NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Live food *~

Doronxl7

Hey guys, it's a weird question but I must ask to know better..

Can I feed my baby Congo grey 5 month old living food?

Like fish that I'll catch etc'? I know ants isn't good because they may have poison that have been sprayed on them.

Actually even turtles eat sometimes meat, when they find dead animal or something.. Every animal should eat meat in a while. I know she got her pellets but still, can I try and feed her with living fish that I'll catch on the freshwater lake? If I can and it isn't dangerous, how should I give it to her? The whole fish?

Hey guys, it's a weird question but I must ask to know better..

Can I feed my baby Congo grey 5 month old living food?

Like fish that I'll catch etc'? I know ants isn't good because they may have poison that have been sprayed on them.

Actually even turtles eat sometimes meat, when they find dead animal or something.. Every animal should eat meat in a while. I know she got her pellets but still, can I try and feed her with living fish that I'll catch on the freshwater lake? If I can and it isn't dangerous, how should I give it to her? The whole fish?

No, giving live uncooked meat, fish, poultry is very dangerous. All fish have mercury in their bodies and it can be toxic to greys or other parrots. *****Every animal should eat meat in a while*****. greys are seed, berry, insect scavengers. They don't eat dead or dying animals. Only vultures and other predatory birds do that.

They will sometimeseat cooked poultry such as chicken but as a rule they're more interested in the chicken bones than the actual chicken.

There I was thinking "mealy worms" & such whenever I read the title. lol I have seen my guys catch the occasional flying bug & eat it. In the wild it probably wouldn't be surprising if they munched the occasional grub since they're so big on tearing wood apart. But like Dave said, they aren't scavengers or carrion birds. In tame & boring Suburbia, those types of proteins tend to come from thoroughly cooked eggs &/or poultry bones. Although I have seen where some members also give their fids bits of tuna occasionally as well.

Some fish have parasites you would not want to give your bird live fish for this reason. Cooked Salmon or Tuna is safe if you want to give a little fish meat. I was thinking sprouted grains, legumes and nuts as live food and those are safe even excellent.

How about a little piece of cooked meat like steak once in awhile? Both of my greys love to fly to the plate when I bring in a steak from the grill, I don't put any seasoning or sauce on it until after they have pulled off a little piece and gone back to their cage with it.

• 6 months later...

Sophie eats boiled chicken all the time! Ollie my pup eats half a chicken breast 2.5 ounces as well as his dried dog food daily ( a long story why he eats chicken). Sophie brings him a peanut in the morning, he gives her a piece of chicken! She has eaten chicken forever. I guess they consider it a fair exchange I do watch her protein, push veggies. She is a great weight and her bloodwork is always good. Whats wrong with chicken? Nancy

Sophie eats boiled chicken all the time! Ollie my pup eats half a chicken breast 2.5 ounces as well as his dried dog food daily ( a long story why he eats chicken). Sophie brings him a peanut in the morning, he gives her a piece of chicken! She has eaten chicken forever. I guess they consider it a fair exchange I do watch her protein, push veggies. She is a great weight and her bloodwork is always good. Whats wrong with chicken? Nancy

Who says that chicken is wrong?? Maybe I missed something. Chicken baked or boiled is fine. No coating though. Most greys like the large bones in chicken wings that have marrow in them.