NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello from Southern New Jersey

Hi everyone. I just rescued a beautiful 15 year old Congo Grey yesterday. I fostered a friend of mine's Grey and Amazon for a few years about 10 years ago. When she moved out of state with her boyfriend but due to their relationship ending she moved home and wanted her parrots back. While I was fostering her parrots me and her Grey became very good friends. Everywhere I went he went with me. I was devastated when she wanted them back. But gave them back because I have a good heart and it was the right thing to do. I finally found a Grey and was able to adopt it yesterday after looking for almost a year. I remember a lot of the care and foods that are good and bad for Greys. But I'm sure their are things that I have forgotten over the years. I found your forum just now and decided to join. Due to my Grey going from home to home I know nothing about his or her background and unfortunately the lady had no paperwork for him or her. It was left in its cage all the time with just 1 toy. That's a sad and boring life :( I brought him or her home last night and left her in the cage . I was told she is a girl. But I put her in the living room where she can see and hear everyone. Fore she is a part of our family now and is finally in her forever home. I spoke to her yesterday and was very shocked when she laughed at me and whispered something that I could not understand . I was told she makes no sounds or talks. I did not adopt her for their speaking ability. I asked the lady how long she had her for and she said 3 months. She said she was told her previous owner is a male and he died and the Grey dislikes men. I'm a little confused about that.. but no big deal for she is my bird and I am a female. She couldn't tell me why she is getting rid of her and quickly changed the subject. She looks to be in good health . Her feathers are not plucked for the most part even though I did see 1 small area under her 1 wing that is bald. The reason why I am posting this is if anyone could give me any advise I will take any and all I can get.. I am giving her space but after having her for 24 hours I opened the door and she came out and is now on top of her cage playing with a few toys and I was able to feed her a hard boiled egg and a few grapes. She is eating and drinking. I asked the lady what she fed her and she said just pellets. No table food besides pasta every now and then . If I am correct which I did go on the Internet and look. Parrots should be fed ... fruits .. vegetables. .. pellets.. etc.. I hope the Internet is correct. But like I said any advice on foods etc.. will be greatly appreciated. I know I probably should of gave her another day in her cage but I felt so bad with her always in it. So I opened it when she was talking . Whistling and interacting with me and my 9 year old. She has not came down off her cage top so she does look happy.. sorry this is so long. Thanks in advance. I called my vet and made a wellness appt just to make sure she is in good health and may do a dna test. Unfortunately she has no band on her leg

Adopting a pre-owned parrot is a different thing and with it comes some difficulties and situations although the new and experienced person such as you is able to understand what they're actually seeing in that parrot. Usually, people like you have had experiences other older parrots and are able to ease the pressure that the pre-owned parrot is going through.

These parrots have usually lived in either one or a few homes in the past. With each home, the parrot develops habits that pertain to what's going on there. Parrots don't forget things very easily and when that parrot moves on to that next home he/she takes those habits with him/her. It's frequently referred to as 'baggage' or 'history' which involves many aspects of the parrot's personality and habits and ways of thinking. The ideal adoption of a pre-owned parrot is getting one that has no 'baggage', but that's impossible. First of all, the parrot is older and very sure of itself. The 'baggage can't be gotten rid of. Usually, a person that adopts a pre-owned parrot forfeits the experience of that parrot living and acting like a baby. Many people who are experienced don't have a problem with that phase of ownership. The people who do have a problem are the ones that aren't familar that experience. They don't get that experience over night. What they do see is an obvious amount of previous 'baggage' and they become disillusioned and many times, the parrot will soon be off to it's next home. The amount of 'baggage' that the parrot stores away when living in that home depends on how long the parrot has lived in other homes. Part of that newly obtained 'baggage' are the personalities of all the different owners that existed and the methods used to make the parrot conform at each home. Again I say, parrots don't forget and they have the natural ability to store away more and more situations. Some of these owners should have never taken on the adoption of a pre-owned parrot and some of these same people should have never taken on the task of owning any parrot but we all make mistakes. No one's perfect.

The only similar thing I can compare this situation to is the adoption of a child. The ideal adoption is when the child is very, very young and the new parents are being given the chance to easily intergrate that baby into their family life style. But what about those children that are 8, 9,10, 11, 12 yrs and older? They also come with 'baggage' which will remain with them. Some people can't handle that older child and then he/she will shortly be making that familar journey back to those different foster homes and all over again those children are just waiting for the right people to come along and who will accept them for what they presently are.

Adopting an older child isn't for everyone and adopting an older parrot isn't for everyone. Luckily, there are those experienced people out there who can cope with either situation.

Diet---Yes, that's their basic diet plus a decent seed mixture. A parrot won't eat everything that's offered but that's to be expected. Human food is good too. Chicken bones. No chocolate, no avocado, no caffeine. Any nuts should be unsalted.

We have a food section---what kind of foods, recipes for food etc etc.

You'll have to wait and find out on your own about what you said about disliking males. The bird is in a new house now.

We have a Health Room that tells about aloe vera juice and aloe vera gel for bathing, treating small cuts, bruises. There's areas all over here that speak about plucking, pulling, chewing feathers

To me, the bird sounds like she's already accepting her new environment.

PS----Your post wasn't too long

Check out the other rooms here and see if anything interests you.

Hello Skyemperess and welcome to our family.

Thanks so much for giving this grey a new forever home and he/she will flourish under your care because you know what you are doing.

Pellets can be part of their diet but not all, a good seed mix is a staple of their diet and fresh vegetables with just a little fruit from time to time, the bird food room will have lots of threads on what can be fed and what is toxic so give that room a good looking over for lots of ideas.

Its a good idea to have that wellness check to make sure your bird is healthy and doesn't have any medical issues.

I can't wait to hear more about your bird and maybe a picture or two.

Welcome to the Grey family! What is your grey's name? Can't wait to get to know the both of you! Pictures are always welcome (hint, hint).

The previous owner called her or him .. Pierre... but they said he or she didn't respond to it. My 9 year old and I haven't figured out a name yet but are thinking about... Bella, Baby, my 9 year old likes puffy .. But haven't decided yet. I can upload a picture :) will do that shortly

1429393789224.jpg

20150418_143923.jpg

Adopting a pre-owned parrot is a different thing and with it comes some difficulties and situations although the new and experienced person such as you is able to understand what they're actually seeing in that parrot. Usually, people like you have had experiences other older parrots and are able to ease the pressure that the pre-owned parrot is going through.

These parrots have usually lived in either one or a few homes in the past. With each home, the parrot develops habits that pertain to what's going on there. Parrots don't forget things very easily and when that parrot moves on to that next home he/she takes those habits with him/her. It's frequently referred to as 'baggage' or 'history' which involves many aspects of the parrot's personality and habits and ways of thinking. The ideal adoption of a pre-owned parrot is getting one that has no 'baggage', but that's impossible. First of all, the parrot is older and very sure of itself. The 'baggage can't be gotten rid of. Usually, a person that adopts a pre-owned parrot forfeits the experience of that parrot living and acting like a baby. Many people who are experienced don't have a problem with that phase of ownership. The people who do have a problem are the ones that aren't familar that experience. They don't get that experience over night. What they do see is an obvious amount of previous 'baggage' and they become disillusioned and many times, the parrot will soon be off to it's next home. The amount of 'baggage' that the parrot stores away when living in that home depends on how long the parrot has lived in other homes. Part of that newly obtained 'baggage' are the personalities of all the different owners that existed and the methods used to make the parrot conform at each home. Again I say, parrots don't forget and they have the natural ability to store away more and more situations. Some of these owners should have never taken on the adoption of a pre-owned parrot and some of these same people should have never taken on the task of owning any parrot but we all make mistakes. No one's perfect.

The only similar thing I can compare this situation to is the adoption of a child. The ideal adoption is when the child is very, very young and the new parents are being given the chance to easily intergrate that baby into their family life style. But what about those children that are 8, 9,10, 11, 12 yrs and older? They also come with 'baggage' which will remain with them. Some people can't handle that older child and then he/she will shortly be making that familar journey back to those different foster homes and all over again those children are just waiting for the right people to come along and who will accept them for what they presently are.

Adopting an older child isn't for everyone and adopting an older parrot isn't for everyone. Luckily, there are those experienced people out there who can cope with either situation.

Diet---Yes, that's their basic diet plus a decent seed mixture. A parrot won't eat everything that's offered but that's to be expected. Human food is good too. Chicken bones. No chocolate, no avocado, no caffeine. Any nuts should be unsalted.

We have a food section---what kind of foods, recipes for food etc etc.

You'll have to wait and find out on your own about what you said about disliking males. The bird is in a new house now.

We have a Health Room that tells about aloe vera juice and aloe vera gel for bathing, treating small cuts, bruises. There's areas all over here that speak about plucking, pulling, chewing feathers

To me, the bird sounds like she's already accepting her new environment.

PS----Your post wasn't too long

Check out the other rooms here and see if anything interests you.

Thank you so very much.

Thank you for the pictures and for taking on a bird with so little history. You both fit right in here all my birds are from other lives and other homes. You will learn about grey time, they like to really mull things over before they decide a new thing can be fun or even safe. It sounds like she/he feels safe already so don't rush things allow time to develop trust and a great relationship.

Welcome! I'm new to the forums too and I really love it here. Everyone is really great and no one judges you :) There is nothing comparable to owning a grey in my opinion. I look forward to hearing the stories as you two get to know each other.

Greys are very intelligent and sensitive creatures. Go forward at their pace. If they're friendly and inquisitive, be friendly. If they show an interest in you and their new home, let them explore. Talk to them. Make them a part of your routine, a member of your family. Read as much here as you can. Ask us questions. We are all very friendly, helpful and experienced, and have your new bird's best interest in mind. We want you to have a great relationship with this bird that will last it's lifetime. Good luck, and thank you for taking in this angel with feathers.

Hi guys quick question. In the middle of the night last night all was quiet and then a loud thump from inside my Greys cage. I believe she fell off her perch while sleeping. . Has this happened to anyone else? I checked on her and she was climbing back up and fine. But I've never had that happen before. She is great today playing inside and outside of her cage

Hi guys quick question. In the middle of the night last night all was quiet and then a loud thump from inside my Greys cage. I believe she fell off her perch while sleeping. . Has this happened to anyone else? I checked on her and she was climbing back up and fine. But I've never had that happen before. She is great today playing inside and outside of her cage

Now is the time to start using the different rooms for different subjects. Not everyone looks at the Welcome Room to find different subjects

Examples

Cages belong in Cage/Stand room.

Food belongs in the Food Room

Habits and differences belong in Training or Grey Lounge Rooms

Etc Etc

I would suggest putting a folded towel for padding on the bottom of the cage to rotect him if,it happens again, also a nightlight may help as well. My tag falls on occasion when she has a night fright. I have both for her.

Miss Dayo used to fall a lot when she was younger. I would here the same thump you describe and run out to see her climbing back up the cage side. She now sleeps not in her cage but in my room with me. Still on occasion something will scare her in the middle of the night. Could be a bug or even a stray feather (I have seen it happen enough times in the daytime) and I'll end up with a parrot on my head. The folded towel and night light are a good idea.

gnite.jpg

Hello and welcome to you and your new grey! As others have said, the stickies have a lot of good information. Many of us are rehomers, so ask anything you want. There's an excellent chance someone on the forum will have experience with whatever situation arises. Good luck and God bless :)