NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Lucky Day for Me

chezron

Some of you may remember almost a year ago I lost Brutus and got him back. Well today, I took the parrots (in their cages) outside, like i do daily, and forgot to remove their food bowls since they were getting a shower, so I removed their bowls outside. I told Brutus that today was "Shower Sunday" and he hates getting a shower! I stepped away to retrieve the hose and when I came back he was GONE! It turns out I forgot to latch the door where the food bowl came from and he had made an emergency exit because he didn't want a shower. I, of course, started to freak out, but walked inside the house, and there he was calmly preening himself on one of the perches! OMG! I am the happiest and luckiest person alive that Brutus knew how to fly back into the house! This is my miracle and I wanted to share! I keep looking at him and telling him how smart he is and how good he is. I am so thankful I did not lose him today!!!!!!!

Sheesh! Talk about lucky. I had an incident a couple weeks back where I stepped out of the aviary to get a dish, left the doors (aviary AND saftey cage) unlatched, and then got distracted and went to work. By the time I was 3/4 of the way to work I realized what I had done and that my aviary was probably wide open by 'now'. Wife wouldn't pick up so I got to the office and emailed and FB messaged her trying to get contact. Finally decided to head home at 90mph - longest drive of my life. Got home and there they were sitting on their usual spots just preening away - doors unlatched but still closed.

I don't care how dang careful you are, you're gonna slip up. I now will not leave the aviary unlatched even if I'm stepping 5 feet away with the intent to come back because I know I'll hose it up.

Blimey! Clever Brutus! What an awful feeling that must have been though.

Once when I was cleaning out Alfies cage I (for whatever reason) took both trays out of the bottom of his cage at the same time. I set about emptying the bottom tray and scrubbing the top barred tray without much thought. I looked up at Alfie and saw that he was intently looking at the bottom of his cage. I followed his gaze and saw one of the cats wandering around the bottom of his cage having a good old sniff. My heart jumped up to my throat as I realised what I'd done. I usually leave one tray in when the cats are about so they can't get in and climb up the inside of the cage! What an idiot!

Fortunately nothing came of it- the cat was too distracted by sniffing the bottom of the cage from the inside so I managed to lure him out with a toy and put a tray back in. Alfie wasn't hurt and neither was Widget (the curious cat!). Phew!

Edited by neoow

Widget is such a cute name! So glad you all had happy endings to your close calls.

The cats at our house are no threat, mostly too old to care. How fortunate that all turned out safely for all of you. We have a small dog named Widget, small world.

Widget's sister is called Pixel. My housemate and I both work in ICT, so computer themed names were a must! :)

Okay... don't make fun of me or laugh... I'm guessing " internet computers technology."Am I right? Nancy

Information and Communication Technology. In my workplace that seems to translate to anything with an electric plug! :)