NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

People who are close to me.

Acappella

Hi guys. I wasn't sure whether to post this here but decided to give it a shot. I've been trying to find a person or place to put in my will to make provisions for Dorian in case anything ever happened to me. I'm only 48, so we're hopfully not talking anything imminent, but I feel it's part of my responsibility as his momma. There's no one in my family I could even begin to consider. As a matter of fact I'm not speaking to a large section of my family based upon how they behaved around Dorian when I was moving 3 years ago. It involved their threatening to put on gloves and shoving him into a pillowcase. I've been emailing rescues in the city (Toronto) asking if they, or someone they know, would accept being named in a will. Obviously there would be a financial donation made to the rescue, and a smaller sum left to Dorian's new parronts (although that wouldn't be disclosed to them upfront). I just want someone knowledgeable and caring enough to find him his next home instead of ending up on Craigslst to the highest bidder, which would be my idiot brothers solution. Well, the rescues I e-mailed haven't even replied to me, so I'm turning to the forum. I'm in Lindsay ON, about 1 1/4 hrs outside of Toronto. I know we've got members in Ontario, but I'm not sure where. I need someone who would take Dorian and interview people to re-home him. Like I said, I'm 48 and he's 13 so maybe this will never need to happen, but I'd feel better if it were set up. I'm open to any suggestions. What have you done to make provisions for your fid?

• Haha 1

Very good to think ahead of need, it would be best for Dorian if he could be with people he has already met and seems comfortable with but if that is not an option here is a link for Parrot rescue organizations in Canada.

https://www.google.com/search?q=parrot+sanctuaries+Ontario+canada&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I recommend calling or emailing and finding out as much about each of them as you can and find out who you are comfortable with.

• Haha 1

You are a good parront to set things up for Dorian....I think all parronts should do the same. I personally, have a life ins policy left to my 4 kids. I instructed my daughter to use her share for my 3 parrots as needed. I have left my parrots to her with the instructions for her to do what she feels is best in her heart. She is very much like me, and would only allow them the best place possible. She knows each parrot , their likes, dislikes, their routines, their personalities, and I trust she will do what is best for them whether it be keeping them, on, or giving them to whoever is best suited. It is written in my will as I am 55 and my parrots are 6-10 years old. I wish I could give each child one, but my daughter is best suited for them, not my boys.

It is good you are looking into things now..I wish you the best of luck, it isnt an easy thing to do.

I've made arrangements with my son and his wife, who tend to Timber when I and the hubby are out of town. I think it is a good idea to plan regardless of age. With things like the tornadoes this year, the Amtrac derailment etc., you never know!

We all need to make such important decisions...Being 54 had alot to do why I decided to not get another puppy, or rehome another bird. Ryan gets Sophie, as he wants her. If he's not ready due to working on his career and something happens to me sooner... my girlfriend will take care of Sophie until he is ready Nancy

We have financial arrangements made in our will for Miss Gilbert and Java, but the details are fuzzy. How long would it take one of our girls to get time off work and come up from Texas in an emergency? Things like that. I used a black marker and wrote the web address for Grey Forums, my username and password on the back of her cage so someone can sign in and get information to learn to live with her in case there is an interim period. There is no one better in the world to seek advice than from this forum.

• Haha 1

We have financial arrangements made in our will for Miss Gilbert and Java, but the details are fuzzy. How long would it take one of our girls to get time off work and come up from Texas in an emergency? Things like that.

I used a black marker and wrote the web address for Grey Forums, my username and password on the back of her cage so someone can sign in and get information to learn to live with her in case there is an interim period. There is no one better in the world to seek advice than from this forum.

This is is a FANTASTIC idea!

I know you don't really know me very well since I just joined here ... but I do live in Ottawa, and would be happy to have my name as an emergency number so that Dorian doesn't get shipped somewhere ... 5.5 hours is NOT that far away!

And worse case scenario (for Dorian) he could live out his life with me and Echo ... and get to fondly glare at the cat and dog from his perch on the other side of the room!

I have arrangements with the breeder that I got Echo from that she would take her back ...

I'm only 43, but I make arrangements for ALL my pets as soon as they enter my home!