NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bird Cam - Beak to Face Conferencing

Elvenking

Okay...so I know that I am not the first bird crazed person in the world so come on tell me....who has set up a bird cam or established a system of having bird video conferences with their pet while at work?

I have an old laptop that I want to set up on a desk next to Isaac so that I can remote video conference him at will from a desktop or from my phone. I need it to be automatic so he doesn't have to do anything. This would be so I could check in on him during the day and say hi. I have to start thinking this way if I am ever to go on vacation or leave him at all. I have not a soul who is going to replace me when I am away. I do not know anyone who would come over and talk with Isaac for hours. I would get him used to it at home at first...so he could understand that all he is doing is seeing an image of me and what I am doing...then I would show him myself to let him know that I am not somehow trapped in the phone. Then after a while...I could talk to him while I am away. I HATE leaving him alone. I have not been gone for more than a day or two stretch since I got him. But I am at work all day and would like to just say hi sometimes.

Thoughts??

Edited by Elvenking

I have the video with sound from their end. I cant talk to them, can only listen & observe. I have access thru my any computer & my cell phone. I KNOW my birds would freak out and want me NOW if they ever heard my voice, so I would never want to frustrate them like that.

All of this is great to hear. So people are thinking along the lines of something similar which is nice to know. It's also nice to know that I might be first to set up a remote conference with my bird. I just think it would be sweet to be able to pick up the phone...and in essence...Face Time (or Beak Time as I like to say) Isaac. I will let you know how this goes. I will try to set it up over the weekend.

Ha! If we could figure out all the functions on our phones and then how to work our darn remote we would in a heartbeat. We look at all the camera systems at Sam"s every time we go there and think, "One Day, ahhh"!!! Can not wait to hear how it goes!

I had a camera set up for a while but it was one way only, I could see and hear Alfie but couldn't communicate back in any way. I know you can get similar cameras which allow you to speak through the camera but I haven't seen anything that would allow video as well which doesn't need some kind of interaction from the person (or parrot) at the other end. Unless of course facetime (or similar video conferencing software) can be set to auto-answer incoming calls?

Elvenking...we look forward to you figuring out conferences with us and birds. The only conference Sophie enjoys, is skyping with Ryan my son. Sophie LOVES it!

As far as going on vacation, they need to learn you have to go away. In the beginning of our relationship, I paid big bucks for Sophie to be taken care of.As time went on, Sophie became more social, I paid for an " in house" sitter. Sophie loves teenagers, or young adults. Those I hired, she knew them for many years. When I came home, she acted like I was never gone. Nancy

Elvenking...we look forward to you figuring out conferences with us and birds. The only conference Sophie enjoys, is skyping with Ryan my son. Sophie LOVES it!

As far as going on vacation, they need to learn you have to go away. In the beginning of our relationship, I paid big bucks for Sophie to be taken care of.As time went on, Sophie became more social, I paid for an " in house" sitter. Sophie loves teenagers, or young adults. Those I hired, she knew them for many years. When I came home, she acted like I was never gone. Nancy

Yes...I imagine I'll have to find a similar soul to come stay with Isaac. If I knew someone would come over to talk with him, let him out and genuinely care for him..I would be 100% perfect. I am not sure who has the guts to let him out though for some fly time. I have to find someone pretty special and unafraid...plus trustworthy. Any strategies you know of?

I don't know what they are supposed to see. But I've read that birds don't see on screen images like we do. So worst case, they'll see some kind of graphic image which they'll learn to associate w/your voice, if that's true.

But theoretically, you should be able to turn a PC or tablet into a 2-way Nanny Cam. Little 10" net books are $200* or less now. "Cheap" tablets even less. Most have a web cam & microphone built in. They should also have the software capability to create a VPN (virtual private network) which could wake up the system. This VPN could be created to remote into from different types of devices from your work computer (employer allowing ") to your smart phone.

There are probably a zillion setup instructions on the internet for the more brave or tech savvy. For the rest, a chat w/someone at Best Buy's Geek squad, Staples Easy Tech or your local computer repair store, maybe?

* I just got an Asus X205T at Staples for l/t $50, tax incl & a Toshiba Encore mini Win 8 7" tablet for free after all reductions (clearance, open box),$100 off coupon & Staples rewards. Guess who's giving the best presents this season!?!

Yes, I am bragging a little bit. lol But only to show that w/a little creative bargain hunting, this doesn't have to be an expensive proposition, at all.

Edited by birdhouse

I don't know what they are supposed to see. But I've read that birds don't see on screen images like we do. So worst case, they'll see some kind of graphic image which they'll learn to associate w/your voice, if that's true.

But theoretically, you should be able to turn a PC or tablet into a 2-way Nanny Cam. Little 10" net books are $200* or less now. "Cheap" tablets even less. Most have a web cam & microphone built in. They should also have the software capability to create a VPN (virtual private network) which could wake up the system. This VPN could be created to remote into from different types of devices from your work computer (employer allowing ") to your smart phone.

There are probably a zillion setup instructions on the internet for the more brave or tech savvy. For the rest, a chat w/someone at Best Buy's Geek squad, Staples Easy Tech or your local computer repair store, maybe?

* I just got an Asus X205T at Staples for l/t $50, tax incl & a Toshiba Encore mini Win 8 7" tablet for free after all reductions (clearance, open box),$100 off coupon & Staples rewards. Guess who's giving the best presents this season!?!

Yes, I am bragging a little bit. lol But only to show that w/a little creative bargain hunting, this doesn't have to be an expensive proposition, at all.

I happen to have proof Isaac can see what is on the LCD screen. He makes a gulp sound every time I drink my cup of water or anything really. We were watching a show and the lady on TV was drinking a martini. When she did so, Isaac made his gulping noise. I was amazed. There is some chance it could be coincidence..but I tend to believe otherwise. He has followed my mouse pointer all over the computer screen as well.

I have an older Surface with a built in video cam. I can set that up next to him. I am yet to get to this task but it is coming soon. Just been busy the last couple of weeks. I'll let ya know how it goes. :)

I don't know what they are supposed to see. But I've read that birds don't see on screen images like we do. .....

That may be true of the older CRT tvs with a high speed spot scanning a fluorescent screen but I am sure they can see modern hi def flat screen tv images. I know Misty recognises images of Greys on tv because he will sometimes say "That's Misty!"

Steve n Misty

I have been using the non night vision version of one of these IP cams.

http://www.banggood.com/ESCAM-Ant-QF605-HD-WIFI-IR-Cut-P2P-Support-IOSAndroid-Security-IP-Camera-p-975978.html

It gives a very good image to your iPhone , Android phone or tablet and PC ( not Mac :( ) it also supports two way audio communication. It can record to an SD memory card on the cam. So you can view live and see a playback if you wish. You can only view using the app provided and it is password protected. It connects via your Wi Fi router.

For what it does it is ridiculously cheap. The only down side is most of the instructions on the app and the leaflet that came with mine are mostly in Chinese so setting it up was a bit tricky. They did say they were going to update that with more English. The important parts of the Android app are in English and I believe that is also true of the IOS version. I paid about $35 for mine, the non night vision version. This newer one with night vision is $40 including postage from China.

Oh yes I should point out that I do not have shares in the company :)

There is another company called Tinydeal.com that also sells these. I have one from each. They are competitive in pricing so it is worth checking both as you may save a dollar or two. :)

Steve n Misty

Edited by Mistyparrot

Elvenking...Start paying attention to your neighbors, and who has kids. A 12-14 year old would be perfect to hire to come read a book. I did this for a few years. Never asked them to take Sophie out of the cage, but bonds were created. A 12 hour shift is very long, and Sophie enjoyed those story telling.Those kids started showing up for free on my eight hour shifts just to visit!

As far as finding someone to care for your baby... the relationship established as early as possible, is the best. Dan was 12, when he first met Sophie. So it was a no beainer, for him to care for her when he was 18. Once he went to college, his sister whom also knew Sophie since she was young, took over taking care of Sophie when I went on vacation.Sophie gave her a hard time for first few days, but as Jessica was already a vet tech, she was determined to be friends. It took her four days for Sophie to love her to death! Always pay well, and start introducing them twice a week a month before you go away. Checkout interns at your vet... Nancy