NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Happy ou

Acappella

(The title should be Happy Outdoors) Those of you who have followed the path Dorian and I have walked will know that he has had an at best indifferent relationship with the great outdoors. At first he was frankly terrified of everything. The sun was going to kill him, the breeze was going to kill him, the birds were going to kill him . . . He would just sit frozen in place until I carried him back in. (I take him out in a cage that's 28"h x 18" x 18"). By the end of last summer he would deign to take a drink or a snack, or try to take a bath, but no sounds would leave his beak and he would not play with any toys. Well, yesterday I took him outside for the first time this year and he was a different bird! Playing, singing, talking, interacting with neighbours, wagging his little red bum, grooming, bathing, and not panicking when I got more than a few feet away from his cage. I think I may have finally convinced him that the great outdoors are not evil which means I can take him outside more this summer. Go Dorian!!!!!

• Haha 1

This is great news for you and Dorian. Miss Gilbert and I are right behind you. This week she has explored every room on the main floor and the top of the stairs. I can hardly wait until she is ready to go out first on the patio that is covered and eventually to the top deck with full sun while I am out there.

Good for you both! Persistence & consistency pay off. The older they get, the smarter, more curious and less fearful they get.

It is amazing when I think back to the fearful little fellow I took in how fearless he's become. I recently took Dorian's rope swing out of his cage for repair and decided to try his boing in his cage. He hasn't seen his boing since we moved three years ago (I haven't found a place for it) and was prepared to have to go through the whole routine of starting it across the room and slowly moving it closer. Well, he didn't so much as blink, just let me put it right in his cage with him, walked over to it and gave it a good shake to ring its bell. New toys don't phase him either. I really believe it's based on the trust he has in me and I'm very proud of him.