NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

western red cedar for large parrot perches.

When I was at a birdshop today I saw a bunch of large perches for the resident Macaw that were made from 4x4 cedar. They had taken a vertical post and put a galvanized deck fastener to attach another one horizontally and did that a couple of times to create a pretty nice looking perch with a couple of levels to walk on. I thought that cedar was a wood to avoid with chewing parrots. The ends of the horizontal perches were chewed up pretty good so obviously that was their purpose. Does anyone else use kiln dried red cedar timbers for perches or other parrot related items/construction? If this is acceptable wood for parrots it would make my aviary plan much simpler.

"A couple of woods appear on safe lists that shouldn't or should be noted that there are problems with some species. Redwood has long been associated with rashes and the dust with lung and eye disorders. It contains high levels of volatile oils that are known toxins. Further exposure is believed to suppress the immune system...

Cedar occasionally appears on safe lists. If Cedar is to be used, Red cedar should be avoided for the same reasons as redwood. Yellow and Sitka Cedar may be safe though."

http://www.birdsafe.com/woods.htm

Galvanizing is something to avoid as well. Galvanized & zinc plated are the same. Zinc is a heavy metal that birds can't get out of their systems. Stainless or nickel plated fittings are okay, though.