NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Can a grey and amazon live in the same house?

Michellec

I volunteer at an aviary and an amazon appears to have decided he really likes me and I think he's pretty neat too. He is 20+ yrs old and is an ex-breeder bird. I have a 15-1/2 month old female CAG at home.

Is it even possible to have two? The amazon is a dominant bird. I'm just kicking around the idea. I could possibly foster the amazon and see how it goes. However my grey is my first larger bird. (Had a budgie as a child and a conure in my teen years)

I need to read a lot so if you have good websites about the reality of two parrots, about amazons, or if you can share your experience.

Like I said I'm just sharing what I'm thinking and considering and am asking for information. You all have been amazing when we brought our CAG home ten months ago.

Thank you.

Michelle

There are some folks on here that have both an Amazon and a Grey in their homes. You may have a pouting Grey for a while or your grey may be interested in the new bird and new sounds. I would suggest separate cages and separate out of cage times as well for safety. Do make your bird the center of attention to avoiding his feeling displaced. Watch your birds reactions to the fostered Amazon and understand it will take a few weeks to see how things balance out.

I have 2 greys and a blue front amazon. All 3 years old. They do fine. The male grey can get a little uppity at times but Pudge my zon just flies to me when she wants to be left alone.

I haven't actually had any of them dna sexed but their Vet feels confident he's correct in their gender. If he is indeed correct than I have a female amazon and a male and female grey (brother and sister from the same clutch). The "females" get a long great.

I have both a Panama Amazon and a CAG. Maalik, my CAG, harasses Harley every chance that he gets. Harley's my big green chicken and is essentially afraid of Maalik. They'll posture, but they don't get into any harmful squabbles. Usually if one gets too close, the other one will fly away.

At first I was afraid of letting them work things out for fear of injury, but they've found a way to cohabitate in peace.

Edited by Greytness

I have 6 year old TAG, Ana Grey, whom I have had since she was 4 months old, and a 3 year old CAG, Sterling Gris, who has lived with me since he was 5 months old. I also have a re-homed Blue Front ZON, Louie, who is 6 years old who has lived with me since he was 1 1/2 years old and a Blue Front ZON, Lulu, who is 33 years old, who has lived with me since July 1 or so. My greys beak each other politely now and then. My zons do not interact at all. My parrots do not interact all together at all. If one wants to be where another is they fly there and the other leaves. They do follow each other around my home from bird room to kitchen to living room. My greys and Louie the zon are fully flighted and go here and there at will. Lulu I believe was cage bound so is just trying to fly so it is hit and miss for her.

I am very confident that my parrots can cohabitate together however I do keep an eye on them to be on the safe side.

My TAG, who was my first parrot can be a stinker if she wants. I had to re-home an older ekkie because she dived bombed him every chance she got and I do have a male canary that I have to keep in his cage when she is out because she will peck at him with no mercy.

So I guess the answer is if their personalities are compatible it can be done. You just need to give it a try. If they cannot get alone do you have the time to take them out of their cages at different times.

My birds were not chosen for their personalities, they came to me as is. I have a AG, cag and amazon. They are alwaysost at the same time. They know the pecking order and respect it for the most part. They tolerate each other, my cag has no use for my amazon and she know it and respects it. My amazon and tag aren't friends, but tease and joke and sometimes play chase with each other, but my tag is much smaller and keeps her distance mostly.

Thanks.

Do I need to be worried about how the amazon acts at the aviary? If I hold one of the other amazons, he flies over and lands on my shoulder. He does not mess with them but he did nip my ear as if to say "hey you are my human". He is a BIG yellow nape. Former breeder bird. I will ask a lot more questions when I go volunteer next week and I'll handle him again and see how we do. I don't want to jump into anything and have more visits and would foster him for a while.However there is the part of me that believes when a bird chooses to attach to you like he seems to have done with me, then he'd be a great bird for me.

However, I am not experienced and don't know amazons.

We had no problems with two birds. We found the big jump was from two to three.

- No longer is everything just one trip. Now I need two trips: one trip I can take two birds then I have to turn around and go get the third.

- We can't take them 'all' for rides or harness outings anymore. Someone has to stay behind which doesn't work so only one can go.

- Feedings are now a real PITA. I have to feed them in stages instead of all at the same time.

- The birdy area in the living room is no longer big enough, one of them has to go somewhere else to stop the bickering.

...etc

Thank you all. Going to spend another day with him next week. I'll probably do that for a few more weeks and will ask more questions.

He was a very protective parent bird and very good with his babies.....does this mean he will be that way with me to the extent that he would begin to reject others and be aggressive toward my grey? He's at least 20 yrs old which I like since his personality is probably pretty set?

I have a grey and an Amazon ( and a red fronted Macaw). Everyone is out all day and only in their own cages at night to sleep. Everyone co-exists nicely. The room is big enough so that if a tiff were to happen there is enough room if they feel they need to leave the situation. For me my set up works and my birds are happy.