NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

talking

Sofabed

sorry me again, prob quite a stupid question but is it possible for my little man even though he is only 12 weeks to try to speak, we say things to him and a few seconds later he sounds like he is trying to say it. when we wer watching coronation street somebody knocked on the door and a second later her made a knocking sound exactly the same. we are sure he has tried to say hello. please take the mick if that is the stupidest question eva lol :blink: :S :whistle: :blush:

Contrary to popular belief, all greys do not talk, but most do, so give it a little time, my Josey did not start talking until she was near 1 year old. I'm sure in time yours will too, just keep talking to him and saying phrases and he will surprise you one day.

Yeah, I wouldn't be worried about him not talking until he is over a year old. Your grey is doing quite well for mimicing the knock at his age. There is always the chance that he won't talk but if he is already "trying" to say things it sounds like he is off on the right foot.

I've got a 3 year old CAG and she can only say about 10 words clearly. Don't get your heart on this bird having a phenomenal vocab I think this is why some parrots become throw away birds because they were bought in the first place so that they could speak, it may NEVER speak. Just love your bird as a companion, and if it talks, consider it an added bonus!

There are no stupid questions here - don't be shy! Klaus doesn't talk yet but makes some very cool sounds. One is like the sound of water dripping. He also whistles in two ways: One is the whistle we do when we someone who's cute :lol: - the other is the whistle we'd do to call a dog. He does them at appropriate times, too.

Your bird is probably very smart!

I say it's possible...We picked Harrison up from the breeder when she was 3 months old and she was saying a few phrases. She has always talked as far as I know. I just wish I started her "talking diary" earlier in her life so I could say when it was she really took off with her talking. She's almost 2 years old now and says a lot. She only has to hear something a few times before she says it.

Here's her talking diary and photo album...

http://imageevent.com/heatheranddenis/congoafricangrey<br><br>Post edited by: HeatherStrella, at: 2007/11/07 00:30

Guest briansmum

i agree with heather, i wouldn't say it was impossible. brian too has been trying to say things from a very young age and we got his first word at 5 months. (although he hasnt said much since)

don't expect anything and just make a fuss repeat to him whatever it is you think he's trying to say. try and focus on one thing.. hello or something. you never know. but as everyone said don't forget theres a chance he might only be "trying" forever. :)

I Was Watching TV B4 And Kenny Wanted Attention... He Definitely Said Hello:ohmy: ...Not Bad 4 12Weeks Eh:cheer:

I Heard Its Bad 2 Whistle 2 Them Because They Dont Learn 2 Speak As Its Easier 2 Whistle..Is This True?

~*~Sofabed~*~

My grey can hear thing once or twice and say them she's a great talker she just learned how to whisper its so cute make me laugh and my green cheeked conure could talk before he was weined he suprizes me daily for a little bird its amazing how many words and phrases he says. he will try to say anything you say to him and will practace til he can say it perfectly he can mimic so many sounds.

Pat

Izzie is going to be 5 months old this Friday, she does not speak, but she does make different noises. They are sooo cool but little weird. Could it be possible that when she lived at the breeder's place next to Macaws she picked up their noises?? :laugh: Because in the mornings she does sound like a Macaw B) And I don't expect her to speak, but it will be very nice. :whistle:

The only reason that whistling at a grey is bad is because with the grey, you have one of the greatest natural whistlers in the parrot kingdom. The last thing you should be working on is whistling at him. You're wasting your time. Take my word for--that day will come when he'll whistle the songs from stereos, TV, Cds etc. The bird doesn't even need an outside source to start them off. Ask others here who have older birds and let them tell you about what band they're thinking about putting their bird in. It's just a matter of what the yearly contract says and what tours are involved.<br><br>Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/11/12 21:33

When we first got our grey two years ago we taught him words first. He does whistle the bridge over the river kwai and he says "what's a whistle" and then whistles the typical "hey sexy" whistle. If we say what's a dog say, he barks...what's a horse say...he does the horse sound, etc etc. and if we ask him to count, he counts to 7 (skips the three for some reason)...sometimes he does say "ree"...but never three. He also says "no, stop it" when he does something wrong. In the morning he says good morning and goin' to work, be good, ill be right back... i love you...all in one big sentence. He is a riot.