NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Agression/ hostility

Cinnyminis

We have two birds. Radar, age 22 months CAG, and Echo, age 14 months(orange wing amazon). Since we bought Echo home, they have never gotten along. Usually, the cages are on opposite sides of the room. Radar up until now has only been curious about Echo, but Echo wants nothing to do with Radar and screams when he gets near and tries to bite him. A month ago, I rearranged the furniture in the living room and the cages are now separated by 5 feet with a wooden buffet between the two. They seemed to be more curious about each other, getting closer and closer with no issues. Radar was able to preen echo's head (I was holding him and very vigilant), and echo preened Radar's tail feathers. They are usually out at the same time and avoid each other's cages. Radar is fully flighted at the moment and has started flying over to echo's cage. Because they usually fight, we usually get him back to his own cage immediately.

Last week, Radar started hopping onto the buffet and going towards Echo's cage. Echo would start screaming... One day, My 10 year old daughter was there and the birds were too close. Radar was lunging and hissing, Echo was screaming and posturing. Sarah started yelling at the birds and moving her hands wildly near them to get them to fly or move away. It only escalated the scene. Both birds were frightened but blame each other. Now, Radar hops on the buffet, scoots himself to Echo's cage, and starts hissing like a cat screaming NO NO. He is impossible to pick up, bites whoever comes near, and usually requires me grabbing him from behind to lock him back up. Yesterday,he stepped up just fine for me, but as I put him back on his cage, he lunged and bit my top lip, cutting it and likely leaving a scar. His aggression is spilling over into everything. He will be sweet one moment, and then start yelling NO or GO and bite my arm. We have not been yelling at him at all with the exception of the kid in the episode mentioned above, and the hostility started a few weeks before the cages were even moved and has just escalated.

I am aware now the cages are too close and will have to rearrange them to get the boys more distance between them. I am so frustrated with Radar and his hostility. I certainly do not want to be bitten on my face again! What can I do?

Beth

You've got a jealousy issue going on there. I only know because we have the exact same issue here. GreycieMae has not gotten along with our Caique since the day he arrived. They fluctuate in their hostility toward each other. It goes both ways with these two because Greycie has persisted on being a shit for so long that now Toby the Caique goes after her when he gets a chance. I've got some of the nastiest bites out of Greycie when she's showing aggression towards Toby. Greys can be very territorial over their people too.

We have two birds. Radar, age 22 months CAG, and Echo, age 14 months(orange wing amazon). Since we bought Echo home, they have never gotten along. Usually, the cages are on opposite sides of the room. Radar up until now has only been curious about Echo, but Echo wants nothing to do with Radar and screams when he gets near and tries to bite him. A month ago, I rearranged the furniture in the living room and the cages are now separated by 5 feet with a wooden buffet between the two. They seemed to be more curious about each other, getting closer and closer with no issues. Radar was able to preen echo's head (I was holding him and very vigilant), and echo preened Radar's tail feathers. They are usually out at the same time and avoid each other's cages. Radar is fully flighted at the moment and has started flying over to echo's cage. Because they usually fight, we usually get him back to his own cage immediately.

Last week, Radar started hopping onto the buffet and going towards Echo's cage. Echo would start screaming... One day, My 10 year old daughter was there and the birds were too close. Radar was lunging and hissing, Echo was screaming and posturing. Sarah started yelling at the birds and moving her hands wildly near them to get them to fly or move away. It only escalated the scene. Both birds were frightened but blame each other. Now, Radar hops on the buffet, scoots himself to Echo's cage, and starts hissing like a cat screaming NO NO. He is impossible to pick up, bites whoever comes near, and usually requires me grabbing him from behind to lock him back up. Yesterday,he stepped up just fine for me, but as I put him back on his cage, he lunged and bit my top lip, cutting it and likely leaving a scar. His aggression is spilling over into everything. He will be sweet one moment, and then start yelling NO or GO and bite my arm. We have not been yelling at him at all with the exception of the kid in the episode mentioned above, and the hostility started a few weeks before the cages were even moved and has just escalated.

I am aware now the cages are too close and will have to rearrange them to get the boys more distance between them. I am so frustrated with Radar and his hostility. I certainly do not want to be bitten on my face again! What can I do?

Beth

Never use your hands when breaking up fights between parrots. Always have a hand perch nearby and use it on either bird when you're trying to get in between an angry parrot who's fighting another parrot. Both parrots might bite you if you use your bare hands/wrists/lower arms. That's rule 101 concerning fighting. The perch should be 10 inches or longer. Use the tip of the perch near the feet. Always have the perch aimed in a slightly upward position. Parrots normally go upward so the chances of either parrot walking downward on the perch towards your hand lessen.

Since all greys and amazons are different than the next grey or amazon, trying to manage the situation will take time. You need to try diferent things., As of now, separation is important especially if one of those birds has it's eyes on your face. I have no idea when you brought home the newer bird but if it was a short time ago, those birds need to get used to each other. If you've changed anything concerning food, treats or water, you should never decide to give these things to the new bird FIRST. The first bird is and should be the main bird who should be given everything first! Never change that rule! The other thing here is that those 2 birds may not like each other and need time out separately until they get used to each other. Others here have birds that don't like each other and must be watched when they're both out of their cages.

Edited by Dave007

Thanks Dave. We have had Echo for over a year. Radar always gets served first, let out of his cage first. etc. He is the alpha bird. Unfortunately that day the birds were arguing, my 10 year old just started waving her hands wildly at them and it scared them... but they blame each other and not her. I have a perch that I tried to pick Radar up with, but unfortunately, they re both terrified of the perch and will take off in flight to get away from it.

I rearranged the living room today and the cages are completely separate from each other and both birds are happy so far. Hopefully this will help in calming them down.

Is there a chance they could work it out if left alone? Maybe not, but my guys have issues but they end up in some kind of "deal" or something. I know my little quaker is always itching for a fight with somebody. Brutus is smart enough to know how to spar with him and get the upper hand. He enjoys it like a game, but Pancho will give up his normal perching area just so Jimpster wins.

Well, yes and no. I moved the furniture around so they had more distance between cages. The peacefulness lasted a few hours until Radar flew onto Echo's cage. (Radar is fully flighted at the moment, Echo is not). I have figured out that as long as Radar is flighted, they can no longer be out at the same time. Secondly, Radar is still being very aggressive to everyone. Yesterday he flew onto Echo's cage, grabbed some corn that was on the top of it, leaned over so Echo could see him eat it, and flew back to his cage.

Another new development is that the ires are yelling at each other and having arguments. No specific words, just very heated exchanges of noises and cage rattling. It's actually quite funny to watch because it is obvious they are arguing.

I will be getting Radar clipped in a few days, so hopefully that will prevent him from flying onto Echo's cage across the room.

I have also been very on top of the kids about yelling at Radar for any reason. I notice they yell when he flies to Echo's cage, when he flies to the hall, etc. They mean well, but all it does is make him more aggressive.

Beth