NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

GreycieMae's Aviary

SRSeedBurners

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took today off to try and finish the safety cage and the ground dig wire. It's safe enough to put the babies in while I work, so I'll have lots of GreycieMae supervision. She helped me last time with the J-clips all along the back side. What a helper.

This morning was their first sunrise in the aviary. GreycieMae loved it. She started playing and doing her happy sounds. Makes all the work worth it...

GoodMorning%20(1)%20(Medium).JPG

GoodMorning%20(3)%20(Medium).JPG

GoodMorning%20(8)%20(Medium).JPG

Baby Rio is not a fan of the outside. He was born to be a mama's birdy and just wants to be inside with mother.

GoodMorning%20(5)%20(Medium).JPG

Edited by SterlingSL

Well, GreycieMae and her two siblings stayed in the aviary till around 3:30pm. She was a happy bird the whole time. One reaction from her I didn't expect - she got really standoff-ish with me inside the aviary after being in there for a few hours. I think she was getting possessive of the aviary. She sort of reminded me of a wild Grey The way she would move around obstacles to keep me from getting her.

Rio finally warmed up to the idea and was happily sitting on the boing practicing his words. I can't believe my talker in the family is a Jardines. Although Greycie went through all of her words too and probably said "I love you" around 500 times.

Something else I noticed the other night when I had them out there for just a couple hours, the aviary wears them out. They are really active out there but more than that I think it's the fact that they are on a higher level of alert with the great big blue surrounding them. They seem to really go after the food too when I fed them a few times rather than their typical household routine of just throwing crap everywhere and eating next-to-nothing.

Didn't get much done...more work tomorrow. My exterior gate is on hold trying to find some hinges that will accomodate the 2x3s I bought to make it.

This project is just like the projects I do at work: I think I can do a certain task in 6 hours, it will take 12 - at least.

Safety cage concrete pylons buried, all railings in place. Cage door remains which I figured I would have completed and installed along with the safety cage wire.

You can see all three of my little helpers in the upper right of the photo. Also notice how the winter rye is springing out of the ground. I need to hit the bare patches again in there where I had to bury the original seed and killed it.

SafetyCage%20(Medium).JPG

The neighbor that can see the aviary commented that she loves it. She can hear GreycieMae doing her vibrato and her happy noises along with a few screeches and squawks. She a former parront. Not sure what happened to her bird.

Some pics and a video from this weekend. I had the camera and camcorder ready in case I could get a good pic. Can you believe, the aviary is still_not_done_....

Toby and GreycieMae in the background. Rio is in the basket - you just can't see him.

PlayDay%20(1)%20(Medium).JPG

Look carefully and you'll see Rio...

PlayDay%20(4)%20(Medium).JPG

Not to hard to see him when I cheat and take a picture over the edge!

PlayDay%20(5)%20(Medium).JPG

They love the basket and the SS bowls with toys in them

PlayDay%20(2)%20(Medium).JPG

GreycieMae with hers...

PlayDay%20(3)%20(Medium).JPG

Toby and Rio have become little play buddies, although I have to watch Toby as he'll lose his head once in a while.

PlayDay(11)%20(Medium).JPG

PlayDay(9)%20(Medium).JPG

GreycieMae preening right before she gets down and helps Daddy with the safety cage...

PlayDay%20(8)%20(Medium).JPG

PlayDay(15)%20(Medium).JPG

And a ~3m video...

[video=youtube_share;tg3YlPR_LdY]

That video is beautiful. Both my parrots are imitating a whistle from one of yours. I could not believe the magic of seeing Rio when you mentioned him blending in. You have a beautiful aviary. The devotion of you and your wife to your parrots is an inspiration. You have me wondering where is the best spot to install an aviary? At my house of course. I may need to find where you sourced your wire. Great job, well done and very creative.

As with all projects this one was under-budgeted, under-staffed and is currently over-schedule.

I'm not kidding either! This thing was supposed to take a weekend...or two. The Cockatoo rescue that uses these same structures makes it sound so easy. I'm 100% sure I could do the next one in about half the time as I know what I'm doing now. I wish I would have kept track of the time I've spent and the costs. I'm thinking we are approaching $1000 on the materials cost.

The Cockatoo Rescue that published the webpage which I'm following makes it sound pretty simple to set these up. But to their credit, they have a team of people, they buried the structure legs so as to use only one roll of wire, and the gates they built are simple PVC. I screwed myself by wanting this thing as tall as possible and mounting on concrete deck blocks buried just below ground. Plus I built a safety cage that could easily work as it's own outdoor aviary and two fancy wood gates. Now were laying some pretty white'ish rock that my wife found at a materials place around the outside on top of the dig wire. I have the feeling this project will never end. My wife wants to really purty it up and that means a lot of work for me :(

That video is beautiful. Both my parrots are imitating a whistle from one of yours. I could not believe the magic of seeing Rio when you mentioned him blending in. You have a beautiful aviary. The devotion of you and your wife to your parrots is an inspiration. You have me wondering where is the best spot to install an aviary? At my house of course. I may need to find where you sourced your wire. Great job, well done and very creative.

Definitely find some place level to start with. I spent at least three days hauling and shoveling 4 truck loads of Texas black clay by hand and leveling the pad site. Unless you have access to heavy equipment which I don't. I bought the wire from a local farm store in the area. I can ask him where he sourced it from, I'm sure he'll give me the info.