NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Well water? Any health risks?

I think that the only way to know that is to have your well water tested as they are all different. If you are drinking it with no problems then it should be ok. If you use a good water filter there should be no worries. My house has city water but I have an artesian well in the yard. Personally I would not use it for my birds because it has a lot of sulfur and tested for ammonia.

I have lived in the country all my life and have owned 4 homes all with wells.

I have had parrots for over 43 years and they all drank well water.

In the wild they drink from ponds, rivers and puddles. I would be concerned more with city water.

I agree with you. At my house I have a pretty good filter. One of my things in my head is being suspicious of things that are consumed, I'm always thinking about what's in or on it.

Years ago, one time when I went to visit my mom in Minnesota and then my niece in Wisconsin I drank from both of their wells all week. When I came home and turned the faucet on (city water) it smelled like poison to me. From then on I used a good house water filter.

Edited by 2birds

My sister's well water tastes great, but she also has a water softener that uses salt. That's one thing I would look out for since salt is not good for parrots. But in general, well water quality and purity is based on where you live and other environmental factors. Another family member has a water well, fifteen miles from my sister and there is a strong odor and heavy mineral content so they can only use it for cleaning and carry water for drinking.