NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Adoption Question

Talon

My oldest son who was originally Talon's owner.....is hopefully, if all goes well will be adopting a 15 yr old CAG from a seemingly very loving and devoted owner. The reason she is letting him go is her fiancé has developed a long term respatory illness and the bird makes it much worse. She is of course quite concerned and picky as to who her bird will go to. She if letting the cage, food, tons of toys, a playstand and everything this bird loves to go with it. She has been very detailed as to the routine, likes and dislikes about the bird etc. We will know more on Friday when she meets my son, then IF she approves of him, he will meet her bird.

MY question is...what kind of paperwork should we ask for so my son has proof of ownership so she can't come back and say differently down the road...or is this something I shouldn't worry about. I never got an adoption paperwork when I adopted Rikki, but I do have her original paperwork when she was purchased from a pet store earlier in her life.

I would wait and see if he and bird are a match first. There are many contract forms available free on line you can look at and see if any of them fit this situation. I would think if you have emails between them, printing them out where the surrender is mentioned that should cover it.

Is this a possible case where you may suspect the lady may want her bird back sometime in the future? This is just my opinion on how I would deal with it: if her marriage proposal should go south, as they sometimes do, and she's missing her bird, I'd be happy to reunite them. I can't stand the thought of a bird with nowhere to go but if there's a loving home, I have no problems letting them go.

I don't actually think the woman will change her mind once the bird is gone. That's not my concern. I was just thinking, what if it turns out she's a nut case and calls the police with some made up story. I just want my son to be protected if ever she tried to prove her ownership. This is a permanent situation, not a "keep my bird for a while to see if things work out'....

I like the idea of printing out the email correspondence so there is prrof she was looking to rehome the bird. That's what he said he would do..Thanks for the suggestion!

My oldest son who was originally Talon's owner.....is hopefully, if all goes well will be adopting a 15 yr old CAG from a seemingly very loving and devoted owner. The reason she is letting him go is her fiancé has developed a long term respatory illness and the bird makes it much worse. She is of course quite concerned and picky as to who her bird will go to. She if letting the cage, food, tons of toys, a playstand and everything this bird loves to go with it. She has been very detailed as to the routine, likes and dislikes about the bird etc. We will know more on Friday when she meets my son, then IF she approves of him, he will meet her bird.

MY question is...what kind of paperwork should we ask for so my son has proof of ownership so she can't come back and say differently down the road...or is this something I shouldn't worry about. I never got an adoption paperwork when I adopted Rikki, but I do have her original paperwork when she was purchased from a pet store earlier in her life.

Usually, adoption papers or set rules have to do with getting a bird from a legal rehoming establishment. They set the rules and then tell you that they have the right to visit in the near future to make sure that the bird is generally taken care of concerning abuse, living conditions. The standards of care don't have to be the way the bird was taken care of. As long as things are decent, the birds haven't been abused and are provided with decent living conditions, then the agreement is fair. To be more clear, the adopted bird doesn't have to in the exact envirornment as it was. If you take a bird that was allowed to fly around but you decide to keep the bird in a cage, that doesn't mean the new living conditions are bad, just different but all of that all has to do with getting a bird from a rehoming/adoption center.

Concerning your situation, the only thing that has to be done is to tell the person that the bird will properly be taken care of. If you feel like you wanna be more exact, that's up to you. You also have an advantage here---you own parrots, your son is familiar with parrots and knows the general idea of how to take care of a parrot. All of that info can be easily passed on to the person. Personally, I wouldn't sign anything that would allow a person to constantly visit. The person is giving the bird away. The person should be grateful that the bird is going to a person who knows about parrots. Your son isn't adopting from an official adoption/rehoming organization. They can set RULES and the person taking the bird would have to abide by them. If a person doesn't like those rules, then they would go somewhere else. Not so with a simple rehome situation between 2 people. Do what want but I wouldn't sign anything. Like I said, the person should be grateful that lots of time will be given to the bird by the new owner.

Talon

I take back everything I said in this thread. I had misread your post and was under the impression that that you were adopting the bird free of charge. I didn't know you were purchasing the bird. I was under the assumption that you personally knew this person.

Edited by Dave007

When we adopted Gilbert there was no paperwork, just correspondence from this forum. Just for peace of mind if I were doing it again, I would have a vet or humane society scan for a microchip. Also a vet visit would establish a paper trail and history in your son's name. I did consider adopting a red bellied parrot before we got our greys. That woman wanted me to sign a contract saying if I didn't feed the bird properly (purchased from her only) or if she deemed I wasn't taking care of the parrot to her satisfaction I would be required to return it to her or she would come get it at my expense. Not a chance would I sign something so vague to adopt from a stranger. I agree with Dave. Considering the time and care required to keep up with Gilbert, it was a gift of peace of mind to have a caring home for her. Once he meets her and she agrees to rehome to him, an email with details should be enough.

When I bought Inara off of Craigslist, I kept copies of the emails, and I drew up a Bill of Sale, complete with Inara's band number on it, price paid, and what was to come with her (i.e., cage, misc. toys, her original bill of sale from the breeder, her DNA cert, and any vet records). Talon, I also felt this was important. It gave me a good paper trail, with a copy to me and a copy to her former humans, and witnessed by a third party. Also for the large amount of cash that exchanged hands, I wanted a definite record of the transaction.

You could do something similar and if the woman is giving the bird away, you could call it a Transfer of Ownership. I'd be happy to message you a copy of what I had written up for Inara, and you could modify it any way you'd like. Just drop me a note, if you'd like a copy. I also felt it was important to have a good paper trail, because you never know when traveling if you need to provide proof of ownership, etc. At some point my husband and I would like to have a 2nd home out of the country, and I want Inara to easily be able to travel there with us. Proof of Ownership can be a wise thing to have.

I am not a lawyer -- but I did play a Legal Assistant not on TV, but in real life for years while putting myself through school. Documentation can be a good thing.

Edited by Inara

Here's the latest update, my son said they seemed to like him, but they had two other people they were meeting with, one was a 'bird trainer' coming to see the bird. They really wanted a companion for the bird, not a trainer...so they are going to get back to him, they were concerned because my son has an indoor/outdoor cat....Time will tell....

Talon.... maybe a good time to call the people, let them know you are the leader of a website for birds, and when ever he needs help, you will be there for him. Let them know how much your son is excited and give them a description of your sons talents, and why you think he would be a great parrent! We got Sophie after interviewing, having NO experience, several people applied.We only got her, because she loved us! ( what was she thinking!) LOL! I did a hand written agreement. " I, Nancy Hunt am paying 400.00 dollars, for Sophie, an African Grey, from .............. Date it, time it. Not sure it would hold up in a court of law, since getting it notorized would be better. Her daddy kept up with me for at least six months after we got her. He really just wanted the best home for her. Nancy

GREAT NEWS!!!!! My son hadn't heard from them, so I said email and ask them...so he did. And he got the word..he was the chosen one to get Oli. I hope he will come here to the rescue room for any support he may need. He was told Oli is very bonded to his owner and being 11 years old...it may take him a while to come around.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I am happy to announce..I just got home after going with my son to get his grey, Oli!! Oli climbed outof his travel cage and up into his cage and looked relieved. He is very quiet of course and just looking around taking everything in. I will see him again on Monday....being 11 years old, I am sure it will take some time for him to adjust, and my son understands that as well. I know he will be very patient with him and let Oli take the lead. My son is very good with his pets, so I am sure all will go well in time.