NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My Beloved Peck

Muse

A little over a year ago, we adopted my Little Man. I couldn't call him my baby. He was fully an adult and his personality showed it. I didn't teach him anything. He taught me everything. He taught me a new language. He gave ME commands. He recalled to me, but not because I trained him. He never accepted one food reward for flying to me. He came to me because he LOVED me and wanted to be near me. That made my heart soar. Over time, we learned to trust and our relationship blossomed.

I thought he had a sinus infection. It turned out to be much more insidious. He was in heart failure.

The more I see of this, the more I am beginning to believe that they do not belong in cages. Peck makes four birds in two weeks that I know of personally that have been diagnosed with heart failure - two that have died of it - and just today I read about another bird being diagnosed with heart failure on Facebook.

It's long been known as established fact that a sedentary lifestyle CAUSES heart and arterial disease in humans. It's my firm believe that this bears out in birds.

They *need* to fly. It's truly the 'cardio' exercise.

I have heard many 'expert' vets blame heart problems on "high fat seed diets" but many of these birds were on pellets for either their whole lives or the majority of their lives. I believe it's not the diet. It's the lack of exercise.

Peck had only started to fly, and it was for very short hops. I noticed more and more over the past few months he'd call me to get him instead of flying to me. And I indulged him. Would it have made a difference if I'd have made him fly to me? I suspect the short little flights were far too little, and far too late.

I would give everything I own to have found a way to save him. My heart is so broken. I loved him with every bit of my heart and soul.

I picked him up tonight and his little carved wooden box now sits next to Marden. I hope they are both flying together in Heaven.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree that they do need to fly, but, living in our houses, with windows, ceiling fans, and other dangers, forces us to adjust their activities. If they truly are to fly, it's not just from room to room. These animals need to be free in the outside world to get real exercise. I liken it to a man in prison. He lives in a cell (cage), and gets out for exercise in the prison yard (our houses or just a room or two). But, what can we do? They are here, in our lives, in our homes. We give them the best that we can. Heart problems, health problems, are from a combination of things...diet, exercise, environment, genetics, mental & emotional condition & stimulation, etc. You & we all do the best that we can for our feathered children. But, just like our human children, they have to live their lives within the structure that is here. Everyone & everything dies from something, nobody gets out alive. It's nobody's fault, and no one can avoid it. At least we can take the best care of each other possible. You're grieving, and all this is natural. Know that you made his life as good, safe, and happy as you could. We all have faced this, and will again. The only way to not, is to not love anyone or anything. I wish you peace.

Edited by BaileysPapa

My condolences for your loss. Peck had the best life with you even though it was short, it was filled with a lifetime of love and care. What you learned from him will multiply and bless many parrots both in your care and through you in ours as well. While your heart is breaking, he is sharing his love with Marden and they will greet you again some day. Until then, your love for them will ever be in your heart and soul. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry for your loss. I doubt that you making him fly in the last months would have make any difference in the out come. In fact, it may have hastened it. He was suffering from heart problems when he came to you and his strength was leaving him, that is why he didn't fly to you when you know he wanted to be with you.

Sad for your loss and grief is such a painful thing. Our Vet says that like some people and some breeds of dog some Parrots are genetically prone to heart disease. Many birds live and have lived very long lives being cage bound and on diets we would consider very deficient. I just lost a friends bird I was caring for to an infection from a retained egg yolk, sudden onset and death occurred the same morning she showed symptoms. My heart goes out to you.

Edited by Greywings

I am so sorry for your loss. I am a firm believer in allowing our birds out of cage times as much as I am home & free flight all the time. I don't think there is anything more you could have done. YOU did the best you could & gave him the best life ever.

Its never easy to lose one of our beloved companions but you have been dealt a double whammy with the loss of Marden and now Peck but know you did all you could, no one could have asked for any more from you and those two greys were so blessed to have you in their lives even for so short a time as it was.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all for the kind words. It's almost two months (tomorrow) now and it still cuts me like a knife. My relationship with Marden was more of a mother and baby. My relationship with Peck was more like an adult friend that I loved very, very much. Mar loved me because I was a parent to him from babyhood. Peck loved me because we bonded to each other by our own choices. He taught me more than I ever taught him. I hope he's teaching Marden now.

Often I think of Peck and Marden and how much they meant to you. One of the top ten pinnacle moments of my life was the day I was told I could bring Juno home. My husband keeps a photo on his phone of the photograph they took when I was holding him on that day. It has been six years since we lost him and his brother. It still takes my breath away. It is a realization that although our time was short it was a lifetime of joy for them to be loved the way your boys knew your heart as well. I believe the joy of our boys lifts me up to be able to be calm and patient for Miss Gilbert while she teaches me the meaning of grey time.

Our little Raven's bush is coming back in full force again this year. It will be the third time it will bloom. I still miss her and get teary thinking about her. I still use her little photo as my avatar on my phone and email. Such a sweety and I really miss her. These birdys are so hard to lose...