NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello from Georgia

Hello my name is Madi and I'm very interested in finding a grey to be my baby :D

I had a tiel named Chief who was my best friend growing up, I had him for 10 years.

He passed a couple of years ago and I was really devastated. I've never bonded with another animal like I have birds.

I'm ready for another baby and have decided on a CAG after creeping on the forums for a few months and doing a lot of research on all different kinds of parrots.

So I just thought I would join the forums so when I do find my Grey I can post and chat with fellow bird people. :)

Also I'm searching so if anyone knows of any Greys in GA who need rehoming let me know, please!

Hello my name is Madi and I'm very interested in finding a grey to be my baby :D

I had a tiel named Chief who was my best friend growing up, I had him for 10 years.

He passed a couple of years ago and I was really devastated. I've never bonded with another animal like I have birds.

I'm ready for another baby and have decided on a CAG after creeping on the forums for a few months and doing a lot of research on all different kinds of parrots.

So I just thought I would join the forums so when I do find my Grey I can post and chat with fellow bird people. :)

Also I'm searching so if anyone knows of any Greys in GA who need rehoming let me know, please!

Welcome to our board. I know there's a grey out there just waiting for you. It's a bit difficult to recommend one particular person who has a bird up for adoption. But an alternative is to try to contact different adopton centers in your state. They have greys and other species. Your big advantage is that you're willing to get a rehomed grey. The only inconvinence may be the traveling to get to one. These are 2 in Georgia but I know that there's more in Ga. Also know that all reputable rescue centers do charge a fee when taking in a bird. That goes for dogs, cats and most other rescue centers. You may even run into some people here who live in Ga.

http://www.parrotvillage.org/donate/

http://www.adoptapet.com/s/parrot-adoption

Edited by Dave007

Thank you! I've contacted Miss Vickie's about coming to look at some of the Greys but she is going through some renovations and can't see me at the moment.

But I am going to a bird convention here in town soon, so hopefully I can find someone there who knows of a bird in need of a home! :)

Hello Madi and welcome to the forums!

There is so much information available to you on this forum so hopefully you'll find everything you need. If not, everyone is always very helpful and eager to answer any questions you might have.

Good luck in your hunt for a grey. Do keep us up to date!

Thank you! I've contacted Miss Vickie's about coming to look at some of the Greys but she is going through some renovations and can't see me at the moment.

But I am going to a bird convention here in town soon, so hopefully I can find someone there who knows of a bird in need of a home! :)

That's funny because I actually heard about Miss Vickie. She's pretty cool. She always makes sure that people coming over are basically sane. She's one of the rescue/adoption centers I'm familiar with in Georgia. A breeder who I know in MO met her.

She's great from what I've heard. She's just taken in 41 new birds from another local rescue (that maybe closing)

so she'll probably take a minute to get them all situated before she lets anyone come and play or adopt.

But I'm looking forward to meeting her and all the new babies!

Hi Madi and welcome to the grey forum.

I also have had cockatiels for around 45 years and I love them with all my heart as I do my grey Corky.

Good luck in your adventure in finding a grey companion to share your life with.

• Haha 1

I do have a question though, do you think this cage is big enough?

0407151835.jpg

I put a bottle of cage wipes in there for a size reference. ( They are about the size of lysol kitchen wipes)

and the door behind it should help with seeing the size.

Sorry for the weird shot it's in our garage at the moment.

Welcome aboard glad to hear you are doing the research to make this decision a happy one and very nice that you are wanting a rescue Grey. The cage bars may not be sturdy enough to hold up for very long on that model. I have one that my Tiels and Keets share. The larger beaked bird can bend those narrow bars fairly easily.

Thank you! I was looking at a few other cages but I'm hoping this one can stand up to the beak for a couple months, haha.

Would you have any cages to recommend aside from Kings? Don't want to have to lug that monster up all of the stairs

I've read some bad reviews on a couple different brands and when I get a new one I definitely want it to last! :)

I do have a question though, do you think this cage is big enough

I put a bottle of cage wipes in there for a size reference. ( They are about the size of lysol kitchen wipes)

and the door behind it should help with seeing the size.

Sorry for the weird shot it's in our garage at the moment.

Basically, a cage for a grey should be approx. 55in( without stand) to 66 (with stand)in height. It should be 26 to 28 in depth. It should be approx. 33 in wide. I believe a flat roof is a pretty good one because greys love to walk upside down in the roof. A rounded cage is also perfectly fine. The bar spacing should be 3/4 in to 1 in wide. Powder coated cages are the standard today. They can be purchased online or from manufqcturers but getting one from Ebay or Amazon is much less expensive even though it's the same cage as pet shops offer. This pic should give you an idea how much space should be around a grey.

10_1.jpg

PS---check out the other rooms here. There's lots of info on them and many of your questions will be seen by much more people who will respond.

Edited by Dave007

Thank you, I will have to measure it when I get home and get back to you! :-)

EDIT: The cage is just a tiny bit smaller than your recommended measurements so I will need to get a new one when the time comes, but that's no big deal.

Edited by Madi

Welcome Madi. A Grey's cage should be large enough for them to completely open their wings without touching any bars. Then you try to leave them space to do that without hitting a toy! LOL Yes, your cage should last a couple of months maybe a bit longer if your Grey isn't a cage chewer. What made you decide on a CAG instead of a TAG?

Thank you :)

I will be looking for another cage when the time comes, if I am able to adopt from Miss Vicki's she supplies the cage as well, which would be great.

I think they are both beautiful, it seems as if there are much more Congos down here up for adoption than Timnehs, so I suppose that's why. I'm not picky though! haha