NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello everyone. I am new here.

Hello. I am Lori and I am new here. I would like to thank everyone for their posts as they are very informative and I have learned a lot just scanning the posts. I look forward to learning a lot more!

Oops Sorry. I am also new to posting on forums. We are in the process of bringing home a beautiful baby girl. Maggie Mae is her name. We love her already and have been visiting her every weekend and spending 2-4 hours with her. She was born June 26 th. We are so anxious to bring her home but they are saying not until November. Is this standard procedure? We are first time owners and are reading everything we can to educate ourselves. I just purchased a big cage Kings 40x30x73. I read on several posts the bigger the better but then the breeder was trying to sell me a smaller cage saying that a grey needs just the right size 30x 24. What are some thoughts on this? I also have a sleep cage size is 22x24. I look forward to bringing her home and learning from this forum. Thank you in advance.

Welcome!! Congrats on your baby. You baby not coming home until November is, I assume, to make sure she is abundance weaned. That is, her weaning will go at her pace, not to hurry the sale. IF this is true you have a great breeder! The cage is fine, though I might use the smaller one for the first few weeks at her new home. She will need a variety of toys and at least three different perches. A good pellet, though some don't feel these are that important if you can feed a wide variety of fresh foods. Again welcome and some pictures would be wonderful!!

Thanks Brat Birds I guess I am just excited and want her home. I am looking forward to the bonding process. Yes, I have been collecting toys each week when I visit her as the breeder also has a store. Genius on the breeders part. Make the owners visit their parrot each week as much as you can for 6 months and see how much you spend at my store. Lol. I am teasing. I know she has good intentions and she really loves the babies and want them to go to good educated owners. Thanks again.

Hello and welcome to you and Maggie Mae! :) I'm glad to hear the breeder is keeping Maggie until she is old enough. Much better that way than sending home a baby who has needs you aren't experienced enough to care for properly. I know the waiting is hard, but from everything I've read here, that is the way to go. Good luck and God bless :)

Welcome Lori and Maggie Mae! What good fortune to find a breeder close enough to visit weekly while you watch Maggie Mae grow, change and get to know you a little at a time. We had a June baby five years ago and he came home in November but we were seven hours, one way, apart. I only got to see him once a month. You will learn how to feed her formula from a syringe just in case she needs a comfort feeding or medications later. You will learn what soothes her, how she likes to play and so much more. The great thing about the toy selection is your breeder will know the personality of Maggie's parents, clutch mates and greys in general. Getting her familiar and buying some toys to give her now will give you both a "jump start" when it's time to bring her home and set up her new home. One thing I would recommend is to loom into getting a harness. She is much more likely at this age to accept it, to tolerate you learning to put it on her. If you can take her outside with certainly she is safe on your shoulder, you will be off to a great head start.

Aww thank you so much. Yes, I feel fortunate to be able to visit her. I have been collecting toys and I would love to buy a harness as well. I have a screened gazebo and I plan on taking her in there for her to fly around in too (weather permitting) It is fairly large 10 ft x 24 ft and has a 10 ft roof on it. Thanks again.

Hello Lori and Maggie Mae, welcome to the forum. My name is Lori too. The time the breeder is keeping your baby sounds fine. Do you have pictures yet? I would love to see her.

Thank you. Yes, I have pictures that I took this weekend at my visit. As soon as I figure out how to post I will. I can't wait to show my little girl! :)

If you have photo bucket or make an account with them you can post your photos from there. As far as the cage size goes, I think that is fine as well. I just brought my baby home last week at seventeen weeks. Her cage is 30" x 42" x 72". At the beginning of the week she only utilized the top part of her cage and the outside play gym part but now she is starting to explore every part of it.

Edited by 2birds