NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

loss of Zoey

kins2321@yahoo.com

Thanks! I think that everyone is use to me taking in many animals that need a home...they are worried. I am down to Sophie and Ollie. We are all good! I have NOT recovered from the loss of Zoey, even though its been a year.I am having difficulty, opening up my heart to someone new! My friends and family don't understand. Nancy

Your friends and family mean well and are encouraging you with the best intentions. Be kind to yourself and take this time to nurture and be kind to Nancy. You have endured a lot of losses over the past couple of years. It comes at the time when you are successfully launching your kids (no hurry, all in good time). My point is, there are too many changes and emotions going on at the same time. You know yourself better than any other soul on earth. Follow your heart. You may be ready for a major, well planned renaissance to fill the lull between children and grandchildren.

Nancy, grief can come like a flood and surprise us even after a year. It is only a testament to the love and connection you had with Zoey. I can still get teary over the loss of beloved companions many years gone. Allow your heart to heal at its pace. Know that we really do understand how you feel and support you in this time.

It was helpful to hear from my bird trimmer, that knew all my animals! He totally understood, no more pups! Ollie is doing just fine, and Sophie always keeps him busy. When I told him I had lost Sunny, I could tell he had something to say. I told him to " just say it!" He did. He told me that Sophie was going to need a " friend" in her birdroom. She is WAY to social, and Ollie was not going to be enough! I will listen and be open to finding Sophie a friend. Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

The decision is final.... no new pups or birds. I thought long and hard about it. I don't want to " outlive any new animals." Ollie, probably won't outlive me... but Sophie probably will! I have a plan for her with friends... I thought Sean should take her, but Ryan wants her! ( she is bonded mostly with Ryan). I felt Sean would be more responsible... but he has plans to get his masters and doctorate in Germany. Ryan is " insulted ", that I would EVER consider anyone outside of him. ( I am concerned how he can provide for her). Nancy

Good well thought out decision. I wouldn't worry about Ryan, he has seen and grown up with the care and costs..his maturity will change and I am sure you raised him properly. He will step up to the plate when the time comes. Lots can change with our kids as the years go on....there is plenty of time..don't worrry, if he is so bonded, he won't let her down.

Ryan is definitely bonded to Sophie since he was nine years old! Their bond is freaky! She can skype with him, and only see him once a year and they act like " it was just yesterday!" BUT...I need to be concerned, that if anything happens to me, my girlfriend will take care of Sophie, until Ryan is capable. My girlfriend, knows my expectations Nancy