NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What would you say to your grey?

Acappella

If you could 'talk' to your grey and have a few moments of perfect understanding between you what would you say? Here's a 'letter' to Dorian.

Dear Dorian,

First, I love you and I'm so glad you live with me and the kitty cat. Having said that, I have a few things to say.

Why do you dunk all the yellow pellets from your seed mix. You don't eat them so I know you're not just trying to soften them up. Why don't you just toss them? I know you know how to toss food because, hello, have you seen your room?! You're making your water gross and I worry about it when I have to be away for the day knowing you don't have fresh water. You're supposed to be smart. Please cut it out.

Y'know how you like being on the desk? Y'know how you hate it when I pick you up and put you back in your home? Well, you have the power to stop that. When you hear me telling you you have bad desk manners, that's a clue that I'm about to run out of patience. Take the hint.

When you ask someone "Whatchadoing it's polite to wait for an answer. FYI

When I take you outside it's a good thing. The small cage is not your enemy. We live in Canada bud. Take your outdoor time when you can like the rest of us.

On a related note, I'm sorry you're scared when I have to put you in the small cage and take you in the scary car to the scary people who put you in a towel. Sometimes your beak and feets need someone to take care of them. Thank you for not holding a grudge against me when I have to do this. Also, when I go away to visit Toronto please don't bite the Shannon girl. She has your food. You're supposed to be smart dude.

Again, I love you lots. You don't have to prove you loves me by trying to feed me every morning. I'd rather have a good old fashioned scritching session, if that's ok with you.

Well, that's what I've got. You may now return to your random destruction and littering of our home.

Love,

Mommy

Edited by Acappella

Haaa - cool thread, I can definitely weigh in:

----------------------

Dear GreycieMae -

We love you to bits. You realize I busted my butt for close to over 100 hours now building you an aviary because I worried about you being stuck in a bird room, much less a cage like a lot of other Greys have to deal with. So cut me some slack and please address the following issues:

- You really screwed the pooch when you decided Toby was your mortal enemy. You can share Daddy with him, he won't become top birdy just because he gets a little wrestle time with Daddy. Caiques have forever memories when it comes to friend or foe. You put yourself in the latter camp and now you must deal with it. The only place you have him beat is in the air - and that's just barely. He is 1000 times quicker than you and is a Caiquey Jiu Jitsu Master Blackbelt on the ropes/perches/cages - basically anywhere he can get keep his feet grounded. Stop trying to attack him, he has you beat and will win 101 times out of 100. Please try and make nice-nice with him, he may forgive and forget but I doubt it.

- Speaking of the aviary, it is not 100% yours. Yes I did build it primarily with you in mind, but I made it big enough for your two siblings. Please stop trying to kick them out, they cannot get out - this is by design.

- When we serve a meal, and set a place for you and it contains the exact same thing as what is on our plates, please use your manners and stay on your own food.

- Stop pulling feathers out of Rio's forehead. He's a very gentle soul and never provokes you, like Toby will sometimes do (your own fault of course). All he wants to do is sit in his space and chew on his toys and play with his things. Stop bullying him. See point #1 about how you screwed the pooch with Toby. Rio is more forgiving however he has a hydraulic beak that rivals anyone else's beak in the house. He can clamp down with the power of a vice and won't let go until your appendage is bloody and possibly detached. Be warned when screwing with Rio and don't make me say I told you so.

- The ceiling fans are not your personal merry-go-round. We bought specialty ceiling fans that move slowly so as not to injure our flying babies. This does not mean you are now allowed to land on the blades and try to hold on for a few rounds all the while taking gouges out of the nice wood. This has to stop.

- And lastly your annoying screech you've learned from Toby. I hate it. Please stop.

- Oh, one more thing - Night Night time. You get the privilege of staying up an extra hour after the two littles go to bed. We've noticed you really enjoy this as it becomes GreycieMae special time and you give Daddy lots of attention and love. But when it's time for you to go to bed, stop making me chase you all over the house. Also, when I do finally get you to step-up and we are in the bird room, stop crawling inside my shirt and doing your death grip so it takes me 5 minutes to get you peeled off of me so I can put you to bed. It's the same thing every night - hugs - kisses - sweet nuffins and I'll see you in the morning like clockwork. We don't need all the extras.

Mmmmkkkthnkkss - Mommy and Daddy

Great thread.

I would say to Ana Grey (7) my TAG. I am certainly glad you are such a great flyer, BUT when you hid and do not answer or come when I call you, I get a little, okay a lot, exasperated. Hunting you down and then watching you grin, oh yes, you are grinning, I can tell, when I do finally get you!!!! Other than that you are a perfect little lady you step up beautifully and go back into your cage with no problems. I do wish you would talk again, oh you do ask for nuts but that is about all. Is it because Sterling never shuts up?

Sterling Gris, (4) my CAG. You are a great talker and flyer. You eat just about anything and alot. You do not like to go back into your cage and I do have to threaten and hunt you down to get you back into your cage, but you are a great birdy.

Both of you are respectful of my sleep time and do not make a racket until you hear me up. Thank you for only chewing on your toys and not my furniture. I could not ask for two better greys.

Love this thread! Great idea.

Dear Miss Gilbert,

You are okay. You have lived here for more than three and a half years. I have never eaten your food or stolen from your cage. Please stop trying to chase me out. I am not leaving, you are not leaving and you are okay. Please stop cussing. I mean it. It's not funny, I don't care what your beloved David has led you to believe. Lastly, this is a big house, I am going to be out of your sight. You are okay. If you would come with me when I leave the room you could see me more hours of your day. Quit being a perch potato and come find me. You are okay. Try new food, get out a little, get some exercise. You are okay. Oh, yes, I love you whether you like it or not. You really are okay. Love, LuLu

I would tell Talon...I am sorry you are not the only bird in my house. I see now that you prefer it that way, and I am sorry you are lowest in the flock & sometimes get chased off my shoulder or the table at meal times by the other bigger birds. I am sorry you have very little one on one time with me as the others don't allow it....but I love your antics and you are such a comedian....your determination to go exactly where you want to IN my cupboards to get your bird dander all over my clean dishes & glasses...I love when I pick you up from a forbidden cupboard or ask you what you are doing how you say.."what?". You are very precious to me & I love you ..I do wonder why when you do want a cuddle, you allow me 2 pats on the head then you squeak and bite me!! I often wonder if you would be more happy with my oldest son who had you first..but I don't trust him to give you the best care you can get...so you are stuck with me and my 2 bully birds....sorry...but I can't give you up ever!

To Rikki....you had a rough start in your life going from home to home 4 times in such a short time. I used to get mad at you.....destroying my doors & woodwork in my new house...but I now realize it was your frustration in not understanding this was your forever home. I wish I had know that then, instead of getting mad and so frustrated I considered trimming your wings....but it took so long for you to finally grow them and to learn to fly at my house that I never had the heart.... even tho it took you 2 1/2 years to settle in....you have turned into the sweetest grey ever! I had no idea you would be so precious...you were a handful in the beginning for sure! NO ONE TRIED MY PATIENCE LIKE YOU DID! But You are so well behaved now, and so sweet. You never give me a hard time....except when you do manage to get into the bathroom and pull the draws on the vanity open and manage to empty every one, 1 object at a time onto the floor...it usually takes about 3 draws before I hear you and catch you in the act! Guess you like your décor better than mine! Oh and I apologize that you despise the pattern on my plates & dishes and you feel the need to throw them onto the floor every chance you get to get rid of them....and I DO get that you see no need for silverware as I am not allowed to use it anytime you are stealing food off my plate, I see you prefer those to be on the floor as a rug perhaps as well. I enjoy our nighttime cuddles and how I can put you to sleep just by lightly rubbing your head and back until you doze off.....you are a wonderful member of my flock and I love & adore you.

To Nilah....wow...you are something extra special...you have given me a love that I never thought possible with any bird...what a bond we have! You sure have given me a battle of wills at times in the past...you are as headstrong as any amazon out there.....but seeing as I hung in there and never gave up...we seem to have come to an understanding....the more I allow you to be with me and just be on my shoulder as I go about things, the happier and closer we have become....we are in separable. I see how content it makes you just to be hanging out with me. You have shown me that a bond with an amazon is so different than any bond I have with any of my pets, cats, dogs, horses, birds...it is something that I can never find the right words for to make anyone understand...you just have to have an amazon to experience what it's like...I can't see my life without you ever. I hope when the day comes as I am waiting for you at the rainbow bridge...you will find another bond like we share here, until the day I will see you again. You are full of personality and there is never a dull moment in our house. I DO wish you would behave when others come into our house so I can let you out like I can with Talon & Rikki..but you feel the need to either attack my visitors or claim them as YOURS and attack me if I tried to take you off of them...please work on that behavior my precious one...I love you for who you are in spite of yourself.

Edited by Talon

To Miss Marco

I am so very happy that you are part of our family, we love you so very much. I would greatly appreciate it if you didnt eat mommys window sill :mad: when I step outside without you. Please dont eat the shelf that you know you arent sposed to be on either :mad:. Thank you for feeding the dogs from the top of your cage:rolleyes: they greatly appreciate you helping them out. Thank you for learning all the nawty cuss words the boys taught you so quickly but we still cant say mommy:rolleyes:. Thank you for helping redecorate the walls and floor with food and scraps of papers you have decided you no longer needed:rolleyes:. Thank you for taking a bath in only the fresh water bowl I put in your cage every night and have to promptly change again:rolleyes:. Thank you for eating the first 3 shower curtain hangers while perched atop of the shower rod as the curtain fell open while mommy was "ahem" you know :o. But mostly thank you for the countless smiles, pictures, giggles and videos and for being so very special in my heart.:o

- Oh, one more thing - Night Night time. You get the privilege of staying up an extra hour after the two littles go to bed. We've noticed you really enjoy this as it becomes GreycieMae special time and you give Daddy lots of attention and love. But when it's time for you to go to bed, stop making me chase you all over the house. Also, when I do finally get you to step-up and we are in the bird room, stop crawling inside my shirt and doing your death grip so it takes me 5 minutes to get you peeled off of me so I can put you to bed. It's the same thing every night - hugs - kisses - sweet nuffins and I'll see you in the morning like clockwork. We don't need all the extras.

THAT is so adorable. I hope Peck someday gets to that point. He's now letting me gently give head scritches. Sometimes he makes his "I'm scared, don't hurt me" 'chip' sound, but mostly he's been making this purring kind of sound. The trust is coming. Slowly. I can't wait for the time when he will step up on ME and not the stick.

It's odd, anything I might have to say to him, I do. I speak to him just like he's human, and I swear he understands.

Most of the time it goes something like this:

"You know I love you. I want you to trust me. This trust thing has to go both ways. Every time you bite, it makes it hard for me to trust you. I would never bite you or hurt you in any way. Please learn to be gentle and learn to trust me, and I will be gentle with you and learn to trust you. I see the jealousy in your eyes when Jack is on my shoulder. I have two shoulders, you know. One could be yours. Maybe someday it will be. Just remember I love you. That's the most important thing."

Dear Phenix,

Finally!! After all these years, the chance to convince you that your world really is pretty okay.

For starters, you need to believe that you have been loved since the very first time I laid eyes on you. Even after that ended w/us both dripping blood all over the floor (& just let's not forget who started that...!!).

You are without a doubt a force of nature w/all the fiercely proud beauty that implies. Just sometimes. it gets in the way of making friends & having some really good adventures. You're really missing out, little dude & it just makes me really sad sometimes. "All" you need is to embrace the fact that I'm not letting anyone or anything anywhere near you unless they're fully compliant w/the Phenix Enrichment Experience.

No matter what you think, that also includes your little green flockmate w/the big, big personality. You could do worse than to imitate Charm once in a while, you know. Not necessarily at that same decibel level, maybe. But the occasional silly antic wouldn't kill you & heaven forbid, you might even enjoy it. I'll even promise not to take pictures (... she said w/all her fingers crossed).

Not to sound too needy or anything, but a few more warm fuzzies would be awesome, too. Maybe act like I'm more than just okay for a human. Yeah, that body language when I snuggle w/anyone else so-o-o gives you away. Especially when it's Kura.

And speaking of Kura, isn't it way past time you two sat down for a nice long preening session? We both know how often you imitate her. You know you think she's awesome & it really is time you got a friend your own size. BFFs w/the dog is all well & good & everything, but...

Whatever else though, I hope you know you're one of my heroes. My little grey bird w/the incredible heart. So close to getting lost forever, yet somehow, you made it all the way back to where you are today.

Even though in your heart of hearts you still believe that the world is such a sinister place, you've continued to grow & change & conquer in the most stunning ways. Just so you know; I'm your biggest fan.

And I remain as I have been for the past 25 yrs,

Your humble servant & life-long devotee.

To my dearest babies,

Bongo, my first, I love you with all my heart. I love you helping me with meals and how you fly to my shoulder when you see me come in the room. You are my special little boy and nothing will change that! Please stop picking at your feathers, it is breaking my heart to see you do this to yourself.

Oliver, my second boy. You came to us near death and now you are independent and just a joy. I am sorry your wing is bad and you can not fly like the rest, but with daddy help you get to soar with the best of them! I love you!

Bubba, our third. You came to us because we were told your first family had an illness and couldn't give you the time you needed. Turns out you had your own medical issues that we are working through. You are such a winner in my eyes and with that, please stop calling me ptthhhh. You can say so many things, why not my name or even someone elses would be okay, but a fart noise as a name is embarrassing. I love!

Gabby, our fourth little gift. You despised me at first but have come to accept me as your transportation, thank you for that. I love how you help me with the dog dinners, if only you would understand that we don't mix the wet and dry food by tossing them on the floor, we like to keep the bowls on the counter and mix them with a spoon. Your creepy old man hello that your whisper in my ear when I am changing your cage papers has become second nature to us now but I remember the first few times you did that to me knocking me on my butt in fear, good times! Love you my Gabby goo!

Gus, the first of our U2's. Gus, Gus, Gus. What can I say to you. You pulled my heart strings when I heard you had been locked in your cage for years so you came here and hugged me and loved me like no other so I made the mistake of spoiling you by letting you out all the time and being on my shoulder when the times were right. After a lot of blood loss, we had to change that and now you won't accept I am doing this for your own good. Please stop the screaming, you are very loved and we would love to show that to you!

Cotay, STOP BITING ME PLEASE.

Lilly, I saw you years before your moved in and the day our eyes met, I fell in love with you. You are just so precious and good natured for a U2. I can do whatever I want to you and you take it in stride. Please stay on your stand and stop jumping off of it so you can stay with us in the big room and not have to go to your room. When you go to your room you scream and give me a blasting headache. I know you just want out to roam the floor and use my Chihuahua's a toss toys but for everyones safety we can't let that happen.

Koko, you came to us full of life and have proven to be one of the best older U2's I have met. You sing so bad it makes me smile. You dance like no one is looking but I am and I love every head spin you do!

Chacho, aka Albert. It took several months before you got to move in with us. From the moment you said "Albert's freaking out, Let Albert out" during the surrender, I knew we belonged together. I know you didn't like the lady who took you and you proved that by doing your flying attacks on her so she called me up and told me to come get you. The first time I saw you, you let me pet you through that cage and hold your little stubby talon. On the ride home, we bonded more over a French fry. Now you try feeding me, I love that you love me. but please know your already processed food all over my face because I move my head around to keep it form going in my mouth, is a sweet gesture but ewww. Also, daddy loves you and you should really stop dive bombing him with the thought of killing him. When you learn to accept him, you will get to come out and play with the rest, but until then you have to stay in your room when the rest are out. You are my sunshine baby boy!

Today may be a hard day for you all as yet another may be moving in. Ixta is a sweet grey who has had a tough life. She watched her brother die after a macaw attack and then had to live in that same cage with the blood remnants, unable to come out for years. She pines for a change of life and we have offered it to her. She looks like all of you, featherless, so please welcome her into your flock as only a group like yourselves could do.

You are my band of misfits, and I love each of you with all of my heart!

Lisa

I would tell Isaac what I always tell him. He gets an, "I Love You Boy!" at least 100 times a day. I'd talk to him and thank him for living with me.

"I love you my best friend. Thank you for always being the light in my day when I walk through the door after work. Greeting me with that, "Hi litttah boooooooyee" is about all I need to bring my life state to a great high. Thank you for gracing my shoulder with your curious little self. I hope you love all the cups that I give you to play with and appreciate the household items that I end up surrendering to your curious whims. I hope that your cage is cozy enough and that I keep it interesting enough for you. I hope you like our dinners together. Thank you for letting me kiss you on top of that cute little head of yours.

One last thing my little friend. Can you please tell me what I can do help you not chop your feathers off? I would do anything to help you my sweet boy.

My house is yours my grey little angel. May you live long and fly a lot. My heart is bound to you and I will love you forever.

Then I would touch my nose to his beak like I do.

Edited by Elvenking

Sophie here. I just wanted to tell Rom ( mom), what I was feeling recently! You found me a new friend, I LIKED her! When you told me you were going away..... you saw my eyes pinning... told jessica " excuse us!" You and I went into another room where we had a discussion you were leaving for a week! I NEVER agreed to that! I get it! You better call me everyday and skype! I promise NOT to pull out that earring in her lip, because I know you won't be happy with me. Sophie