NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Africans and other birds

Madi

Hello all!

I'm new here and if you haven't seen my joining post it's just that I'm currently trying to adopt a grey and am getting ready for my new addition!

But I was curious of how grey's do with other parrots, I've read a lot of conflicting information so I figured I would ask all of you as I've seen quite a few of you have other species of parrots as well. I don't have any pets at the moment but my partner was talking about maybe getting an IRN later in life and I was curious as to how well Greys do with other species.

Also sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I figured it was a pretty generic grey question.

Thank you!

We have a Caique and a Jardines (another African breed). GreycieMae can't stand the Caique and only gets slightly jealous of the Jardines however she does know how to frighten him and make him fly into windows/mirrors. My take is, they do not like sharing their hoomans with other birds. My other birds show none of the jealousy issues that she does.

IRN's tend to be a bit flighty and are more of a birds bird than a Grey. They can learn a lot but with out frequent handling they tend to be more stand offish. Each Grey is different in how they perceive other birds, pets and even humans. Hard to predict what this birds reaction would be especially as you have not yet met this bird and have no knowledge of it's world view at this point. If you read through some of these forums you will find several of us have multiple birds of varying types. Some greys on here enjoy their company, some are jealous or angry.

Thank you for the advice, we would not be getting another bird for probably a couple of years after the grey. I will definitely have to play that one by ear to see the personalities and if another bird would be in our cards later in life! I think that once we get her/him he will be too in love to want a baby of his own ;) haha but who knows!

I have 10 birds, including my Grey. They all spend a lot of time out of their cages in the same area. Bailey, my Grey, is jealous and protective of me and his cage. If he notices that other birds are on me or his cage, he will travel from wherever he is to chase them. Usually they are gone by the time he gets there, so there's been no problems. But, my other Grey, (now deceased), had no problems with other birds being around him. It is a matter of personal (the bird's) preference and training exposure. Jessye, my other Grey, was raised with lots of birds around all the time, and wasn't bothered by them. Even though Bailey has always been around the other birds, he is. You cannot second guess them, they have their own minds.

• Haha 1

I will have to wait and see how their personality is and ask the rescue if they have had any problems with other species before. Then take it slowly and see how the dynamic of the house is.

My partner is in love with this little GC conure at the pet shop down the road, do you think that conures and greys are too big of a size difference to be safe?

Again, we wouldn't be getting another for awhile after we get our grey, but figured I'd pick your brains while we're on the topic. :D

My Grey is the largest bird of my flock. The others are 2 Cockatiels, a Lovebird, a Parrotlet, and 5 Budgie Parakeets. As I said, I keep them away from him. But, one of my Jessye's best friends was a Canary that he used to sing along with. The Canary kept a distance from Jessye, but, they'd share Jessye's tree stand and sing together all day. Jessye never went after Tweety (the Canary). And, yes, Jessye sang like the Canary!

I had birds of different origins. An Amazon, sunconure and Grey. They all worked it out in the end. ( it WAS alot of work), but worth it. Don't even focus on getting other birds right now, focus on getting the Grey to love both of you. Share responsibility. I keep Sophie safe and fed, Sean entertains her with silly games, Ryan entertains her with music. She loves us for different reasons, but in the end, we all satisfy " her personal list", of why should she love us! Its CRAZY how they think, but once you figure it out, greys are not as complicated as we think they are.

We all understand Sophie now... and I am happy to say, she will stepup to any of us Nancy

I have 10 birds, including my Grey. They all spend a lot of time out of their cages in the same area. Bailey, my Grey, is jealous and protective of me and his cage. If he notices that other birds are on me or his cage, he will travel from wherever he is to chase them. Usually they are gone by the time he gets there, so there's been no problems. But, my other Grey, (now deceased), had no problems with other birds being around him. It is a matter of personal (the bird's) preference and training exposure. Jessye, my other Grey, was raised with lots of birds around all the time, and wasn't bothered by them. Even though Bailey has always been around the other birds, he is. You cannot second guess them, they have their own minds.

10!!! Blimey! You must have the patience of a saint! :D

I'm definitely very very excited for my grey and excited to see how things will change when they come home so I know I won't want to get another bird soon after but they're just all so cute and have such different little personalities! haha How can bird people resist all the cute babies? :rolleyes:

Madi, it's hard to resist. However, when I realized how much attention Timber requires, not to mention the money for food, vet bills, toys, etc. I've managed to resist I'm not saying I will be able to hold out forever, but for now I'm standing strong! ;) I've always had pets. I have four housecats now. However, a grey is a whole different prospect! The cats are much more independent. Timber is like a child. He wants all my attention all the time. You'll understand when you have your new baby. I have a great deal of respect for the multiple bird owners on the forum. As I said, I may have another myself one day. For now though, I'm content to focus on Timber, which is his preference too I believe.

" resistance"... is very hard! While I always had a plan with my birds, the plan changed. Not by me, but by circumstances. Now bird trimmer feels Sophie needs a new friend ( he is not looking to earn money, but to give me a rescue or rehomed bird.) My friends tell me Ollie needs a new pup. I was excited initially... but now the struggle of getting a new bird vs getting a new dog... I am not sure why I should do either as Sophie and Ollie are best friends! I would only do it to " save" a dog or bird, but I am getting older now, and don't want to put a dog or bird in a situation that they out live me Nancy

Thanks Madi! Ollie my pup escaped today off his runner! I found him trotting next to a dog walker, with a dog that looked just like him! I recognized his walk while driving around the block looking for him. LOL He really liked his new friend chewy ( how embarrassing). Now Chewey's owner wants a play date... I'm SO embarrassed and HATE... when I suck as a parent Nancy

That's not being a bad parent, dogs get out of things all the time, don't blame yourself. The good news is that you found him! Along with a possible friend for him to play with when he's feeling lonely :)

Olie is in love with the new pup next door to the right... pup, a rescue, is in love with Ollie on the left. He is getting alot of attention! I bought him a new runner today, as he is escaping the old one. Two escapes in one week was too much. He could have been hit by a car. He won't be escaping.... but his new long runner can get him in both directions where he wants to be Nancy

I haven't read all of this thread yet, but i feel inclined to add my experience. I have an African Grey, a Panama Amazon, and a Quaker parakeet. The Quaker was first, I got Brutus, the African Grey, a year later. They bonded immediately. They love each other so much. They spend a significant amount of time either antagonizing each other, or in competition when I call them to another part of the house. They each try to fly there first and get the spot closest to Mama. I do not let them land on me unless i request it, so they land close to me. Once, the Quaker, got out and by happy circumstance, was returned a few days later. During that time Brutus got so depressed without his little buddy that it made me sad. I got rescue Pancho, the Panama Amazon, while Jimpster was gone. Brutus loves Pancho too, even though they do not directly interact. Within a week of getting Pancho, Brutus was saying, "I love Pancho" and "Pancho is a good boy." I just feel Brutus likes having a flock. I think Brutus' world would be significantly reduced and sad if either one of the other birds was gone. I think the key to it is Brutus knows he is number one for me. I am not sure how he knows it since Jimpster spends so much time on my shoulder, but he does. I tell him all the time that he is my favorite because he is. We have a special bond. I am thankful for the rest of the flock.

Edited by chezron

Thanks Chezron. I appreciate your experience! Its been a year since we lost Zoey, lost Sunny our sunconure the same day a year later. It was a tough few weeks after. Kids stepped up, while off in college. Ryan skyped more with Sophie, Sean came home every two weeks to make sure everyone is ok. Sophie and Ollie are more close and both are doing just fine! Nancy