasn't used in years too. If Alfie is learning new words he quite often waits til he thinks nobody can hear him and mumbles away to himself. He practices all sorts of different voices, words and phrases. Sometimes it's just pure mumbling and sometimes he comes up with a new word or phrase which he practices for a while.

Other parrots learn all sorts of words and phrases and can pretty much hold a meaningful conversation (of sorts) with their owners.

Just keep talking to Mayday. You'll be surprised with what noises, sounds and words he'll eventually come out with!

However, don't expect him to be a big talker. They don't all learn/use words

Thanks guys. My lucky little ringneck is now 14 months old and doesn't say a word. But he's a funny guy. Runs around the floor chasing his cat toys. Mayday is attached to me all the time. If I leave the room it's a smoke alarm till I come back. The water drop is his favorite. Anytime eye contact is made or he sees me with millet or something. When we are outside I hear him going, whistles, water drops, laser guns and some sort of evil laugh that I just heard for the first time 5 minutes ago. I still continue with teaching words even if he doesn't repeat them. Like I tell him to say please and thank you when getting treats and what not. Good morning and good night, outside and shower time. So we'll see what he picks up. I didn't get him specifically for talking, I got him because like we all know when you find the right bird something just tells you on the inside that he's the bird for you. He's s funny guy. Every night he has to crawl down and assume his spot on my shoulder on the couch and get groomed until bedtime. He's got lots of pins since he pulled almost all his feathers out but it's surprising how fast they came back in. I'm not sure what the previous owners did but he is a model citizen in my household. But I don't lock them up except for nighttime and when we leave so I figure he's in one of the best homes he could be. Thanks for the responses guys!