NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How Do You Get Your Grey Into a Travel Cage?

chezron

Gracie used to go in her travel cage willingly and happily, but she resists now. What I do is I put the travel cage in the bathroom. Then I have her step up and we go to the bathroom together. The bathroom is too small for her to fly off an navigate well, so she goes in the travel cage easily.

I just pick up my TAG, Ana Grey, and put one hand over her back. She goes in easily. My CAG, Sterling Gris, I do the same. My male BF zon,Louie, I just put the cage lined up with his front door and ssay, "let's go" and he goes it. He knows a travel cage means "I get to go outside into the sun". (remember I cannot handle Louie). Lulu, female BF zon, I just ask to step up and in she goes. My gang love the sun.

One thing you can do. Birds relate the dark to night and they do not normally move around in the dark. So darken the room and step up your parrot and then put said parrot into the travel cage.

Because I live alone and have 5 birds I have to get outside in an emergency, I have worked on this technique for my own peace of mind.

They just know when they're going to the vet & they aren't usually so cooperative. I'll ask nice twice. Then they get toweled & popped in the carrier so quickly they don't have time to get worked up about it.

Otherwise, I tell them "we're going on an adventure" beforehand. Then I tell them what we'll be doing while I set up the cage(s). I think a running a dialogue about activities is important & a bit of happy, chirpy energy doesn't hurt.

I open Kura's big cage & start w/her because she's the easiest. When the little cage is set up, I ask if she's ready, then give her a couple of minutes because ekkies are pretty slow movers most days. I'll put her on the carrier if she doesn't get onto it herself. On the rare day she doesn't want to go in or actually gives me attitude, I leave her & move on.

Everyone gets their turn. If they really object, they get left behind. Some days, they don't feel like going on safari & I think they should be allowed to stay in. Apparently, it works for them because they won't usually opt out twice in a row.

Haahaa...it's not really a struggle and force here. Think of it more like the usual song & dance. She knows I want her in there, she resists, plays hang-on and we go round and round - sometimes we'll start dancing and she'll sing. After a while I can tell she's had her fun and she'll willingly go in. Sometimes bedtime takes up to half an hour. Last night she was really pleased with herself as she drew it out to the max and as usual - I let her drag it on and on.

Awwww... you guys are too nice!I pick my birds up... and put them IN! Always tell them " good job!" I was glad when we had a fire, that my birds were aware of what " IN" means. NO negotiation! I used my " IN" voice, and they did it. It was a successful experience.

Most greys won't get in the carrier no matter how nice you are. If off to the vet or groomer, you just have to do it! Don't worry about them being mad at you. In two minutes.... they will be talking to you from their carrier. You will be talking back, and all is good. Nancy

Chezron... You are not a wuss! It is people like you, that remind me, that " sure", I can get Sophie to do anything I ask of her, for safety reasons,but she has emotions too.I am reminded, that Sophie has " feelings", and I need to be aware of that. Stay in touch with your emotions always! The safety part, is easy! Nancy

You know what I am not a wuss, and after researching this more, there are ways to do it without creating an enemy. There is a set of videos on You Tube where she uses rewards for small steps and uses the word, "good" rather than a clicker. I know there is probably a special section on this forum for training and I have never looked at it. We are going to start with consistent step ups and progress from there. My guy is a good guy and we will get there together. African Greys have an incredible memory and hold grudges. Why give him a reason to dislike me?

I had to bribe Babalu with cheese at first. I started off using a plastic cat kennel that the top half came off. I took top off and put the cheese down inside then him. Pretty soon, I didn't have to bribe or take the top off! I mainly use the cat kennel to bring him out to the aviary, and he likes going outside.

By jove I think I've got it! The way I do it now is place an open travel cage on a low wheeled cabinet and open Brutus' door and wait for him to go in the travel cage. Lately he is taking his sweet time. I think I will do this every day and when he realizes that going into the travel cage means he will be let out-- he will do it easily. I will make it a routine. Everyday travel cage in front of his cage and the minute he goes in I will let him out to eat lunch. He will be doing it in no time! :)

Talon my tag will go in happily! Nilah my amazon needs assistance in me pushing her head down lightly and putting her in while she's on my hand. Rikki my cag on the other hand has to be stuffed in and the door slammed shut super fast!!! Once she's in, she's fine, but won't have anything to do with going in willingly...sometimes you do what you have to do!

What worked for us is when ever they go back to a cage, travel or main cage there is a treat hidden some place in their cage.

When they come out of their cage ether my wife or myself will hide a treat in their cage so they always have some thing to look for when they go back to their cage or the travel cage.

I used to have a cat carrier for Alfie and I had to do the bathroom trick to get him in it. Put the cage in the bathroom with a cloth or towel over it to try and hide it then take him in the bathroom and shut the door. As soon as he realised what was going on he would try and get away from the carrier. But with the bathroom being such a small space, he had nowhere to go except to try and sit on my arms/hands/shoulders/head. It didn't take me too long to get him in there, as once he realised he didn't have an escape route, he'd give up and let me put him in. (though I did have to close the door as quickly as possible so he didn't dart out).

Now, I've got a Kings travel cage. I love it. Makes it so much easier. I set it down on the table and get Alfie out of his cage. I let them spy the cage from a distance and leave the door open. Then I get him to either step up or fly to me and we go over to the cage. He goes in straight away. Sometimes he does try to dart out again, but generally he's pretty good these days. So much easier than the cat carrier and bathroom trick!

Today he got to go to my parents house. He hates the travelling part though and constantly climbs round the cage in circles. I have to remind him to hold on tight when I go round corners etc because he's always climbing and I'm worried about him slipping off. But once he gets to where we're going (generally my parents house or the vet) he's ok and settles down nicely. It's just being in the car that's the problem.

Well, the cheese technique worked quickly and flawlessly. I put the cheese in the far corner of the travel cage and set it in the opening of his main cage and he walked right in. I threw a towel over the opening as I closed the door and he was in. He loves to ride in the car. I took all three parrots to get their nails clipped today. Yeah! I have one travel cage that zips into a backpack, and two, I carry, so no one gets left in the car. When we were waiting to have our turn people kept walking by (it was busy on Sunday) and saying, "They are so calm" and they were, the whole time. When we got home they all had a trip outside for sun, a shower bath, and a fresh lunch and now they can barely keep their eyes open and they are grinding their beaks. Good day!

• 2 weeks later...

with my traveling lifestyle, getting Amadeus into the traveling cage is still hard. I used to just towel him, and the squawking and biting thru the towel were traumatic for me and him. Now I just bring the cage in, set it down, and he knows he is going somewhere. I close up his main cage so he can't get back in and he just flies away from me when I reach my hand up to him. Once he is on the floor he steps up to my hand and I put him in the traveler. He is resigned to getting in after all the excitement of flying away from me. I don't know why he always trusts me from the floor and not from the cage. I sometimes drive for days at a time to cross the country with my trailer. I have 2 wooden branches bolted close to each other in the corner of the cage closest to me while I drive. I keep the rearview pointed at him so I can watch him. He has learned to keep one foot on the front of the cage and one on a branch for the bumpy parts of the ride. He gets annoyed when the sun goes down. He wishes to stop when it gets dark outside.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q615/bfootn/20140801_095223_zps9185b635.jpg?t=1406820395

He is in his traveling cage in the pic. My trailer is up north with the main cage while I am home.

Edited by Blair
add pic link

I've never known a grey that would not step up from the floor, even if they refuse from everywhere else. That is very "normal" for them. It is also normal for them to be up with the sun and to bed with sunset. Amadeus sounds like a perfecting "normal" grey to me! :)

I am gone from the trailer most working days for approximately 12 hours. I leave the tv on for him while I am gone. My trailer is parked in the Allegheny mountains right now. It is a rather ideal location as a private landowner lets me park behind his barn in a wooded, private area that he had utilities run to. I can leave the blinds up during the day there and he can watch the wildlife meander around. Deer, turkey, bears are in the area but I have yet to see one on the property although out on the pipeline right of way bears are everywhere.

If your grey will step up for you, once you have him on your hand place your other hand over his back and pop into the travel cage. If that won't work, birds do not normally move around in the dark so, darken the room and pick him up and pop him into the travel cage.

On another note, you must see some beautiful country, I am very jealous. Before my late husband passed, we went by motor home across all of the US and into Mexico and Canada. Great experience that I truly enjoyed.

Edited by luvparrots

To tell you the truth, I enjoy being in more urban areas for grocery shopping. I always seem to be in the remotest areas of the U.S. for work. I do miss Publix here in the south. When I work the west it is always dusty and hot. My girlfriend lives in Salt Lake City area, and she is the person who gave me the bird. Her son was the previous owner and he could not take care of him. Being given a parrot, cages, and accessories is just the initiation. She laughs at me now as she knows she did well in finding a home for him. She says he is a happy bird now. Only problem is I can't fly to see her now. She has to fly to me.