NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Confusing vet visit

Loco11

We just had our first appointment with the vet for Felony...all good news...she healthy as can be, weight is good. But she sat on my shoulder while we were talking(Felony..not the vet, lol) and the vet was like "you REALLY shouldn't allow her to be on your shoulder like that. The potential for severe injury is just too great." I don't know what to think. Has anyone else heard of birds causing severe facial injuries?

It's definitely a risk but so is jumping in the car to go get something at the store. You can mitigate that risk by knowing your bird but then our Greys are not 100% readable either. I completely trust my Grey but there are times when I can tell she is bitey and I won't allow her on me until she straightens out her attitude.

As for me, mine is a shoulder bird. I end up doing too much to have to balance a bird on one arm while doing all the stuff I get into. Mine are also cageless birds which means they go everywhere with me except out the door unless wearing a harness. If I end up with an extra notch in my nose or my ear or a hole in my lip, my bike racing habit has done a lot worse to me. My only real concern is my eye. I don't let her get near my eyes.

Some people, not just vets, would say you should never shoulder a parrot. Dave007 has said that putting your face next to a beak is like putting it next to a can opener. He's absolutely right, of course. But many of us are willing to take that risk, at least until they experience any real pain or blood loss. A fid's mood can change in a literal flash & it's hard to protect yourself from a shouldered bird who's scared or mad enough to bite you. It's pretty easy for either or both of you to get hurt.

Don't want to make you nervous because that will get you bitten, too. But you really should know that there is no such thing as teaching a bird to never bite. It can happen for too many reasons. It can happen even after they've been model citizens for years & years.

Me, I pick & choose. I only let the birds I trust most sit near my face, even like on the back of the couch behind my head. My Eclectus is as trustworthy as can be. My grey... no way!! lol

So, it's your call. You can teach Felony to sit in the crook of your arm, now, while it will be relatively easy or take the gamble & see how it goes.

Edited by birdhouse
  • Haha 1

All 3 of my fids are shouldered, I have never had a problem with any of them but you have to know your birds well and be able to read their body language, you have to have their trust in you as well as trusting them, if you feel comfortable with it then maybe its ok. That being said there are some birds that do nibble and bite the ears or other facial parts whenever they are on the shoulder then they shouldn't be allowed there, you will know if you have one that is but use your own judgment.

Neither of my greys are biters but I refer not to let them sit on my shoulder because I do not like poop down my back. They are both flighted and sit on my arm all the time but never on my shoulders. I also, do not let them close to my face as I like my eyes, nose and other facial parts and they are prey animals.

Bongo is the only grey i allow on my shoulder and he has turned and smacked me a few times but not bitten. I wear glasses so it is like a toys waiting to be played with and they will go for the ear piece. I tried once, and i stress once, to let Gabby on my shoulder and she reached around and grabbed the corner of my mouth and made a nice slice. (she doesn't like me to much anyway so having her there was at my own risk) I have gotten many ear bites from the cockatoos, who are no longer allowed anywhere near the face. Hubby on the other hand walks around with a grey on each shoulder. Point being, only you can decide if you should or shouldn't. You know your bird best, but remember if you should get bit, it really isn't the birds fault because you allowed that possibility.

My eyes are what I aim to protect, not so concerned about the Greys as I know who does and does not want to remove tissue for DNA study. The Too's as much as I love them are not shoulder birds for me. Fred fred is such a sweet heart but he is a Too and a Sulfer Crested at that so can be hypervigilant he is usually relaxed when with me but still face is off limit.

I love my Dorian with all my heart, but he is too nervous to be trusted on my shoulder. I don't think he'd really bite in anger, but if something startled him he'd absolutely try to find something to hold onto for security. When he first started to perch on my hand he'd persistently try to climb up to my shoulder. I had to be more stubborn than him in not allowing it. It took some work and consistency but now he doesn't even try to climb up.

I agree - you never should allow a parrot on your shoulders! LOL look at my avatar. Seriously, you have to know your bird and decide for yourself if and when they are allowed there. Peanut also likes my left shoulder best. Wonder if it has to do with anything about them or just a thing they picked one day. Peanut also likes to sit on my head, especially when I am on the computer. From there he can lean down and pick my glasses off my head! This has become a game and he knows he is only allowed to do this with my computer glasses.