NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New Member Here, Looking for Advice on Weaning Pellets

All_Hail_King_Rufus

Hi everyone, I just signed up today after lurking around for a while. I Have a little guy named King Rufus (DNA test shows he's a male). Anyways, I've had him for three weeks and he's about 7 weeks old.

I know, I know people despise breeder's who do this but I convinced them to sell me Rufus because I'd been researching greys for the last year, speaking to her and visiting the nursery for a while and I also felt extremely confident in hand feeding and care. He goes to the vet (avian board certified) every two weeks for check ups and he's doing awesome..... end disclaimer.

So now, on to my actual question. What's a good pellet to start the weaning process? As of today, he is 403 grams and is getting approximately 42mL at each feeding. He has also started picking at and eating WET cheerios and ZuPreem fruit mix pellets, they are super soft for now. He also likes corn, green beans, carrots and banana (small pieces of course).

I plan on discussing it further with my vet next week but I wondering if you guys had some info on a good pellet to start the pre-weaning and also the weaning process. Thanks!

Edited by All_Hail_King_Rufus

Hello and welcome to the forums!

I can't give you much advice I'm afraid but I'm sure someone else will come along soon who can help. I just wanted to say welcome!

Photos of your baby grey are always extremely welcome! (hint hint!)

Hi everyone, I just signed up today after lurking around for a while. I Have a little guy named King Rufus (DNA test shows he's a male). Anyways, I've had him for three weeks and he's about 7 weeks old.

I know, I know people despise breeder's who do this but I convinced them to sell me Rufus because I'd been researching greys for the last year, speaking to her and visiting the nursery for a while and I also felt extremely confident in hand feeding and care. He goes to the vet (avian board certified) every two weeks for check ups and he's doing awesome..... end disclaimer.

So now, on to my actual question. What's a good pellet to start the weaning process? As of today, he is 403 grams and is getting approximately 42mL at each feeding. He has also started picking at and eating WET cheerios and ZuPreem fruit mix pellets, they are super soft for now. He also likes corn, green beans, carrots and banana (small pieces of course).

I plan on discussing it further with my vet next week but I wondering if you guys had some info on a good pellet to start the pre-weaning and also the weaning process. Thanks!

Well, at 7 weeks you've still got a long long way to go as far as formula feeding. Then, when that finally happens, people introduce veggies to a diet. Veggies are 100x better than introducing pellets at a very young age. Also, when solid food is finally offered, it should be a good parrot mix that has a wide variety of seeds in it. One type of pellet just doesn't cut it. Remember the veggies---in the wild greys don't eat pellets. There are no pellet trees. Ask the vet about pre weaning, weaning and post weaning. One of the biggest problems that people have is introducing solid food at such a young age. They have no muscle and jaw strength developed yet.

• 2 weeks later...