NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cargo Net: Help!

I'm anticipating bringing home a baby grey this summer, and so while I wait, I've been brainstorming toy and activity ideas.

I have two green cheek conures and a cockatiel who all love to climb, so I've decided that I'd love to try my hand at making a cargo net. Ideally I'd love to be able to make it the correct size so that the grey and my existing flock can all use it at various times. I plan to be very careful about letting them all interact together, but I'd like my grey to feel comfortable on it and use it safely if he would like.

...But I have a problem! What thickness of rope would be appropriate for a congo african grey? The largest size in both sisal and supreme cotton rope that I've been able to find is 1/2". Is that too small for those big grey feets? I don't feel comfortable with using poly ropes, unless someone knows of a monster-safe brand. My little guys are very sure-footed and confident enough to use larger diameter ropes with ease.

I'd planned to make it about 3x4 feet, with maybe 7" squares. So I'll be needing a lot of rope haha.

...Should I just phone it in and save up for a premade parrot cargo net?

What about PVC pipe thickness? I have a 1/2" pipe stand that I made for my little guys. Would a grey need thicker pipe to be comfortable?

• 4 weeks later...

I think the 1/2" Supreme would be fine. That's what I use for Dorians swing and he hangs off it and sits on it with no problem. Plus, the knots would be bigger and give him something larger to hang on to if the rope was bugging him. Although I wouldn't put in a 1/2" perch in a cage as a main perch, for playing on it should be fine.